-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote] At the time, some legislators echoed concerns from the Idaho Farm Bureau Federation, Idaho Cattle Association and representatives for DF Development, a company owned by Texas billionaires Dan and Farris Wilks, that the bill would open landowners up to constant litigation. /quote]

This is probably at the heart of the current problems, a couple of Texas Billionaires that have purchased hundreds of thousands of Idaho land and want to have and are buying Texas type law in Idaho.
It's known they were "quietly behind the scenes" of restrictive state laws affecting hunters passed in the last couple of years or so.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Don't be obtuse. I am currently surrounded by NF and am intimately aware of the dangers posed. I didn't say anything about letting the "ranchers" land burn. Simply pointing out it's hunky dory to keep everyone out until in this hypothetical they'd need to cross to put out the fire.

I personally have not seen firefighters ask anyone for permission to trespass while fighting a fire.

Nor have I. My point is the "rancher" isn't likely to stop them. You either need another cup of coffee or are being intentionally dense.

You are the one that brought up fire fighting efforts. I think your intent was plain.

I wonder if the land they're blocking were to catch fire if they'd let public funded fire crews on to put it out. Or if the public that is blocked from access should even allow public funds go towards putting it out.

And you are TRH level insane. Giving you benefit of the doubt there, and assuming you're not being a malicious twat.

I simply posed the question that if that landlocked portion of public land caught fire, should the public who are barred access pay to put it out. Then you go out in left field with it.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas arrived. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm really not getting into a pissing match with you.

I can plainly see what you posted.

You suggested that private property owners that don't allow trespass across their land be denied fire fighter protection.

I took nothing into left field.

Why don't we just drop this nasty little side issue.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Texas arrived. Lol.

Always

MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm really not getting into a pissing match with you.

I can plainly see what you posted.

You suggested that private property owners that don't allow trespass across their land be denied fire fighter protection.

I took nothing into left field.

Why don't we just drop this nasty little side issue.

I'd be happy to, but you reword things to make it sound different and I take umbrage with that.

MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Texas arrived. Lol.

You betcha.

This Texan has years of experience with ranching BLM, Nat'l Forest, boundaries and legal issues of easements, rights of way, and of course private property.

What do offer, besides the usual welfare hunter dialog?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas arrived. Lol.

Always

- Comes strolling in with a fence under one arm and a corn feeder under the other.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Texas arrived. Lol.

Always

- Comes strolling in with a fence under one arm and a corn feeder under the other.

With a fugg you Idaho people and your laws, we have the money to buy the influence to change rules and regulation so ya'll can be more like Texas forever enough to benefit us in the short term

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That looks like more of a case of who owns that particular road, and maintains it it. As well as legalities involved with whether there was an actual easement or right of way ever established.

Of course everyone could always pool their resources and file for historical usage.

Personally, if I wanted to own private property and have nobody I didn't approve of crossing my land, the last place I would buy land is in a state that has lots of public land that could affect my private property. I'd buy property where there could never be a question when I lock a gate.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Don't be obtuse. I am currently surrounded by NF and am intimately aware of the dangers posed. I didn't say anything about letting the "ranchers" land burn. Simply pointing out it's hunky dory to keep everyone out until in this hypothetical they'd need to cross to put out the fire.

I personally have not seen firefighters ask anyone for permission to trespass while fighting a fire.

Nor have I. My point is the "rancher" isn't likely to stop them. You either need another cup of coffee or are being intentionally dense.

You are the one that brought up fire fighting efforts. I think your intent was plain.

I wonder if the land they're blocking were to catch fire if they'd let public funded fire crews on to put it out. Or if the public that is blocked from access should even allow public funds go towards putting it out.

And you are TRH level insane. Giving you benefit of the doubt there, and assuming you're not being a malicious twat.

I simply posed the question that if that landlocked portion of public land caught fire, should the public who are barred access pay to put it out. Then you go out in left field with it.

First responders work for government entities, so they are allowed to trespass in order to do their jobs. They aren't trespassing for their personal benefit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That looks like more of a case of who owns that particular road, and maintains it it. As well as legalities involved with whether there was an actual easement or right of way ever established.

Of course everyone could always pool their resources and file for historical usage.

Personally, if I wanted to own private property and have nobody I didn't approve of crossing my land, the last place I would buy land is in a state that has lots of public land that could affect my private property. I'd buy property where there could never be a question when I lock a gate.

It isn't one property but many and private/public land here is a hodge podge patchwork with roads through both that have been open and some maintained with public funds for many decades.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Then surely the state will do it's job and protect the interests of the public?

I know you don't just go close a National Forest Road down and not get in trouble with the Federales too...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Be curious to see how that road is listed in the USFS Travel Management Plan.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get a kick out of "public land owner" types.

You dont have any rights to that land. Just go ask some overzealous BLM or Reclamation type.

I get a kick out of the "rancher and ag types" . Usually the ones that talk property rights when blocking access, are the ones with their faces up to their ears in the public tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Be curious to see how that road is listed in the USFS Travel Management Plan.

It's been 20 years but I have traveled that road, after a quick look at a map I believe the FS numbers are 297 and 374

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We (Oregon) also have several timber companies, holding in some instances, hundreds/thousands of square miles often checker boarded among public sections. These are the product of deals with the first railroads as an incentive to put in rails through empty country with no real cost to the government. Over time those properties were sold to timber barons. Up into the early 1970's, the public was pretty much allowed free access for hunting/fishing endeavors on those lands.

With the advent of the radical environmental movements, those companies began finding tequipment burned, absent oil/fuel, or otherwise seriously sabotaged. Quite an issue when 20 people suddenly can't do any work on a Monday morning. The only solution was locked gates. Some properties are effectively locked for perpetuity. Some have negotiated deals whereby the state provides funding for seasonal patrols in exchange for hunting/fishing access, and some rent/lease access directly if one will visit their office, register, and pay a fee for lock combinations.

