Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Muledeer was asked why he'd shoot a Mossberg patriot.
He said:
But I also often try rifles that most snobs would refuse to consider. Have always figured my job involved actual journalism, not just shooting certain rifles that are "correct" among some rifle loonies, whether the loonies tend to prefer "classic" or "modern." As a result, I have learned quite a bit of unexpected information.

That made me smile.

Why shoot a Mossberg? Why not?

As a gunsmith I can say something here that will be like trowing a cherry bomb into a toilet, but the statement is true.
I would take a Mossberg over a Remington M700. The Mossberg action is one I trust more. I have had to replace 1 broken (actually lost so I assume it broke) extractor on a Mossberg, and quite a few on Remingtons. I have also seen many Remingtons with the trigger problems come to my shop for replacement and in the last 50 years I have had to re-solder the bolt handles onto about 50 Remingtons when they came off.

The Mossberg is not as slick and the bolts wobble a lot when opened. Overall to my eyes the Mossberg is not as pretty as the Remington.

But the extractors are the "T Head" type and so if they break they are easy and very cheap to fix. They have the separate bolt head so they center up well, and the bolt handles can't break or come off the bolt as I have seen many Remingtons do.
Their triggers are safe and not "prone to get the maker successfully sued".
The accuracy seems to be quite good in the ones I have shot.

I hate the fact that in both the Mossberg and the newer Remingtons, the safety does not lock the bolt shut, but on my Mossberg MVP I made a modification to do just that.

Overall I rate the Remington prettier, but the Mossberg more reliable, and the Patriots are an excellent value for a rifle in today's market.
I don't think of them as being on the same level as a custom Mauser, a Winchester Controlled feed M70 or even a Ruger 77 Mk2 for reliability, but I say the same thing about the M700s too. For a push feed action I think the Patriot is the best value out there.

If I were to rate all the push-feed rifles you can buy today at most gun-shops I rate the Howa as the best of the lot for design, but the Mossberg as the best value for the dollar.

Last edited by szihn; 02/12/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I detest the lack of a bolt lock on many modern bolt actions. Can you add a bolt lock to a Mossberg for me? I don't own one but the wood stock versions are pretty nice for the money.The only thing missing is the bolt lock.

I tend to use Rugers,Winchesters,and Howas becasue they all feature 3 position safeties which of course include a bolt lock.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My neighbor bought a slightly used Mossberg Patriot .270 WSM and put a Zeiss Conquest 4-12 scope on it and killed a big 12 point buck in Saskatchewan, I think, this past November. He shot it at 325 yards D.R.T. My son in law has one in .30-06 that I like. Nothing wrong with a Mossy.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rug3
We, on the campfire, have an amazing ability to get way off topic. I'll attempt to take us further. The original question, asked by 358wsm was, "What can you do with a 280 that you cant with a 270?"

It's possible that his psyche was effected by his father when he was a little boy. Could his dad have read the magazine writers previous to his birth and been amazed by the 270 stories written by John Jobson, Jack O'Connor and others? Then later believed the advertising by Winchester about a new rifle/cartridge combination of Model 100 in .284 and purchased one because the 125 grain .284 was to duplicate the 130 grain 270.

His dad would have been awed by the results of that combination on the whitetail. So amazed that he came to believe that the .284 was capable of better results on game than even the 270 or the 30 cal bullets. That would have been the beginning of his dad becoming a "rifle loonie." As 358wsm grew he may have heard glowing reports of the magnificent .284 and thus permanently planted in his psyche the desire to have one.

Now, I have more than a passing acquaintance with his dad. A peculiar fact is his dad doesn't own anything in a .284 today. He does own a .270 and believes it's probably capable of whatever the .284 would do on game.

358wsm is a knowledgeable rifle loonie and one very fine marksman. When Barsness weighed in I'll bet he had his answer technically confirmed. The real question is not, "What can you do with a 280 that you cant with a 270?," but rather "What can 358wsm do with a 280 that he cant with a 270?" The answer to that is it would satisfy his desire to have one. I tend to think of inclining steps in power 25/06, 270, 280, 30/06, 338/06, Whelen etc.

