Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have been using AA#9 under 180 xtp and 200 grain cast bullets. Its a case filling powder for a gen 4 Glock 20. The gun shoots as well as I can shoot. I could hit a clay pigeon with it at 50 yards, I can hit a 4 inch circle at 15 that’s about it for me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought this G40 in 2017 to use for hog hunting at night. It has proven itself up to the task. Still using the same two factory loads, Hornady Custom XTP, and Federal Bonded JSP. Both are 180 grain. I can't see any reason to change.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm shooting 180's over 9.2 gr. Longshot, which seems to be a good 10 mm powder. They're probably running around 1,250 fps, maybe a bit more out of the 7" KKM. I need to clock'em.

The far right is the 180 XTP, so far the most accurate. I did pick up some 180 FMJ from Rocky Mtn Reloaders for a good price. They shoot pretty good, not as tight as the XTP. From my cowboy action days, I have some 38-40 180 gr. RNFP soft lead bullets (far left) that I haven't tried yet, but should do OK in the KKM barrel. Sounds like a good way to shoot up surplus .38-40 CAS bullets. Loaded round is a truncated cone lead, but I don't remember which one, probably 180 gr.

DF

I’m curious how the 38-40 bullets work out n the 10mm. I’ve kicked around trying them but the 180xtp shoots so good I’ve not got away from them.

I’m using 9.2grs of LongShot with the 180xtp. It clocks 1348fps from my 6” storm lake barrel.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! 8.5gr of Longshot under a 200gr XTP is a hell of a hunting load too Men, it runs a bit over 1200 fps in my DW 5" 1911 10mm.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! 8.5gr of Longshot under a 200gr XTP is a hell of a hunting load too Men, it runs a bit over 1200 fps in my DW 5" 1911 10mm.

That's pretty much the same load I've been running. I think I was at 8.4g from a long loaded 40 case in a kkm 40 barrel. It was around 1170fps circ.

Bb

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I hope to thump a hog with my Glock as well. Load is the 180 gr XTP over 14.5 grs of AAC 9.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That’s the same load I use in my Ruger 1911. AA9 and the Hornady 180 XTP. Shoots exceptionally well.

Old70

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the Glock 20 Gen 4. I have dies and components but a little wary of starting the reloading. Getting the smiley face on my once fired brass and have read that Glock barrels do not support the case head. New to reloading auto loaders, should I re barrel with aftermarket?

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bartman
I have the Glock 20 Gen 4. I have dies and components but a little wary of starting the reloading. Getting the smiley face on my once fired brass and have read that Glock barrels do not support the case head. New to reloading auto loaders, should I re barrel with aftermarket?

Smiley faces with what ammo? Yours, someone else's reloads, or factory ammo? Some of the Underwood and similar hot commercial loads can be a little too hot in certain barrels.

The comment you were told about "Glock barrels do not support the case head" is way over-simplified, and also out of date. Pretty much all semi auto pistol barrels lack some case head support at the feed ramp; that's just how it is. Glock was criticized early on for having very generous feed ramps that were less supported than most other brands. However, in the newer guns they've addressed that issue with different feed ramp geometry, and their 10mm barrels now have similar case support to a lot of aftermarket barrels.

It's always possible you got a bad one, but I'd look at the loads first. Personally I would not replace the factory barrel, unless you determine a specific reason to do so, like needing a threaded barrel. The newer Glock barrels are better quality than most of the aftermarket options, in my experience.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by bartman

Way back when case head support in Glocks was a news item I examined a number of then current production Glock pistols in .40 cal and I could find no significant difference between Glocks and other manufacturers. It is essentially a headspace tolerances issue, and individual pistols even from the same production line will have variation in that regard.

However, the problem was traced primarily to the design of the cartridge case, so it was redesigned, and newer prroduction cases were beefed up to better support the case head area... Federal brass was the primary offender.

I still occasionally see smiley brass laying on the ground at the range, but rarely. Your pistol could be on the long side, but without examining YOUR pistol it can't be determined.

