Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Although I have been reloading for over 10 years, I'll admit I don't know a lot about how gun powder is made.
Without a Democrat running the white house it seems there currently isn't a mad rush to load up on ammo and guns.
Understanding us reloaders do practice hoarding at times, why are so many gun powders hard to find?
What's going on with the powder manufacturers that they can't keep supplies up?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not seeing a shortage here-abouts (western NYS, northern tier of PA). Lots of powder, most brands, and most flavors sitting on the shelves of the 2 shops I frequent. One of them even tracked down a few pounds of RL26 for me last year.
Powder Valley is a great outfit to deal with should you want to mail order some supplies.
I think we reloaders are competing with the factories and Uncle Sam for some supplies. Plus many powders seem to have a long pipeline being produced overseas.
I can say, with confidence, that even if a certain powder is not on the shelf, there are 2 or 3 or 4 comparable powders sitting there ready to go.
While RL26 might be the new wonder powder, 4831 has provided wonderful performance in my 270's for a long time. Be flexible.
Also think that there are so many "new" powders, that a small shop could never afford to inventory every one of them.
Good shooting!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can't find RL26 anywhere.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'm just guessing here, since I have not been to a local shop, well there aren't any to speak of really, but not to anything but Cabelas, bass pro etc... and its inventory time. Shot show time. NOT generally reloading time, and I'm betting they are inventory, making new orders for the year etc... and in a few months, when its too late to help me in TX, they will be full.

I do know when I flew out of Alaska the shelves on a local store were awful full of about anything they stocked...thats saying a lot to me in a way, OTOH I think they buy a year in advance in AK.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The powder manufacturing capacity in the world gets allocated first to finished ammunition for government customers, second to loaded commercial ammunition, and we handloaders get what's left over. A little change in the top customers makes a big change in what's available to us.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
handwerk

Since I live in Ark it's not going to help you. I have a Pawn Shop/ Gun Shop/ Gunsmith in one business here.
Last time I was in they were well stocked in all the popular powders 'including' Rl 26 and others.
They had rifle/handgun/shotgun powders of nearly all designations.

Now back in 2018 I had to order Rl 26 & H 4350 from Natchez Shooter Supplies but that was then.

Good Luck finding what you want.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
The powder manufacturing capacity in the world gets allocated first to finished ammunition for government customers, second to loaded commercial ammunition, and we handloaders get what's left over. A little change in the top customers makes a big change in what's available to us.

Agree, seems Hodgdons put out a press release through Powder Valley and other places stating that exact thing, plus the fact that Australia has put limits on the number of ships and amounts each can carry. Secondly look to where most of the RL series is made. Europe. Seeings how the EU banned all Hodgdon/ADI powders from import back in 2015 plus a bunch of IMR powders to boot for non-compliance to EU regulations, I would imagine that the bulk of EU production is meant for the EU with shipments to the US as leftovers.

Swifty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ll have to go my store, check it out!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
H4350, reloder 26, and other powders are non-existent in many areas. Looks like it could be tough for awhile.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This is one reason you buy a bunch of 8 pound jugs of powders that are all around. Like small, medium, large, magnum, and handgun rifle shotgun RE what you load.

Then you weather these bumps. You might not have what you prefer but powder is better than none.

We bought so much H380bulk once, surplus, that we have found all kinds of uses for it at times.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I just got an email today about Hodgdon saying that their will be a shortage of H4350, Varget, and a couple more powders of theirs through most of 2020. I guess they supply Winchester some powder for the new contract Winchester got from the military.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never let your powder supply get too low, especially in your favorites.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
We by my shop, they had H 4350, but no H 4895 or Varget. I’m glad I have a good supply.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crap, I’m still using up CCI250’s from the Clinton scare. BILL CLINTON

CK
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by rost495
This is one reason you buy a bunch of 8 pound jugs of powders that are all around. Like small, medium, large, magnum, and handgun rifle shotgun RE what you load.

