Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Tyrone
A properly built budget gun is just as good as a high dollar piece.
What constitutes “properly built”?
Depends on what you are building for. Doorkicking vs precision for instance.

What you are paying for with the high $$ guns is good parts, inspection and warranty. If you build a gun with good parts and it works, you have a good gun. Period.

I'll put my home-assembled competition guns up against smith-built guns any day and in fact I do all the time. They've been good for match wins, the P-100 and Distinguished. If I put them in the hands of someone like Brandon Green I'm sure he'd win just like he does with his AMU-built guns.

Politics is War by Other Means
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
For $600.00 buy this one:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

Then throw in a stripped lower for $50.00, and you are right at your 650.00

Best advice here. Then upgrade as you decide what you want and have the money to do so.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by TWR
Dre, would you stake a contest hunt or trust your life on it?

I see guys shoot pistol competitions with high dollar custom guns and others who choose fake Chinese C-More red dots. How serious are you about it? Maybe that's a better question.

I’m under 600 dollars serious.
Was the question About building the best money can buy or budget AR?

I'm taking that as a "no" then.

Take it how ever you want.
Just saw this article pop on my news feed
https://www.shootingillustrated.com...ndustries-complete-ar-15-upper-receiver/

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If that warms your heart then have at it.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now I’m all fuzzy and warm. Thank you

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That CBC “Mil-Spec” bolt carrier group, isn’t.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by falcon007
For a built rifle, Ruger has made improvements to their AR line with the AR-556 MPR (#8514). It has the 18" barrel, two stage trigger and is a good entry AR. Available now for $550-$600+, it's considered a bargain for what you get. Don't wait til Bloomberg or Bernie gets the Dem nomination, buy now.

[Linked Image from warriorsandsheepdogs.com]

https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/ruger/8514-ar-556-mpr-5.56-18in-30rd-black/

I’m going to pick one of these up soon. I like the extra 2” of barrel for hunting, and it’s nothing I’d worry about for defensive purposes either. This has a 5R barrel, and the trigger is supposed to be really nice. I love PSA, but the trigger you’ll get with that kit gun is just a stock mil-spec trigger.

Plus, you don’t have to build it! That nice trigger will work with any upper you buy - or build.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://i.postimg.cc/W1fgqT8M/20190202-152842.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/t4rtdhqn/20190202-152847.jpg

I had to send my upper back to PSA twice requested money back but nope. 60 rounds the handrail walked forward while shooting. They sent it back with minor damage on barrel. Wont be buying an upper again from them. I know several who have had luck with them, but not me.

Last edited by Esox357; 02/28/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would put it toward a Brownells A1. Light, remember light? Skinny, 20 inch slow twist barrel, high velocity barely stable bullet. Soft shooting, seems to want you to hit. No scope.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you eliminate the "defense" part a lot of inexpensive options open up.

But if you're serious about defensive use for it you won't be able to get it done for $650.

Horse shixt.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I repaired three “budget build defensive rifles” this week. You can scoff all you want but when you start dealing in volume trends definitely appear.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Blue,

What kind of problems were you seeing, and after what kind of round counts?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A castle nut that wasn’t staked came loose, trigger springs were installed incorrectly, and one of those stupid exposed gas blocks that hold on a fore end came loose (they always do).

It all happened within about 500 rounds with us, but I don’t know what the round count was before that. I suspect not many.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Saw a PSA choke 3 or 4 times today. Guy said it ran like a champ earlier. I didn't look nor care.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Heavybullets
I recently bought a PSA 6.5 Grendel complete assembled 12" pistol with adjustable brace and I can't tell you how impressed I was with the fit and finish. I've bought RRA, DPMS ect. complete rifles before at much higher cost that didn't come close. I'm sure you can find a complete rifle in your budget from them. They often have sales that are un beatable by the much larger shops. They say they produce rifles for the working man at a price point they can afford and that's an absolutely honest statement . Real quality at a reasonable price! Check them out
Good Luck and Good Hunting
Lj

I did something similar a few weeks ago...same PSA build but a 5.56 and I was also impressed with the fit and finish. I had never considered an AR pistol before but I wanted something that I could carry with me on the snowmobile and figured I'd try out the pistol. It's loud, but shockingly accurate (I'm running a Romeo 5 on it) and it'll eat every type of ammo I throw at it.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
If you eliminate the "defense" part a lot of inexpensive options open up.

But if you're serious about defensive use for it you won't be able to get it done for $650.

Horse shixt.

Ummm, no.

If you buy or build a POS, it is a POS.

And a POS with POS internals & parts MAY run 1,000 rounds & just when when you think it's all good & you need to count on it, it breaks. And you be fooked.

With known, proven parts from a known, proven & reliable source, it will be good when you need it to be good.

YMMV & to each his own.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A castle nut that wasn’t staked came loose, trigger springs were installed incorrectly, and one of those stupid exposed gas blocks that hold on a fore end came loose (they always do).

It all happened within about 500 rounds with us, but I don’t know what the round count was before that. I suspect not many.
I thought you were a proponent of the M&P series of AR's from S&W...to be specific, within the OP's parameters of both defense and price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. The only one I’d recommend might be the Magpul Edition that has a nitrided 5R barrel with mid-length gas. It seems to be gassed reasonably, and with a blue or red spring and H buffer or the A5 system is very smooth.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If you want resale value, forget about a "build". Get a $550 S&W or Ruger and shoot the snot out of it. There are "builds" all over Armslist that no one will buy because they don't know what parts went into them or what a possibly inexperienced builder did or didn't do properly when putting it all together.

For one of the best values in red dot sights, check out the Holosun on Youtube (although I have a Romeo 1 on my Sig M400 and like it very much). You'll want backup iron sights if the gun is for self-defense because anything electronic can and eventually will fail - make sure they are metal and not plastic. You'll probably eventually want to replace the trigger with something better, and you can buy a good one for under $100 from a number of suppliers - they're very easy to install.

That's all the advice I have: buy a complete gun with a warranty (so you know what you're starting with), get good sights and a good trigger - and shoot a LOT.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
K
Kota Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Well, I ended up buying that Seekins upper and Seekins BCG and Bolt with the Seekins rail and a 16" Wilson tactical 1/7 twist Barrel And Noveske flash can from KLM on here.
Putting it on an Aero Precision M4E1 SLR DTOM special edition Lower.
Seekins Red lower build kit with ambi safety and extended bolt release.
RRA 3.5 lb 2 stage varmint trigger
Putting a FAB DEFENSE M4 Rifle Survival Butt stock with Built-In 10 rnd Mag Carrier and Fab Defense grip.
Burris 3-9x40 scope on Warne mounts
So much for spending $650,
Be into it for about $1,200 by the time i'm done grin

Last edited by Kota; 03/18/20.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.