Yes indeed.
The 284 + 120 NBT = A lotta Whitetail steak.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't read the whole thread but I always think that it is interesting that Jack O'Conner's last custom rifle by the Bieson's was a 280. Unfortunately he passed away before the rifle was finished. I wonder where it is now or if anyone has photos of it?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
keith,

I'm getting very good accuracy, around .5 to .7 inch, with both 145 ELD-X's and 150 Nosler AccuBond Long Range bullets in my .270--which is not a custom rifle but a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, the O'Connor Commemorative model. But I did not get great accuracy until after seating both bullets deeper considerably deeper, which I have found to often shrink groups with both ELDs and ABLRs in other cartridges as well. My 6.5 PRC (a 700 action with a Lilja barrel) did not shoot 129 ABLRs all that well until they were seated over .1 from the lands, whereupon it started putting 5 shots (not 3) into .5 inch.

Basically duplicated the .270 results with a Mossberg Patriot, including velocities of around 3100 with the 145 ELD and 3050 with the ABLR, using Reloder 26.

Thanks!

I quit jumping around .060, must have killed any positive results. Need to try again, along with the 270 in Nosler 150g lrab.

I have worked with one patriot wood stock rifle in 308, got 3/8" groups pretty quick with 155g Scenar with R#15 and Varget. There are some things to like about this action.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I also recently purchased a Mossberg Patriot in 6.5CM (the cerakote version)--a black friday special for $320 all in. I was a little tired of my teenage boys being a little rough on my "nice" rifles. I topped the Mossberg with a Cabelas Instinct (Meopta) 3-9x40. My first range session with 120gr Speer Hot Cors yielded a <1" group at 100yds. Needless to say, I'm very happy with it.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Because I was an assigned an article. But I also often try rifles that most snobs would refuse to consider. Have always figured my job involved actual journalism, not just shooting certain rifles that are "correct" among some rifle loonies, whether the loonies tend to prefer "classic" or "modern." As a result, I have learned quite a bit of unexpected information.

The Mossberg also had a walnut stock that was very nicely figured. Might post a photo later.

I bought a Patriot in 6.5 CM in 2018 for one of my son's friends to use for his first deer hunt. I had planned to give it to him when he graduates from high school, but that isn't going to happen. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it shoots. I still think that the Marlin X guns were a better entry-level cf rifle, but the Patriot has been accurate and reliable through multiple range visits and about 200 rounds fired.

I have a hard time envisioning some of your contemporaries using such a plebeian grade of firearm, let along write a positive word about one.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
358WSM: I have a lot of Rifles including several in caliber 270 Winchester and one in 270 WSM.
I also greatly enjoy my Rifles in 280 Remington, 7mm08 and 7mm Remington Magnum!
I say own'em all and use'em all.
Its fun and rewarding.
By the way, I think there is NO definitive correct or incorrect answer to your initial query.
So I'll add this regarding that - don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy!
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I do believe that the fine folks at Winchester Repeating Arms Company back in 1923 developed the 270 Winchester cartridge JUST to make closet homosexuals, in the future, doubt there masculinity!
He-he.
Good job Winchester people.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Tejano
Didn't read the whole thread but I always think that it is interesting that Jack O'Conner's last custom rifle by the Bieson's was a 280. Unfortunately he passed away before the rifle was finished. I wonder where it is now or if anyone has photos of it?

AFAIK,the rifle you are referring to is in the hands of Henry Kaufman.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
keith,

You're welcome. With all the new bullets these days, it's getting so I'm trying MUCH deeper seating a lot of the time--and sometimes it even works!

I also have a Mossberg Patriot in .308 which shoots VERY well--though right now it's on loan to the daughter of a friend, who needed a light rifle that's sufficient for elk....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by szihn
Muledeer was asked why he'd shoot a Mossberg patriot.
He said:
But I also often try rifles that most snobs would refuse to consider. Have always figured my job involved actual journalism, not just shooting certain rifles that are "correct" among some rifle loonies, whether the loonies tend to prefer "classic" or "modern." As a result, I have learned quite a bit of unexpected information.