Last fall, via guide/outfitter services, I did most of my elk season on timber company lands. In that instance the guide had full access and could run free. The public is allowed, but has to walk past locked gates.

Oregon also set up what is called an access and habitat board with a fair sized budget. That group's challenge is to foster access to inholdings and large deeded sectors. As an example, landowners often have to deal with opened gates and subsequently wandering stock. If the state will fund a couple entry/exit cattle guards, they'll agree to free public access. Others may want to do some habitat improvements (burns, seedings, juniper or sage control) and will grant access with assistance there.

Our county (Harney) is constantly being challenged with access cases when new owners lock gates, The county will rifle through past records and maps looking for evidence of historic public use and finding evidents will typically side with the public. In many instances, a volume of public testimony (i.e. grand dad and friends used that road for 72 years and they're essentially country right of ways or historic livestock trails) will also hold up. Some of those roads? have not seen equipment in decades but will show up on maps and in GPS records.

Fortunately, about 70% of this country (10,000+ square miles) is public land, and I've not asked for permission in the last 45 years. It's one of the benefits of living in the Or, Nv, Id, Wy region and one of the reasons I came here.

On fishing, any stream of substance is open to the public as long as one remains within its high water marks or floats. Again, one may not venture across deeded acres without permission, but can come in from up/down stream access points like public roads or adjacent friendly landowners.

Corner jumping is also OK here.

No one can own an ocean beach in Oregon, so again, find an allowed access point or a boat, and one can get there.

Again, it's a bit sad when substantial inholdings are held hostage, but I side with the tax paying property owners. Win the big lottery, and I just might become one of the [bleep].

Lastly, I've seen and know of several instances where adjacent property owners have put up posted signs on public land gates in an effort to restrict access. They're pretty effective against folks from out of the region. Locals though, call the bluff and barge right on in with no issues.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/12/20.

1Minute
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 1minute
We (Oregon) also have several timber companies, holding in some instances, hundreds/thousands of square miles often checker boarded among public sections. These were the product mostly of deals with the early railroads as an incentive to put in the rails with no real cost to the government. Over time those properties were sold to timber barons. Up into the early 1970's, the public was pretty much allowed free access for hunting/fishing endeavors on those lands.

With the advent of some of the radical environmental efforts, those companies began finding their equipment burned, absent oil/fuel, or seriously sabotaged. The answer was locked gates. Some properties are effectively locked up for perpetuity. Some have negotiated deals whereby the state provides funding for seasonal patrols in exchange for hunting/fishing access, and some rent/lease access directly if one will visit their office, register, and pay a fee for lock combinations.

Our county (Harney) is constantly being challenged with access cases when owners lock gates, They will rifle through past records and maps looking for evidence of historic public use and will typically side with the public with evidence or in many instances public testimony (i.e. grand dad and friends have used that road for 72 years and they're essentially country right of ways or historic livestock trails). Some of those have not seen equipment in decades.

Fortunately, about 70% of this country is public land, and I not asked for permission in the last 45 years. One of the benefits of living in the Or, Nv, Id, Wy region.

Last fall, via guide/outfitter services, I did most of my elk season on timber company lands. In that instance, the guide had free access and could run free. The public was also allowed, but had to walk past locked gates.

On fishing, any stream of substance is open to the public as long as one remains within its high water marks or floats. Again, one may not venture across deeded acres without permission, but can come in from up/down stream access points like public roads etc.

Corner jumping is also OK.

No one can own an ocean beach in Oregon, so again, find an allowed access point or a boat, and one can get there.

Again, it's a bit sad when substantial inholdings are held hostage, but I side with the tax paying property owners.

Lastly, I've seen and know of several instances where adjacent property owners have put up posted signs on public land gates in an effort to restrict access. They're pretty effective against folks from out of the region. Locals though, call the bluff and barge right on in with no issues.

There are many examples of private land owners harassing and putting up fencing and barb wire across navigable streams in an effort to keep fishermen from floating through their “private stretches”. Many claim they have to because people are trashing their places and causing problems by leaving garbage, poaching, trespassing beyond high water marks, etc.

OTOH, there are many reports of fishermen who aren’t doing anything wrong and well within their legal rights being harassed by belligerent, entitlement minded landowners simply because the fisherman had the audacity to fish through “their” waters.

There was a case a few years back reported in many fly fishing mags of singer Huey Lewis - who is a fly fisherman - blocking access to a stream that had historically been open to the public. If I recall, he had made improvements to said stream at considerable cost to himself claiming the stream wasn’t a stream at all but merely a man made ditch and so he had the right to block it off because many were coming in and trashing the place. Someone challenged it - maybe a local sportsman’s group - and last I heard it was going to court. I don’t know what all ended up happening. It may be ongoing for all I know.

This is an ongoing problem with no easy answers. I am a firm believer in public access to public lands and waters, but some of the slob hunters/fishermen don't make it easy on the rest of us.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Switch
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I get a kick out of "public land owner" types.

You dont have any rights to that land. Just go ask some overzealous BLM or Reclamation type.

I get a kick out of the "rancher and ag types" . Usually the ones that talk property rights when blocking access, are the ones with their faces up to their ears in the public tough.

Farming and ranching are high risk operations and government programs are there to help them continue to operate in a mostly unfriendly market. Farm and ranch government subsidies benefits most people by helping to keep food prices down and quality high. Farmers and ranchers have the highest degree of risk and usual the lowest ROI of anyone in the chain of events that happens between the producer and the consumer.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 375sunrise, 907brass, 17CalFan, 2500HD, 22 invisible), 1,728 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,514
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.