Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stickfight
As I understand it, NASCAR decided to race only in dry conditions out of fairness to all manufacturers.

These are “stock” cars which means they match fairly closely with what you or I can find on dealer lots. Outside of the paint jobs and such.

So the problem with racing in the rain is that stock Fords and Chevys don’t really work well in the rain what with all the leaks and the engines won’t stay running and all that. Only the Toyotas could complete even the first lap let alone the whole race so NASCAR just decided to call it.

Now there is about as big a load of BS as I've seen lately, even for the Campfire!! LOL

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cars weigh more than cars run in Europe and other places.

Indy and F1 cars have a crap load of down force.

Besides stock cars typically are not totally sealed up and leak water like a sieve.

And the wipers make the cars look gay. grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
These are “stock” cars which means they match fairly closely with what you or I can find on dealer lots. Outside of the paint jobs and such.

Can you come and talk to my garden in a few weeks? I'll save a fortune on fertilizer!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
16bores BS blew stickfights BS out of the water.

We are in the company of BS masters it seems. grin

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mudstud
As I understand it, NASCAR decided to race only in dry conditions out of fairness to all manufacturers.

So the problem with racing in the rain is that stock Fords and Chevys don’t really work well in the rain what with all the leaks and the engines won’t stay running and all that. Only the Toyotas could complete even the first lap let alone the whole race so NASCAR just decided to call it.

Now there is about as big a load of BS as I've seen lately, even for the Campfire!! LOL

I am pretty sure he was being facetious.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up at the time NASCAR was nearly unknown unless you were a “car guy”. Before the ‘79 Daytona 500 and later, cable tv with ESPN coverage, you read short, maybe a paragraph reports in the paper, and maybe if you were lucky, highlights on network tv. If you wanted stock car racing, you had to make the effort to follow it. The fight at the end of the 79 Daytona race made racing popular enough to get national attention for the sport!
Later on, ESPN put NASCAR on the map in the 80s and 90s. Their coverage was pretty good, and they did a lot of behind the scene stuff that made it very interesting for car enthusiast or bored tv viewers!
I also remember several incidents where somebody blew up or got wrecked, and had a microphone shoved in the window before they had a chance to turn on their public image! laugh Words got bleeped, and guys got fined for acting human on camera!
NASCAR was starting to change. Mopar and AMC had already quit, because rules were made to favor other brands and make a better show. Olds and Pontiacs became unknown, because if you didn’t have big bucks and factory support, it was much harder to be competitive.
Then the France family started to auction off tv rights and canceling races at smaller more interesting tracks to get into bigger money market areas. ESPN’s great coverage was sacrificed to network money and advertising. Long supporting fans who lived near tracks like Wilkesboro and even Darlington lost opportunities to see races so people from Chicago or California would buy t-shirts and toys. The France family turned their backs on fans, carmakers, and racetrack promoters who helped them grow so they could make more money from people who never heard of NASCAR a few years ago.
They pretty much killed my interest. I watched occasionally, but didn’t want to spend hundreds of bucks to attend pro races when $12 or $15 got you a night of local action with guys i knew.
I wasn’t a Earnhardt fan, but you still had to admit his talent made things happen. When he died, the connection to the old days died as well.
If you’re an old guy like me, and remember honest to God cars turned into racecars, and honest to God competitors who loved racing at its base level, the flavor was gone. We who raced locally called it “studio racing” or WWF Wrestling on Wheels. Most of us spent our Sunday afternoons working on racecars, not watching it.
Putting up lights and racing on Saturday night took longtime fans out of local seats for national television coverage, and us local drivers, most of us ignored it altogether.
I would never sacrifice a true friendship in order to bow to people who paid better. I got the same respect for NASCAR now that I’ve got for politicians.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Because this is America not Europe.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Somebody should start a thread asking why we don't hoist a surrender flag as readily as they do in France.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You think that NASCAR is a race-- it is a show!
The show must go on!
Folks do not want to sit in the rain--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were in a restaurant last year and they had some kind of races on tv. They looked like modified factory cars, mostly jap or European, and they ran on road courses that actually had part of the track made up of dirt or clay.
I think it’s called “Super. Cars” but I don’t know for sure.
Even around here, Hobby racing on dirt or asphalt is going to pot. It just costs too much money if you wanna be competitive. The only modified cars you see are street stock and bomber classes, usually cars from the 70s or 80s. All the upper class cars are purpose built racecars from the ground up.
My brother and I were lucky in that Dad had an auto salvage. We took a couple old V8 Chrysler’s out and welded in frame connectors and roll cages. The motors were completely stock. We put in new rings and bearings, and put the valve covers on the wrong side, otherwise the oil on the right side blew out the breather! grin In 25 laps of left turns, you can throw out well over a quart of oil! Ask me how I know! grin
It cost a lot of money for Wheels and tires, but everything else we did come out of the junkyard. Even with that support it was hard to be competitive. It’s fun but it’s expensive.
Now, with Dad gone and the salvage closed, it’s just too damn expensive. I’d love to do it, but I don’t have the money or the resources and shop to work out of, and Wifey’s got no interest in it. I devote my time and money to shooting and hunting.
Most new cars have all the personality of a washing machine or a refrigerator now, so it’s a thing of the past for us. Most of the guys we raced against either give it up or got sponsors with bigger pockets. Car dealerships or well financed auto repair shops.
I learned two things in my years on a dirt track:
1 You can only go as fast as your wallet can afford to!
2 The best way to make a little money racing is to start with a helluva lot!
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 02/18/20.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by logger
Visibility, or lack thereof, would be one of the main reasons. It's is hard enough in road racing when you come up to pass another car, but usually in road racing you are not running at sustained high speeds with a pack of 20 plus cars. The drivers couldn't see anything and on TV it would probably look like a horizontal hurricane. Also, cars in NASCAR don't generate the downforce generated by prototypes and Formula 1. While Indy cars will run rain tires on road course tracks, they don't at the ovals.