The short answer is to just try a different brand of factory ammo.

If you want to reload, there is no problem, just start with the starting loads in your manual and work up from there and you will be ok.

10mm is a higher pressure round, so if I come across a piece of smiley brass I toss it out, as it has already been stretched in that critical area.

I generally resign once fired brass to less than max loads, and only load max loads in new Starline brass.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
I'm shooting 180's over 9.2 gr. Longshot, which seems to be a good 10 mm powder. They're probably running around 1,250 fps, maybe a bit more out of the 7" KKM. I need to clock'em.

The far right is the 180 XTP, so far the most accurate. I did pick up some 180 FMJ from Rocky Mtn Reloaders for a good price. They shoot pretty good, not as tight as the XTP. From my cowboy action days, I have some 38-40 180 gr. RNFP soft lead bullets (far left) that I haven't tried yet, but should do OK in the KKM barrel. Sounds like a good way to shoot up surplus .38-40 CAS bullets. Loaded round is a truncated cone lead, but I don't remember which one, probably 180 gr.

DF

I’m curious how the 38-40 bullets work out n the 10mm. I’ve kicked around trying them but the 180xtp shoots so good I’ve not got away from them.

I’m using 9.2grs of LongShot with the 180xtp. It clocks 1348fps from my 6” storm lake barrel.

They'll work fine. Back in the very early days of 10mm the only cast bullets we could find came from .38-40 molds. I still have some 175 Keith-like SWC's saved from the 80's.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by gunner500

That's pretty much the same load I've been running. I think I was at 8.4g from a long loaded 40 case in a kkm 40 barrel. It was around 1170fps circ.

Bb

It's a damn good load Burley, I see a lot run the 180 gr XTP's in their 10mm's, don't know how they compare with the 200's, but can say I hit a 275lb buck deer in the last rib at 41 yards, the 200gr xtp at 1200 fps exited clipping the offside shoulder, he walked 20 yards, stood there and died right in front of me, I hope the 180's would at least do that much.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well I didn't get to kill a hog with my 10mm nighthawk but did kill a Gemsbok at 50 yds and finish 3rd in the bowling pin shoot with it
I was loaded with Underwood 200gr hardcast and it let out a bellow and dropped in it's tracks

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Well I didn't get to kill a hog with my 10mm nighthawk but did kill a Gemsbok at 50 yds and finish 3rd in the bowling pin shoot with it
I was loaded with Underwood 200gr hardcast and it let out a bellow and dropped in it's tracks

Nice.

F
fester Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by EdM
I hope to thump a hog with my Glock as well. Load is the 180 gr XTP over 14.5 grs of AAC 9.

How do you like your razor?
I’m looking at the viper, venom and razor.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

Nice work! Sweet pistol too, looks like you've got it set up right.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by EdM

Tell me about the frame treatment. Looks nice.

If you got Trijicon suppressor sights, they'll co-witness the red dot. I find it much faster than trying to find the dot without the co-witness irons.

DF

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by EdM

If you got Trijicon suppressor sights, they'll co-witness the red dot. I find it much faster than trying to find the dot without the co-witness irons.

DF

I don't think standard suppressor sights will get there with that setup. MOS setups even with the low profile RMR sight need special MOS-height suppressor sights, and that Razor is a bit taller yet.

Talk to Dawson Precision though, they were offering suppressor sights in various heights to accomodate different setups. You may need to measure yours first.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Nice shooting! A young guy at the range on Friday had one he had just bought, he was very happy with it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by EdM

DF

I don't think standard suppressor sights will get there with that setup. MOS setups even with the low profile RMR sight need special MOS-height suppressor sights, and that Razor is a bit taller yet.

Talk to Dawson Precision though, they were offering suppressor sights in various heights to accomodate different setups. You may need to measure yours first.

Good info. My Trijicon suppressor sights co-witness the RMR. If other reflex sights require higher irons, then go with the recommended set.

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,940
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.