Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by splattermatic
I'm a moderator on wwwfalfiles.com
Go to the forums, and all the info you seek is there.
They are heaviesh.. can be temperamental if a build, have adjustable gas systems, and are plenty minute of human.
I had a built all Imbel para, 50.63 clone, that I took many a 1st in service rifle shoots with.
There is a diff in metric mags and inch.
No, the little tit metric mags won't fall out under a good bump.
So many faliseces here about fals.
They wouldn't be called " The Right Arm of The Free World", nor adopted by over 93 countries if there were not a 1st class weapon.

Mine did, but Ill tell it -- it cant do that, but I don't think it speaks English.

Never had to tell my M!A matchs, Galils, or HKS they couldn't do that . Only reason they were in 93 countries is because the Galil hadn't been made yet. and they would still be used if that were true.

Last edited by Etoh; 02/23/20.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Etoh
Only reason they were in 93 countries is because the Galil hadn't been made yet. .....

So the galil has been used in 94 countries?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And were you using metric mags in an inch pattern ?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No on mags, over a 10 year period shot close to 15000 rds through 3 different ones during the craze of the 80s. (surplus and reloads)
will say its easier to reload for than HK.CETMEs

a countries adaptation of a military arm is more political than the nature of the gun. (AK-47s) Have you ever shot a Galil ? National Match M1A, An AR10T or a GAP10 to compare?

Hey if you like the gun, thats great, its like old Colt 45s, you don't need an excuse to have it, but thats got nothing to do with its performance against other battle rifles.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Lithgow would be the pick of those two (L1A1) it is an imperial not metric version

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, Etoh, I've shot and owned all sorts of what we'll call aw's.
I'll still pick a FAL, over all others.
Inch selector is more user friendly, but the taller sights, lend one to have a more raised head while firing.
The folding charging handle is nice on the inch, but can be had for the metrics.
The inch had few muzzle options, where as the most common combo device on the metrics lend to more use from training to launching grenades.

Etoh, you keep touting a Galil.
Why is it the Israelis got rid of it ?
Please explain to me the virtues of this AK47 derived weapon system.

Last edited by splattermatic; 02/24/20.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
same reason US got rid of M1. times move on. economies and militaries change

like I said, if you like playing with one---- have at it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But the U.S., still chugs along with the good old M16, and still sells them to Israel, and other countries.
What countries use the Galil ?
Many countries are still using the FAL/L1A1.
The Galil ?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
But the U.S., still chugs along with the good old M16, and still sells them to Israel, and other countries.
The Galil ?

Who gives a sheet? what country has what gun is not my criteria for buying one. Like I said get an AR10 and you won't have to use iron sights, better trigger don't need a cheekrest, and is more accurate

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Etoh
The Galil ?

Who gives a sheet? what country has what gun is not my criteria for buying one. Like I said get an AR10 and you won't have to use iron sights, better trigger don't need a cheekrest, and is more accurate
You're the one who keeps bringing up the Galil. Yet, you don't way what is so great about it.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
No splattermatic is the one that keeps bringing up Galils. I keep saying I don't give a sheet. will repeat again get an AR10 or better yet a GAP in 6.5 Creed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Get an AR10 for practicality, get a FAL if you love the history and want the Right Arm of the Free World.

They are nice pieces, but they are dated. I love my FALs, warts & all. But when I have something serious to do (competition or hunting type serious) I pick up something else.

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I’ve always wanted one for no better reason than I want one. I know less even than the OP does about them, and that has always stopped me from buying one. I don’t want to buy something dumb, and I’m too lazy to do the research.

I keep hoping someone I trust will sell one someday so I can close my eyes and just buy it.

Let us know how it turns out. I’m excited for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But what if I dont want an Armalite AR10, and prefer the sr25/dpms models ?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
But what if I dont want an Armalite AR10, and prefer the sr25/dpms models ?
LOL! Same/same

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
DPMS just went tits up.

Remington closed the doors on them.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FALs are great but they are annoying to buy. You either need a good kit gun by a good builder or you need a factory built original for like $3k+. Go over to the FALfiles as previously mentioned and find a kit gun. I have sold most of my AR-10's but still have 2 FALs. It's not an accident that everyone used them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When you go to buy a smith or home built FAL ask the builder if they know what "bolt clearance" is. If they do know, ask them how they controlled for it, because it is critical to FAL accuracy, especially the first shot.

FALs should be headspaced on the tight side and the clearance between the chamber face and the locking shoulder with the bolt in place should not be greater than 3 thou. IOW, if you could push the bolt against the locking shoulder and stick a feeler gauge between the barrel face and the bolt face, you wouldn't be able to fit a feeler thicker than 3 thou there.

Note also that when you headspace a FAL, it is typical to pick up another thou or two in headspace length after it is fired.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/26/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had one for about 20 years, and it's lost it's "cool" appeal for me. Mine is a parts gun on an Imbel receiver, and was put together by a local gunsmith who built a bunch of them back in the day. The problem I have is that I get older, the harder a time I have in seeing open sights, so I prefer rifles with some form of optics on them. I don't want to mount a scope or red dot on the FAL, so have been thinking about selling it.

The problem is, I have no idea what to price it for, as from what I've seen, prices are all over the board on them. Mine's not anywhere close to mint, but it's also no piece of crap, as it's a very good shooting rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day, when I was 195 lbs and carrying 110 lb packs and canoes through the woods, I thought the FN FAL was cool beans. That was 1982. I had a buddy who had one. There were several floating around the club I belonged to. If you ever shoot 7.62 full-auto from the shoulder, you'll find it a moving experience.

Nowadays? Not so much.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,268
Posts18,486,569
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.