Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Port;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that the day in your part of the world is as mild and bright as it appears it will be up here just across the medicine line.

With the understanding that I'm not a black bear expert by any stretch, just a BC backwoods redneck who lives with them around us for 2/3 of the year, I'd offer the following.

It's hard to tell from a photo, but as Judman said, the head is proportionally small, as are the shoulders and front legs to the same degree.

We find that with many species of animals it's not too tough to tell the males from females after early adulthood in the way they walk and carry themselves. Often my hunting partner - our eldest daughter - will see a buck when we're up on the mountains behind the house and without seeing the head will pronounce it as such by the way it moves.

While most female black bears up here of breeding age are accompanied by cubs, not all are of course, but we've noted differences between male and female in the way the local black bears move and carry themselves.

Anyway sir, all that to say I'd absolutely guess - and it is just most certainly that - you've got a decent sized female there who for whatever reason has no cub with her.

Thanks for sharing the photo and all the best to you folks as the days get longer and weather nicer.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
As long as they don't have cubs, they taste the same.

Not even remotely true! Big big difference in taste from Northeaster Bears, western bears, and Alaskan bears. You clearly have never ate a bear dinning on salmon. Their diet will dictate the taste. I have killed bears in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Montana, California, and Southeast Alaska. Very different taste.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
As long as they don't have cubs, they taste the same.

Not even remotely true! Big big difference in taste from Northeaster Bears, western bears, and Alaskan bears. You clearly have never ate a bear dinning on salmon. Their diet will dictate the taste. I have killed bears in Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Montana, California, and Southeast Alaska. Very different taste.

This. The only time I bear hunt is in the spring. Once salmon get in the rivers (to me) the meat is uneatable. Once they have eaten any fish you can taste it. Also, I have never noticed a difference in taste between a sow thats had cubs and a sow without.

Last edited by OAM; 02/15/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Since we are guessing on what the bear is packing any guesses on weight? I am going with 450 but that is a wild ass guess. Could be well over 5.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 21, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,663
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.