Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Honestly I buy the cheapest one I can get my hands on. After a season of bouncing in the boat and sliding around in the bed they are threw. But ive gotten my $15 out of it.

GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
YES, Pelican, ..n have Run the Alum/ Plastic Gamut

think Action/TriggerGuard disassembly ( BarreledAction/ Stock w/ ScrewDriver on Board ) AR15esk-ish Length

Golden...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used a bunch of hard gun cases for travel over the years--and worn out more than one aluminum case, including a custom-made, 2-gun take-down case that was VERY highly rated at the time. In my experience really tough tough synthetic cases hold up much better.

Have had companions use survey-type cases like the Tuff-Pack, and would NOT own one. They are not only a PITA to unload and then load up again when required by Customs or airlines, but on one of them the lock did indeed break. One companion also lost his key.

Had a brand-new 2-gun SKB bust pretty badly on its very first trip to Africa. Yeah, they're guaranteed, but that doesn't do you much good on the trip itself.

Much prefer take-down cases, and for the last 15 years or so mine has been a Browning Bruiser single take-down, with wheels at one end. It is FAR easier not just to wheel around airports than larger, longer cases, but also fits into vehicles much easier--whether an overloaded Land Cruiser in Africa, but a smaller sedan in Europe.

Also, just about ANY long gun can be easily taken down enough to work fine. Aside from break-action guns, have taken the stocks off many bolt-action rifles, and even the buttstocks off Ruger No. 1s and Savage 99s. Put 'em back together and they usually shoot right where they did before. I always take along appropriate screwdrivers anyway.

These days Browning offers a 2-gun takedown Bruiser.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the Tuffpak. Got it at an auction and saved some money. It can be a pain, but it is doable. I like the extra space in one of my two checked bags.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I bought a couple of the SKB single rifle cases; I think they are the model 4900. They have the eggshell foam and no cutting is necessary. They'll handle my 26"-barreled Model 70 easily. Well-built cases that offer a lot of protection. I've gotten away from the double rifle cases of which I've had several. They are just too bulky and way too heavy if you put two rifles in them. I'd never fly anywhere to hunt, but I think the SKBs are approved for airline use. I don't know what the SKBs cost now, mine were around $125.00 and well worth it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
They are now 149.00 but Sierra Trading Post has them for 99.00.

I like them.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Pelican 1750 with cut out foam. Buy extra foam for different rifles on different trips. Add knives, flashlights, binos and other valuables, plus targets, paperwork, misc tools...

A valuable tip I just discovered is to take out the foam and pack rifles in soft cases inside the Pelican. That way, when you reach your destination, you have a soft case for daily travels on the hunt without taking up valuable duffle space.

And finally, they're tougher than shiit.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 02/25/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Can't understand the knock on the Tuffpak. You lay it down on the floor or a table, slide the Tuffsack out, show the guns and slide it back in. I'll take 2 minutes of "PITA" over a trip's worth of peace of mind any day. YMMV
This is for a month long trip to Tanzania for the wife and I with 2 rifles.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Blacktailer; 02/26/20.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Can't understand the knock on the Tuffpak. You lay it down on the floor or a table, slide the Tuffsack out, show the guns and slide it back in. I'll take 2 minutes of "PITA" over a trip's worth of peace of mind any day. YMMV
This is for a month long trip to Tanzania for the wife and I with 2 rifles.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Don't know anything about Tuffpaks, but FULLY agree re survey cases..don't understand the bullsh!t above about locks, unpacking, etc...

There are no integral locks on a survey case. They have holed tabs where a padlock can be fitted.

Opening the top and sliding each softcase inside out to reveal the firearm is a 2 minute deal...I've done it literally hundreds of times.

I'll do it again this year when I head down to Cordoba, Argentina where I built a Cement Plant years ago, like I do EVERY year to shoot doves on the place of a good friend I made there...oh, and when I fly to Aberdeen, Scotland twice, first to cull Red Stags, then to cull Hinds, where my wife and I own a flat we bought while working there on North Sea oil projects like I do EVERY year...Oh, and when I meet my best friend, business partner, and the finest hunter I've ever known at the Istanbul Atatürk Airport for our Bezoar Ibex hunt to click off one of the last he needs to finish his Ovis Slams...we'll BOTH have our rifles in survey cases...

And, If I get home to Idaho I'll take pics of the Pelican 1750 with bent/stoved wheels that won't turn, and the SKB with literally TORN hinges that are in a trash heap in my barn...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
I'm a fan of SKB cases.
I like the egg crate foam, I can fit anything that fits as opposed to cutting foam and it's fit to that specific gun/scope.

Another alternative I like the concept of is an empty hard case and place a soft sided case placed inside.

SKB's are a hell of a lot lighter than Pelican's and other hard plastic think plastic cases. I will second the SKB's I have both and always grab the SKB.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SKB Bow and Rifle caes and somewhere in the garage is a shotgun case too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
'Thar it TWas Johnny, ...SurveyER's Case ( ...Literally Talkin' Hundos of Times'es )

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
.....dont judge, aint built no CeMent Plants

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,641
Posts18,474,477
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.