Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Ive been urinating 5X nightly since I was 5 years old. That was 56 years ago. Still do.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
After not being able to pee for a day and a half, got a catheter in for a week...no fun at all...and after it came out was put on Flomax and finesteride(?).....dealing with a lot of other cancer related isssues right now including not sleeping so getting up to pee is not a problem....I'm up anyway. NO side effects from either as far as I know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me, Flomax has been great. Several years ago I had a TURP for a very enlarged prostate, post-operation it felt like I needed to constantly urinate. Flomax help a lot, no side effects. Before I started with I Flomax I was miserable.

L
L
My doctor put me Tamsulosin. Unfortunately, I am among the one percent who react with intense constipation. Took a month off the stuff to get back to normal.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Ive been urinating 5X nightly since I was 5 years old. That was 56 years ago. Still do.

Exactly. That damned questionnaire asks if you get up to pee. They never ask if you have always had to. At 72 everything doesnt work quite like it did but whatever the urologist put me on was worse. I am overdue to see one now to keep the primary happy. She is trying to send me to the same practice I said i would never go back to.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Depends on how bad you wanna pee...

Worst thing someone can do is Google up every known issue with a prescribed med. Just cause something has been known to occur doesn't mean it's gonna happen to you.

Try it and see how it works. If you have problems, let your doc know. He's a better source of info that Google...

Or, just keep on peeing multiple times at night.

DF

I didn't ask for your advise.

Sheesh. Touchy a bit.

So what's your personal experience with Flomax?

It's a ball saver if you have allergies and sometimes have an unexpected allergic reaction and have to take benadryl to keep breathing and then your thingamajig swells up and blocks your pee pee up to your heart and you're camping out in the high country and start having to contemplate running a foot long cut off arrowshaft up your dong to drain your bladder.

No side effects here other than it let's you pee, which really no small thing to me.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Some of the precautions/side effects (from Mayo Clinic) are:

1) This medicine may rarely cause a severe allergic reaction (swelling of face, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing, and blistering of the skin.
2) You should seek medical attention right away if you experience a prolonged erection while using this medicine.
3) A serious eye problem called Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome (IFIS) has occurred in some patients who were taking this medicine or who had recently taken this medicine when they had cataract or glaucoma surgery.
4) Common side effects: lack or loss of strength, body aches or pain, trouble swallowing, tender swollen glands in the neck and several others.

1. Just about ANY medication can cause "swelling of face, tongue, or throat, difficulty breathing, and blistering of the skin." That includes commonly prescribed drugs like amoxicillin.
2. Yea, you should seek medical attention for a prolonged erection (called priapism) but that isn't a common side effect of tamsulosin.
3. The "floppy iris syndrome" can happen but it's mainly a problem if you need cataract surgery.
4. I took the stuff for several years and never got loss of strength, aches or pain, swallowing difficulties, etc. I just detest taking pills of any kind.

In some men, artificial sweetners such as Splenda can cause extreme bladder irritation and difficulty urinating even when taken in small quantities.

After losing sleep for several years with my problem that wasn't completely relieved by tamsulosin I had the HOLEP procedure and have no regrets. Everything works just fine without medication and I pee like a race horse.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been taking it for several years. I've had what my urologist called "mild BPH" for several years, and it got to the point where I was peeing several times a night. It works for me...............no side affects whatsoever, back to my normal peeing once a night, sometimes not at all. I can miss a dose and it doesn't bother me at all. Pecker still works like it should, maybe even better.............lol. So, if anyone is concerned about that, don't be.

There is another drug that is an alternative to Flomax, can't recall the name, and my urologist said it was better, according to what some patients had told him. I did some research on it, and one of the side affect could possibly call heart problems, and I dismissed it right there.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Worst thing someone can do is Google up every known issue with a prescribed med. Just cause something has been known to occur doesn't mean it's gonna happen to you.

Try it and see how it works. If you have problems, let your doc know. He's a better source of info that Google...

DF

Sheesh. Touchy a bit.

Nah...

I could have been a bit more diplomatic in how I wrote that.

DF

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

DF

Sheesh. Touchy a bit.

Nah...

I could have been a bit more diplomatic in how I wrote that.