That made me smile.

Why shoot a Mossberg? Why not?

As a gunsmith I can say something here that will be like trowing a cherry bomb into a toilet, but the statement is true.
I would take a Mossberg over a Remington M700. The Mossberg action is one I trust more. I have had to replace 1 broken (actually lost so I assume it broke) extractor on a Mossberg, and quite a few on Remingtons. I have also seen many Remingtons with the trigger problems come to my shop for replacement and in the last 50 years I have had to re-solder the bolt handles onto about 50 Remingtons when they came off.

The Mossberg is not as slick and the bolts wobble a lot when opened. Overall to my eyes the Mossberg is not as pretty as the Remington.

But the extractors are the "T Head" type and so if they break they are easy and very cheap to fix. They have the separate bolt head so they center up well, and the bolt handles can't break or come off the bolt as I have seen many Remingtons do.
Their triggers are safe and not "prone to get the maker successfully sued".
The accuracy seems to be quite good in the ones I have shot.

I hate the fact that in both the Mossberg and the newer Remingtons, the safety does not lock the bolt shut, but on my Mossberg MVP I made a modification to do just that.

Overall I rate the Remington prettier, but the Mossberg more reliable, and the Patriots are an excellent value for a rifle in today's market.
I don't think of them as being on the same level as a custom Mauser, a Winchester Controlled feed M70 or even a Ruger 77 Mk2 for reliability, but I say the same thing about the M700s too. For a push feed action I think the Patriot is the best value out there.

If I were to rate all the push-feed rifles you can buy today at most gun-shops I rate the Howa as the best of the lot for design, but the Mossberg as the best value for the dollar.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 6.5 CM. It is a functional rifle, maybe the quintessential truck gun that we all long to find. Cheap to buy, accurate to shoot, and won't be missed for long if it is lost or stolen. Maybe expendable is a good way to categorize it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well JOC isn't here to tell us so.....

I've thot of this before I'm wondering.......

he had all the custom 270s he wanted so do something different or FOR someone in the family ?

don't know of course.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shoot 7mm bullets

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[/quote]

Well JOC isn't here to tell us so.....

I've thot of this before I'm wondering.......

he had all the custom 270s he wanted so do something different or FOR someone in the family ?

don't know of course.

Jerry[/quote]

Bradford O'Conner has made a few posts on here I was hoping he would see this maybe. But I guess the BS might have soured him on the fire. I believe it was on a Ruger action, if so another departure for JOC. I looked at the Biesen web sight and Paula has done a good job of updating it. Check out her rifle here: http://www.biesen.com/ it doesn't mentioned what caliber but I would bet that it is a .270.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

AFAIK,the rifle you are referring to is in the hands of Henry Kaufman.

Elkhunter

You may very well be right. I have attended about half the recent fundraiser weekends (held in mid-June) for the Jack O'Connor Heritage Center in Lewiston, and one of the highlights is a small "gun show," with maybe 30 tables. Many of the rifles are not for sale, because they're ex-O'Connor rifles (both Jack's and Eleanor's) shown by their present owners. Henry Kaufman has been there, and we met and had several interesting conversations. I might have seen that very rifle on his table the first time I attended, in 2014.

Am going to be checking with Brad about various things soon, and will ask him.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JB and Jordan,

I am enjoying the discussion you two are having about drift at 400.

One comment that I'd like to make, if you will, is about "shootable" wind for many/most hunters. I'm not talking West Tex, Wyoming, Montana, or maybe Alberta where it often blows hard, but a ~5 MPH wind. Or put another way, "Out to what distance, do you not need to hold for wind?" Target could be a 12" plate or elk vitals.

