Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When people ask "How are you?" I usually answer "I'm looking down at the grass- - - -it's a wonderful day!" Most people do a double take before they catch my drift. Several car crashes, a blown tire on a motorcycle at 65 MPH, and a few hairy plane rides, plus two heart attacks have had two lasting influences on me. I enjoy every day, even the "bad" ones, and I don't give a damn about other people's opinions of what I do or say! It's my life and I'm going to live every day of the time I've got left on my terms, to the best of my ability. I'll be 74 in a few months if I make it that far!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great advice, gents. Yesterday my 15-year-old daughter asked if we could go fishing on Sunday; I replied that we couldn't because we had to go get a load of hay. Then I thought about it. I rescheduled with my hay guy and I'll be getting the boat ready this afternoon. smile

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm at 23,233. Time to start living.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
flagstaff - your post is a good reminder about our days and, although earlier times were consumed with myriad aspirations and responsibilities without much focus on your point, more recently I've been trying to make every day good for me and those close to me, and productive as much as possible. It's all worth the concentration and effort. The story you shared has a high sadness component, but thanks for the candor. Your daughters should be in their early 20s now, and I trust that they are well, happy and a joy to you. BTW - I'm almost at 30,000.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have somethings in common, Jerry: almost the same age, and I've had a few hairy plane rides, too!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
24,454 as of today....schit.

Hmmmmm......what to do next.

Sorry for your loss flagstaff.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep, but I had the advantage of a lot more altitude, and eight engines! Check six!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sound advice,thanks for the post.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sound advice,thanks for the post.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
26.3k and counting.

flagstaff

Sometimes tragedy strikes in bucket loads. Back around 10k my father died, my mother died, and got divorced in about an 11 month period. Remember reading some time later a list of ten things that happen in life that increase your chances of cancer, well, in that year I could have checked off 9/10. Remember it as the blackest year of my life. But I'm still here putting one foot in front of the other, taking life one day at a time.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
16k. Good reminder and sorry you lost your dad like that.

For sure. Dayom.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good advice.Thanks for sharing flagstaff...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My year of living as Job was 2009-2010... life is fleeting whether you die at day 1 or day 36,500, possessions are expendable, relationships are eternal, pain is bearable, death is inevitable and a blessing, fear is unproductive, you are not near as important as you think you are, if you are important to a few people and they to you your life was worth something.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Birth date: 1960-07-28 (Jul 28)
Today's date: 2020-02-15 (Feb 15)
You are 21751 days old.
Which is 3107 weeks and 2 days.

That's 59 years and 202 days, including 14 leap days,
or 59 years, 28 weeks and 6 days.

In other words, that's 714.58 months.
Therefore, you are 59.553 years old.

You were born on a Thursday, your last birthday was a Sunday
and your next one will be on a Tuesday.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
78.6 x 365 = 28,689.

Gotta fish a lot more than me to get 400 days in a year. I best start fishing more. Yep, at least 35 days more.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/15/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flagstaff
About 16 years ago, my Dad stopped by the house on his way through headed to Idaho. I was going through a really bad stretch in life. In fact, a half hour before he arrived at the house, my wife at the time had just filed for divorce. I didn’t bring up that she filed with him - I wanted him to enjoy his evening with my daughters who thought the world of him. They were 5 and 6 at the time.

He told me to make every day count. Don’t piss them away. Drink good coffee. Drink good beer - but don’t drink too much. Enjoy my kids and life. Enjoy each sunrise. Because you only live about 30,000 days. I asked him where he got that number. He said easy. Math. 80 years times say 400 days per year. So figure 30,000. That’s 30,000 dinners. So don’t piss away life.

The next morning, he left my house and was killed about 5 hours later in a car crash.

I keep that lesson in mind each day. Sometimes I am forgetful.

I am inside my last 10,000 days.

The reason I post this is to just say don’t piss them away guys. Enjoy each one. Call an old friend. Fix those things in your life that are broke. Enjoy each sunset.

Just a reminder is all guys.

Have a great day.

Great story and good advice from your father.

Only one thing is that I'm not sure about the States but here in Canada the years are 365 days long excluding leap years which are 366.

Just sayin' smile

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by saddlering
Thanks nice story, sorry about your Dad. hope life got better for you!

Thanks for the condolences.

It took quite a few years to get better. I didn’t see the divorce coming. The worst of it was the significant pain it caused me to see my daughters hurting when there was nothing I could do about it.

I pretty much raised my daughters as a single Dad much of the time. I didn’t date until at least 5-7 years after the divorce was finalized. I focused everything on my daughters and me.

I wasn’t gonna let all that trauma define me. I became a heck of a Dad to my daughters. I became a damn good cook and cooked dinner every night, got into top physical shape, and immersed myself in wildlife photography and hunting. I got closer to God also.

As said, it taught me there is nothing that is gonna break me.

My daughters are now both in college. The oldest want wants be a nurse. She graduates in May. She has a rare physical disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. Has has the same spirit as I do regarding nothing gonna keep her down. My youngest is a Junior at Arizona State. She is a phenomenal kid. She too has that spirit. I am very proud of both of them.

But I really try to live life as if each day is a gift. I tell those I love each day I love them. I hug people in my life all the time. Often telling them I love them even if it’s not the manly thing to do.

I see my role in life now is to make others path in life easier. I buy random people lunch. I always help a friend in need - whether it be help them move to help fix their car.

The point to all this is to say enjoy life and don’t waste the 30,000 days we are given. That’s the reason for my post.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Great advice, gents. Yesterday my 15-year-old daughter asked if we could go fishing on Sunday; I replied that we couldn't because we had to go get a load of hay. Then I thought about it. I rescheduled with my hay guy and I'll be getting the boat ready this afternoon. smile

Good idea.

20 years from now, she might even remember this fishing trip. If you do the hay thing, it’s a day lost to spend time with her fishing.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (673, 10gaugemag, 79S, 450hunter, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,478
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.