Then you weather these bumps. You might not have what you prefer but powder is better than none.

We bought so much H380bulk once, surplus, that we have found all kinds of uses for it at times.

I did that too. I bought bulk pulled H380 , 414 and 870. It was 24 lbs. I got the 870 for $2.50 a pound and only used it for 20 cases. I suppose it's still good. The 414 and 380 are about half used up but still have a total of about 25 lbs of gun powder and 3 pounds of Holy Black. I saw 8 lb IMR for $200 . It was only 4064 / 4350 and a few other but those would load almost anything if that is all there was.

Last edited by ihookem; 02/12/20.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I was in the bullet aisle today and overheard the gun counter guy tell a customer they were 'flat out' of H4350 and Retumbo and didn't know when they'd get more in....

I thought better of telling the guy it was probably me that bought up the last couple of kegs of H4350....

Last edited by Puddle; 02/12/20.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seriously I had a brick of primers I bought when I was a college student interning for the Forest Service that one rifle just loves. I am down to the last two sleeves.

Was just at one of our major Missouri distributors this weekend and found ever powder I was looking for in 8 lbs to include H4350, IMR 7977, Norma 204, Leveroution. 3 of the 4 were on their clearance rack. Also found 4lbs of R26 at another shop but paid for them.

CK
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Posted earlier on powder valley’s FB page

We have been begging for quite some time for Hodgdon Powder to provide us with some type of “official” announcement on why there have been so many supply issues. Well, here is their official announcement. FYI!!

POWDER UPDATE FAQ, JANUARY 31, 2020

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders like H4350, Varget, Retumbo and H1000?

As you have seen, Hodgdon powders, especially rifle powders for long-range and precision shooting, can be difficult to find. Dealer shelves that were formerly filled with cans of powder now have empty spots. Here are answers to your questions straight from Hodgdon.

Q: Is Hodgdon still making powder?
A: Yes, we continue shipping powder as quickly as possible. In fact, we will ship more powder in 2020 than last year. The real problem behind empty dealer shelves is complicated, but is related to shifting supply and demand challenges. As supply decreased in 2019, demand only increased. No one wants to ship more powder than Hodgdon.

Q: What is causing the supply challenges?
A: Quite simply, our manufacturing facilities have not kept up with our orders. Additionally, military contracts began specifying Hodgdon powders in the last few years for military ammunition, impacting our supply. With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply. Lastly, rapidly changing consumer preferences for different powder types has impacted both demand and supply. We worked with all Hodgdon providers to resolve open issues and expect powder supply to improve in 2020 as a result.

Q: Is Hodgdon still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon has been in business (and family owned) for over 70 years. We are here for the long haul and are doing everything we can to supply our powders to handloaders. Dealer shelves are empty because powder is purchased as soon as it arrives at the dealer’s stores but we will continue to ship more in 2020.

Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition manufacturing companies?
A: While Hodgdon does sell powder to ammunition manufacturing companies, more than 80% of our powder is sold to our core market - handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.

Q: When will I start to see more powder on dealer shelves?
A: While Hodgdon will continue to ship powder as rapidly as possible, we have a significant backlog in demand. Some powders will be in stock more quickly, but we believe it will take much of 2020 to improve availability for all powders.

Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on powder shortages with Hodgdon Powder.
A: If you do not hear it directly from Hodgdon Powder Company, please be skeptical.

Swifty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good thing that there are so many powders available (when they are available) I still have 1960s paper cans of H4350 but now I use R16 or 4451 for my 4350 substitutes. I get better velocities with the subs than the original. R26 really shines in some applications but I am thinking Magnum will do about as well with maybe a slightly lower velocity, but will be more readily available. I wish that someone would start importing the Swiss powder line. It looks similar to the Norma line with updated technology incorporated.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Don’t ever run low on powder or primers.

NRA Patron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,398
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.