DF

Yes, you're just too mean, doc.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My urologist mentioned it to me when I told him I was having to take a leak 2-3 times a night, but he hasn't pressed the issue. I'd rather not take any more pharmaceuticals than I already am. I just make sure I don't look at the clock when I go to the bathroom, otherwise I'll just start thinking about stuff, and not go back to sleep. By the third pee, I figure it's time to wake up anyway. I look at it as my "bio-clock".

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
My urologist mentioned it to me when I told him I was having to take a leak 2-3 times a night, but he hasn't pressed the issue. I'd rather not take any more pharmaceuticals than I already am. I just make sure I don't look at the clock when I go to the bathroom, otherwise I'll just start thinking about stuff, and not go back to sleep. By the third pee, I figure it's time to wake up anyway. I look at it as my "bio-clock".

My urologist didn't press the issue either. He just said could try Flomax if I wanted to. The week before my first appointment with him about a week ago I was peeing up to 4 times a night sometimes and I mentioned it to him. I figured for only $4.94 for 30 capsules it was worth a try but I haven't taken any yet because I'd rather not take any prescription drugs if I don't really have to.

I've been working on changing my habits to cut down on the night time peeing. I found out if I don't eat or drink anything after 7:00 pm I only have to pee twice that night like I have for most of my life. I figure your kidneys keep working while you sleeping, just slower. These days I only drink alcohol on special occasions but if I drink 2 beers I'll piss out 4. What's funny is that I have a lot of dreams about needing to pee and not being able to find a place to pee. It wakes me and I go pee then fall back to sleep. I have my clock turned around so I never know what time it is.

Thanks for your comment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of you old, fat guys might simply have sleep apnea. It can be a cause. Mild BPH doesnt necessarily dictate the need for a medication intervention.

https://www.sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea/nighttime-urination-and-sleep-apnea/

How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been taking it for a while. Some days it works great, some days not at all and most days/nights just mediocre.

I have found reducing coffee and chocolate intake helps, sometimes.

Without using it, a day is 24 hours of peeing a half a coffee cup quite regularly.
with an occasional leak thrown in.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

My urologist didn't press the issue either. He just said could try Flomax if I wanted to. The week before my first appointment with him about a week ago I was peeing up to 4 times a night sometimes and I mentioned it to him. I figured for only $4.94 for 30 capsules it was worth a try but I haven't taken any yet because I'd rather not take any prescription drugs if I don't really have to.

I've been working on changing my habits to cut down on the night time peeing. I found out if I don't eat or drink anything after 7:00 pm I only have to pee twice that night like I have for most of my life. I figure your kidneys keep working while you sleeping, just slower. These days I only drink alcohol on special occasions but if I drink 2 beers I'll piss out 4. What's funny is that I have a lot of dreams about needing to pee and not being able to find a place to pee. It wakes me and I go pee then fall back to sleep. I have my clock turned around so I never know what time it is.

Thanks for your comment.

I used to drink hot Tang or apple cider on cold nights, and it had the same effect beer has on you. As the saying goes, you don't buy coffee, beer, tang, etc., you rent it!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i need to see a urologist my psa shot up 3 points in 6 weeks after getting the testosterone pellets.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've been taking Flomax and finestride for at least 10 years. It was after my 3rd biopsy. I haven't been to a urologist in almost as long. I've got a friend right now whose prostate cancer moved into his bladder, and another whose cancer has gone into his pelvis. Read these threads and you wonder if the doctors are passing on taking care of people who are trying to avoid prostate cancer, so they can make more money treating for cancer. It all has me concerned.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
V
victoro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i need to see a urologist my psa shot up 3 points in 6 weeks after getting the testosterone pellets.

I think that's a good idea. I went to a urologist because my new Doc refused to order a PSA test when I got a physical exam in January. He told me quote: "After age 70 you don't need to worry about prostate cancer because you'll only get the slow growing kind." My Grandfather (who lived in Corpus) died of fast growing prostate cancer when he was 89. It had already spread before he had any symptoms. He was very healthy and active (still driving) before he got prostate cancer. I found a good young urologist in Austin that worked at MD Anderson for several years so I'll be in good hands when I get prostate cancer. I'm pretty sure I'll get it if I long enough since my Dad and Grandfather both had it. Dad died of a stroke (brain bleed) when he was 70.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Some of you old, fat guys might simply have sleep apnea. It can be a cause. Mild BPH doesnt necessarily dictate the need for a medication intervention.

