Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i was 14, thanks for his serviceé

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I was born that year but always interested in hearing about those before me. Especially vets.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks T Bone. My day wasn't so bad after all. Great story. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, T-Bone, after looking at that photo a bit, it appears that he took a hit in the left wing flap, just outboard of the tail boom and near the port engine exhaust. It was either anti-aircraft artillery (37mm?) that went off just above the flap, or a heat-seeking missile that just missed that hot exhaust but detonated via proximity fuze. The pattern of holes shows the main blast hit from above, and there are numerous warhead fragment holes in the boom.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very cool!!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thank God for men like your Pa.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
T, Glad your dad made it home safely after that experience....I was a senior in High School that year....

This has been 25 plus years ago, but my wife and I were at an Air Show in St Paul, at the old St Paul Airport..

There was an OV 10 there.... the interesting thing about it, was that pilot of the plane was also the owner...

He had manage to buy the OV 10 as a surplus A/C in the mid to late 80s, and IIRC, he bought it out of Davis Monthan AFB in Arizona....he had gotten some sort of special permission to do so...

The OV 10 he had at the airshow, was the same AC he was flying FAC Missions in SE Asia during the Vietnam War...

but he and evidently the A/C made it home safely....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These, too, were amazing men.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
BTW, T-Bone, after looking at that photo a bit, it appears that he took a hit in the left wing flap, just outboard of the tail boom and near the port engine exhaust. It was either anti-aircraft artillery (37mm?) that went off just above the flap, or a heat-seeking missile that just missed that hot exhaust but detonated via proximity fuze. The pattern of holes shows the main blast hit from above, and there are numerous warhead fragment holes in the boom.

Rocky,

You are correct on both your replies. He wasn't a drinker, but he played a lot of volleyball outside the Rusty Nail.

The damage in the picture posted was from AA. From a AA gunner that was very good.

My Dad describes it in a way that I can't wrap my head around, but it may make sense to you.

This particular AA placement was in a spot that he had to fly within range of every flight. Over a period of weeks and near fatal misses and hits, my Dad grew to really looked forward to this one encounter every flight. The AA gunner/team was more skilled than average, he/they adjusted immediately to every evasive tactic my Father could design and fly.

After the second near fatal hit, my Father decided to end the game of chess with a single puff of white smoke, seconds later, fast movers turned the AA placement into a muddy crater.

And the part I don't understand.....my Dad really missed that daily encounter with that particular AA placement. Still to this day, he gets emotional about it, as if talking about having to put your favorite dog down.

This is something only those that have played that game may understand.

Last edited by T Bone; 02/12/20.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Their bar hooch was called the Nail Hole. A former Nail FAC I knew built an exact replica of it in his basement.

I understand his game perfectly. It's a high-stakes game you play against an equal adversary. Pro on pro. Every encounter proves who is the better fighter, until one wins permanently. But that ends the game - and the winner no longer gets to test himself to that level.

BTDT, by the way. Never a single identifiable shooter, but we had locations where the bad guys were all 9-level graduates of anti-aircraft school. Every time we had to go there, it was winner take all.

Against poor to average gunners, the tracers all go behind you. When you see tracers passing ahead of you, you're dealing with the pros and you'd better up your game right damn now. Getting home with only a few new holes gets a fist pump. Getting home unscathed warrants tying one on.

As you say, you have to have done it to get it.

T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks Rocky,

Much respect to you.

It blows my mind how "normal" it was for the FAC aircraft to get shredded by AA, MG, and small arms fire.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by T Bone

Rocky,

You are correct on both your replies. He wasn't a drinker, but he played a lot of volleyball outside the Rusty Nail.

The damage in the picture posted was from AA. From a AA gunner that was very good.

My Dad describes it in a way that I can't wrap my head around, but it may make sense to you.

This particular AA placement was in a spot that he had to fly within range of every flight. Over a period of weeks and near fatal misses and hits, my Dad grew to really looked forward to this one encounter every flight. The AA gunner/team was more skilled than average, he/they adjusted immediately to every evasive tactic my Father could design and fly.

After the second near fatal hit, my Father decided to end the game of chess with a single puff of white smoke, seconds later, fast movers turned the AA placement into a muddy crater.

And the part I don't understand.....my Dad really missed that daily encounter with that particular AA placement. Still to this day, he gets emotional about it, as if talking about having to put your favorite dog down.

This is something only those that have played that game may understand.

Thanks T-Bone and Rocky. It is an honor to read of valient acts done by brave men.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just remember, Idaho, "brave" does not mean unafraid. It means saddling up despite being scared spitless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
50 years ago I was an 11 year old celebrating KC win in the Super Bowl

When I should have been celebrating men like your dad

They won again & im happy for them & their fans.

But I’ve wised up a tad, God bless our military members & their families.

They’ll have another SB next year. But for those folks that give all or come home wounded either physically or mentally, life will never be the same for them or their families

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
50 years ago I was 2 years old and probably watching Sesame Street. Thanks to men like your dad I could.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
50 years ago my ass was glued to the seat of an Grumman Ag Cat 600 HP spray plane for the next 40 years! Powers that be told me one gunshot wound while on active duty was enough....which kept me out of VN!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm guessing he was a Nail FAC (callsign Nail-xx) and those guys took over the day FAC mission on the Trail when it became less than survivable for O-2 aircraft.

My father was Nail-28

T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Their bar hooch was called the Nail Hole. A former Nail FAC I knew built an exact replica of it in his basement.

Correct again Rocky!

[Linked Image]

T
T Bone Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
12.7 MM that started a small fire in the cock pit, and burned his cheek

[Linked Image]

Last edited by T Bone; 02/12/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (257 mag, 2UP, 37L1, 7887mm08, 35, 22 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,620
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.