At the Le Mans 24 hour race, cars pass each other (in blinding rain) at 160 mph. The race has four classes of cars racing (some can do over 200 mph, while some "production" cars can do 150 mph), so passing speeds vary even with the very limited visibility. Accidents do occur, but they still race - isn't that what's racing all about?

D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by djs
It rained on Sunday and NASCAR postponed the Daytona 500. Why?

In Europe (say Le Mans 24 hours or the Nuremberg races), they change tires (to a more aggressive tread) and the drivers reduce speeds to about 160-175 mph and keep on racing. Why does NASCAR cancel its races? Anyone know?

This may come as a surprise to you, but this isn't goddam Europe, and I am thankful it is not. There's really not a whole lot more to be said.

Huhh? Are you saying that the Europeans are more gutsy than NASCAR drivers?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by djs
It rained on Sunday and NASCAR postponed the Daytona 500. Why?

In Europe (say Le Mans 24 hours or the Nuremberg races), they change tires (to a more aggressive tread) and the drivers reduce speeds to about 160-175 mph and keep on racing. Why does NASCAR cancel its races? Anyone know?

This may come as a surprise to you, but this isn't goddam Europe, and I am thankful it is not. There's really not a whole lot more to be said.

Huhh? Are you saying that the Europeans are more gutsy than NASCAR drivers?

Yes he is but they're still better than Commie Queers from Colorado.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Somebody should start a thread asking why we don't hoist a surrender flag as readily as they do in France.

First sumbitch to hoist that flag gets shot in the nut sack!

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by djs
Visibility, or lack thereof, would be one of the main reasons. It's is hard enough in road racing when you come up to pass another car, but usually in road racing you are not running at sustained high speeds with a pack of 20 plus cars. The drivers couldn't see anything and on TV it would probably look like a horizontal hurricane. Also, cars in NASCAR don't generate the downforce generated by prototypes and Formula 1. While Indy cars will run rain tires on road course tracks, they don't at the ovals.

At the Le Mans 24 hour race, cars pass each other (in blinding rain) at 160 mph. The race has four classes of cars racing (some can do over 200 mph, while some "production" cars can do 150 mph), so passing speeds vary even with the very limited visibility. Accidents do occur, but they still race - isn't that what's racing all about?

You have a good point , dis.

The way I’ve heard the 24 hours of Le Mans is that it’s the equivalent of motorcycles’ Six Day Trials (enduro) event.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Iirc, Paul Newman was quite a competitor at the 24 hours annual race.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs

And the fastest lap at Le Mans lap is 155mph, so that means they also had a lot of slow areas of driving. The fastest completed 500 mile race at Daytona alone is 177mph.

There is a reason why even Indy cars don't run ovals in the rain. High banked oval tracks, rain and racing don't work well together.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by sackett
Originally Posted by djs

And the fastest lap at Le Mans lap is 155mph, so that means they also had a lot of slow areas of driving. The fastest completed 500 mile race at Daytona alone is 177mph.

There is a reason why even Indy cars don't run ovals in the rain. High banked oval tracks, rain and racing don't work well together.

Le Mans doesn’t have any cambered turns to speak of. Any way you cut it Le Mans is a punishing test of men and machines.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
NASCAR tries to keep their events more fan centric. In Lemans how much of the race does the average fan get to see? How about Bristol?

This ain't Europe, and I am glad it ain't. No Euro-envy here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
NASCAR tries to keep their events more fan centric. In Lemans how much of the race does the average fan get to see? How about Bristol?

This ain't Europe, and I am glad it ain't. No Euro-envy here.

No envy involved here. Watching something for 24 hours is akin to listening to the annual Iditarod for the duration.

I did really enjoy “Ford vs Ferrari “, though.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.