https://www.sleepapnea.org/learn/sleep-apnea/nighttime-urination-and-sleep-apnea/

How does apnea cause nocturia? Umlauf explains that during episodes of sleep apnea, the soft structures in the throat relax and close off the airway, setting into motion a chain of physiological events. “Oxygen decreases, carbon dioxide increases, the blood become more acidic, the heart rate drops and blood vessels in the lung constrict,” says Umlauf. “The body is alerted that something is very wrong. The sleeper must wake enough to reopen the airway. By this time, the heart is racing and experiences a false signal of fluid overload. The heart excretes a hormone-like protein that tells the body to get rid of sodium and water, resulting in nocturia.”

My reason for taking it is to not have to pee all the damn time. I was constantly having to pee, day and night. Don't have to now.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
guys, I am a pharmacist and also have BPH for almost 20 years. (i am 57)...
not a complete list of drugs or side effects.

1. The 2 Main types of Medicines.
A. Alpha Blockers
Uraxotrol- alfuzosin- very potent. likely most effective.
Flomax- tamsulsin- most popular. works well.
* Both work to relax the muscles in the bladder neck/prostate.
* Both work quickly.
* Both can cause some impotence, usually not the ability to have an erection, but the ability to orgasm, or delay orgasm.
* Both can cause ejaculatory issues ranging from retrograde to anejaculation.
Retrograde ejaculation is when the semen goes backward into the bladder, which is unusual, but usually doesn't effect the feeling of the orgasm.
Anejaculation is when no semen leaves the prostate at all to enter the urethra. This very much impacts pleasure. It can either take all the pleasure away, have a painful orgasm, or no orgasm at all.
Actually, anejaculation might be more common than retrograde.
* The side effects are many, though, most find them manageable.
Including- low blood pressure, dizziness, tiredness, fainting, along with the sexual side effects.

B. Testosterone Inhibitors
Proscar- finasteride. This works in the body to inhibit the production of testosterone to shrink the prostate which is testosterone dependant.
It takes longer to start working because it takes time to shrink the prostate enough to make a difference. as the prostate shrinks, your psa may actually go down.
Side effects....
* Decrease in sex drive. less testosterone less desire. high incidence of this.
* Less semen produced.
* impotence due to decreased drive.
* you might grow boobs. those boobs might have a discharge.
* hair growth...... with a full head of hair you might be more attractive, but with no sex drive it might not matter anymore.

2. Other Treatments- (procedure)
TURP- avoid it at all costs unless there is no other choice. Do not just take your doctor's word for it. get a 2nd opinion.
* Very high incidence of impotence.
* loss of bladder control is a possibility.
* Retrograde ejaculation is very likely
* Results usually don't lost all that long, making repeat procedures likely.

PVP Laser- less side effects than TURP.
* Impotence less likely than TURP, actually very unlikely.
* Retrograde ejaculation is almost a sure thing though.
* It pretty much destroys the prostate leaving only the shell. \

Prostate Artery Embolism
* non-invasive
* no sexual side effects at all.
* effectively reduces the volume of the prostate
* Doesn't always fix the problem if there is a large median lobe growth.

Urolift
* Not a true surgery. It is a device inserted that pulls the interior walls of the prostate outward allowing the urethra to open up.
* No sexual side effects at all.
* Might actually increase ejaculatory function.
* Results almost immediately.

Other procedures.
TUNA- not used much anymore due to ineffectiveness and some problems. Uses a needle that heats up very hot to kill prostate tissue.
TUMT-uses microwave heat to kill prostate tissue. I know little about this, except I believe it's not as effective.
TUIP- makes little slices in the interior prostate that causes it to spring outward rather than squeezing inward. I don't know anyone having had this. Not always effective, but without likelihood of bad side effects. Not helpful for very large prostates,
Rezum- uses steam to heat up and kill tissue.

Any of these that use heat kinda scares me. I've heard of inexperienced docs really destroying some men's this way.

I hope this helps, guys. Whatever you do, do not just take your doctor's word for it. always study the procedure on the internet to find out what's truly going on. Many doctors are not very forthcoming about permanent side effects with the treatments they are proposing. the internet is your friend here. And, 2nd opinions also.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 907brass, 338Rules, 19 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,049
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.