Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
This came to me quite unexpectedly from a garage sale, quite a long time ago. I'm sad to say I haven't even had it out to shoot.

That stock was made for a lefty, as evidenced by the cheekpiece, but I find it just as comfortable held right-handed.

That's a Bushnell Scopechief 4X in weaver mounts on top. It has a post and crosshair reticle, which I find very quick and useful for a low-magnification scope.

Anyone else have something special come from an unexpected source?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by czech1022; 02/20/20.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
what action and caliber?

Ed

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks like a 96 Mauser
Really nice wood
What caliber?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, at a yardsale, like yours......
It was probably 1986 or 87. I was just a kid. Only had a few bucks in my pocket. Mom stops at this yardsale and I quickly find this B.B. gun. I had never saw one like it.
It was a Remington and it was a pump. When you cycled the forearm it just slid straight back unlike the Daisy that had the big piece of metal that slid downward. It was in fair condition and looked just like a Model 17 or 31 pump shotgun. The price was $20 dollars.
I just had to have it. I begged mom and begged and after convincing her of the rarity of this piece, she finally consented and I became the proud, new owner of an old Remington air rifle. I got her paid back a couple of weeks later.
It was a heckuva conversation piece because no one had seen one.
I kept it about 15 years and out of the blue a man called me from Ohio. He said he would be in town over the weekend and would like to see it as he was a collector of air rifles. It turned out he had family here and had heard about the old Remington through a brother.
We set up a date and he came into work to look at it. He told me that there was around 25,000 of them made in the late 1920's through the early 1930's, but that was the first he had ever seen. He offered me $300 dollars and I took it. I could tell he had more appreciation for it than I did so I was glad to see him get it. I don't have any pictures of it but wished I had taken some. Anyway, I never regretted selling it.
I took the money, put it with some I had saved, and bought me a Franchi AL-48 in 20 gauge which I still have.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 02/20/20.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice looking rifle.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
The Swede is a 6.5x55, either a cut-down model 1938 or, more likely, a Model 1894.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
unexpected source? yeah
someone sent me a stock to recut the checkering on. pretty messed up. got it fixed sent a picture and this someone responded by sending me the gun. it is my go to gun now. savage 110 in 30-06.
Yard sale, bought as American arms derringer in 45 colt for 75.00
Another hard sale I got a 788 Remington 6mm for 125.00
Another one I got a rem model8 in 35 rem for 75.00

Last edited by deerstalker; 02/21/20.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It didn't come from a garage sale but it was almost like that. My dad was VFW post commander back in the 80s.They were selling off their 03-A3 Parade-Funeral guns to replace them with Garands. They had one left and one of the guys working with him asked if he wanted that last one. He said what the hell he didn't need it but he knew somebody that would love it. That somebody was me. He called the house and said come over cause he had something for me. I went over there and he hands me this gun. Somebody told him it wasn't really shootable because it was a blank gun. I took it home and put it in the safe and forgot about it. Well a few months later one of my deer lease buddies that knows all about Mil Surps was talking with me about our deer lease and I ask him about the rlfle. I told him they said it was a blank gun. He said as far as he knew there was no such thing in an 03-A3. I got it out of the safe and he pulled the bolt out and looked down the barrel. He said that's just a regular 03-A3. It should be ok to shoot, but he suggested I put it in a shooting vise and attach a string to the trigger and shoot it like that the first shot or two. So we loaded up my rifle vise and the rifle and a few rounds and went out to his farm land. We set it up on his shooting bench and tied a piece of cord to the trigger, loaded one in the chamber and got behind a big piece of concrete he had sitting there n the turn row next to his make shift shooting range and pulled the trigger. Boom! It shot fine and nothing flew off of it. So we loaded up another one just to make sure and BOOM! Success again. Then we got brave and decided to shoot the rest of a box of rounds ourselves. He had a piece of plywood set up out in the field that he used to sight in his deer rifles. So I sat down we took turns firing off a few and we punched a little paper with my new found toy. It shot ok and I was overjoyed to find out I had acquired a real rifle for free. It's a part of my Mil Surp collection now. I take it out every once and a while and shoot a few rounds through it and my 1917. I thought about sporterizing it until I found out what you could get for one now days. It will go no where and nothing will be changed on it as long as I'm breathing and on this side of the ground.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/20/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by czech1022
The Swede is a 6.5x55, either a cut-down model 1938 or, more likely, a Model 1894.

How long is the barrel?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was with Bearrr264 back in the mid-1980's when he stopped at a yard sale and drove away with a minty Marlin 336SC IN 219 Zipper and a special order 1873 Winchester.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
You lucky mofo 😊

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have a friend who stopped in an old "general store" in Arizona in the 1960s. It was an old place, with wood floors and open rafters. Up in the rafters he saw what looked like a rifle box, and asked about it. The owner said it was an old rifle that never sold, and when my friend asked to see it, the rifle turned out to be an original 1866 Winchester, in pretty much perfect condition, due to the dry desert air and the fact that the box had never been opened. As I recall, he got it for $150.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd like to know where you live if the folks sell stuff like that at a garage sale.......All I see is old kid's clothing, strollers, housewares, and worn out lawn equipment.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I bought an unmolested Pre64 M70 Alaskan stock for $20 at a yard sale. As soon as I got to the truck I made a call to a collector buddy of mine and had it sold for $300.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Around 15 years purchased a Marlin 336 carbine in .32 Special, in very good condition, at a local Montana garage sale for $200. That doesn't occur as often as it used to, I would suspect due to the Internet. These days I more often see rifles and shotguns with prices very close to new retail. I have no idea what the sellers are thinking--partly because I have never seen one sold....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a Kalispel double scoped rifle case at a garage sale for $15

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a nice Savage 24V .222 over 20 ga. at a local yard sale for $175 I think. I miss those days.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[quote=reivertom]I'd like to know where you live if the folks sell stuff like that at a garage sale.......All I see is old kid's clothing, strollers, housewares, and worn out lawn equipment.[/quot

I haven’t seen a gun at a garage sale in ages and to be honest, around these parts there aren’t as many garage sales as their used to be.
I think a lot of people sell stuff on Facebook.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by czech1022

How long is the barrel?

It looks way too long for a '94.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,538 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.