I've shot with a bunch of friends, co-workers, etc. And have coached many, although I am not any sort of shooting instructor. When asked the above question, they just stare at me. Then check their paper DOPE or app. My answer to them is, "400 yards". This applies to many big game hunting cartridges. At least for hitting our 12" plates with room to spare. If there is a breeze, just hold dead-on and pull the trigger. Don't worry about the wind whether shooting ping-pong balls or high BC bullets. If the wind is more than a breeze, then you need more trigger time in those conditions. And higher BC helps, but I don't think most hunters practice enough to shoot in 20 - 30 MPH winds at 400 yards.

Jason

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point
JB and Jordan,

I am enjoying the discussion you two are having about drift at 400.

One comment that I'd like to make, if you will, is about "shootable" wind for many/most hunters. I'm not talking West Tex, Wyoming, Montana, or maybe Alberta where it often blows hard, but a ~5 MPH wind. Or put another way, "Out to what distance, do you not need to hold for wind?" Target could be a 12" plate or elk vitals.

I've shot with a bunch of friends, co-workers, etc. And have coached many, although I am not any sort of shooting instructor. When asked the above question, they just stare at me. Then check their paper DOPE or app. My answer to them is, "400 yards". This applies to many big game hunting cartridges. At least for hitting our 12" plates with room to spare. If there is a breeze, just hold dead-on and pull the trigger. Don't worry about the wind whether shooting ping-pong balls or high BC bullets. If the wind is more than a breeze, then you need more trigger time in those conditions. And higher BC helps, but I don't think most hunters practice enough to shoot in 20 - 30 MPH winds at 400 yards.

Jason

Jason,

That's an interesting perspective. Running some numbers using JBM, and again using 30deg F, 4000 feet ASL, and assuming that with a center hold wind drift must be less than 12",

using a a 5 mph full-value wind,

.280 180 ELD-M at 2700 fps - 675 meters
.280 195 EOL at 2550 fps - 630 meters
.270 145 ELD-X at 3100 fps - 600 meters
.270 170 EOL at 2750 fps - 600 meters
30-06 165 NP at 2830 - 485 meters

Using 10 mph wind,

.280 180 ELD-M at 2700 fps - 490 meters
.280 195 EOL at 2550 fps - 455 meters
.270 145 ELD-X at 3100 fps - 435 meters
.270 170 EOL at 2750 fps - 435 meters
30-06 165 NP at 2830 - 350 meters

Using 20 mph wind,

.280 180 ELD-M at 2700 fps - 350 meters
.280 195 EOL at 2550 fps - 325 meters
.270 145 ELD-X at 3100 fps - 315 meters
.270 170 EOL at 2750 fps - 310 meters
.30-06 165 NP at 2830 - 255 meters

For a standard hunting load (that .30-06 load is Federal factory ammo), your estimation of 400 yards (365 meters) is spot on for a wind speed of about 8 mph. But as we can see, using a slickery bullet makes a difference.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

[/quote]

Am going to be checking with Brad about various things soon, and will ask him.

[/quote]

Photos would be greatly appreciated. The Biesen's rifles just got more refined as they went along. I liked the story from the web site of Al Biesen telling O'Conner he needed a good rifle and JOC thought the guy was an upstart, then later proceeds to order some 35 rifles from Al.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruraldoc I sent you a PM. I can show you how I did the bolt lock. It was pretty easy.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The Al Biesen O’Connor rifle discussed above is indeed owned by Hank Kaufman. It is true that the rifle was unfinished when Jack died, and at Jack’s funeral the O’Connor family instructed Al to complete the rifle. When it was finished, the family agreed to let Hank have the rifle for the remaining cost of having it completed.

The rifle has the original factory Ruger barrel, turned down, in .280 Remington, with custom rings and a Leupold 4x scope. I have had it in my hands, but don’t recall it being displayed at the O’Connor center annual shindig.

It is fitting that the rifle went to Hank, who was a lifelong friend and hunting partner of Jack’s, and with whom Jack made his last hunt.

Last edited by GF1; 02/13/20.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,498 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.