Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cisco1

Stainless steel.

+1
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can make it as involved and complex as you want, but I would just use a real good Exterior Polyurethane. I'd sand it down to open the grain a bit, then thin the first coat and put it on heavy and let it soak in for a while. Wipe off excess, and after it dries over night, paint it with poly a few times letting each coat dry for a day in between. It makes it dry better in the long run. I have done this to benches years ago, and they only get screwed up if I do something dumb, but normally they hold up well to use as a gun bench or work bench.

Last edited by reivertom; 02/25/20.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Linseed oil by itself, or shellac by itself would be a really poor choice.

Since it is a work bench, I would use what ever I had on hand, but I have a woodshop with quite a bit of finishing materials. Usually for a work bench, I use a mixture of linseed oil, spar varnish, and mineral spirits, but spar varnish by itself would be fine. I just don't like it going on thick, so I thin it out for the first coat or two, then use just the varnish for the final coat or two.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a lot of respect for poly. Its very tough. I told on here before about having to rehab a rental unit that belonged to my Dad 2 years ago. The hoarder that was living in it totally wrecked the place. The kitchen cabinets that my folks had put plain old minwax poly on sometime in the late 80's were caked with grease and grime from some 19 or so years of never getting cleaned (previous tenants before hoarder were decent). I took the doors off and cleaned them with a really strong ammonia and water solution and the grime just oozed. But to my amazement, the finish underneath was still stuck on and looked pretty good, just a little dull. Being an overachiever, (ha!) I scuffed them with 120 grit sandpaper and went back with a couple of fresh coats and they looked brand new. That is the great thing about it, if you want to freshen it up you can just clean/degrease, scuff, and give it a fresh coat or two.

IF the bench is going to be inside a shop, I would not go with the outdoor version. I was gonna do that on my cabinets because I was looking for the toughest thing going and found online that the outdoor finishes are softer/more flexible to help stand up to UV and the elements....they are designed for expansion and contraction. The indoor stuff is harder and more abrasion resistant which might be a little better on a worktable.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by reivertom
You can make it as involved and complex as you want, but I would just use a real good Exterior Polyurethane. I'd sand it down to open the grain a bit, then thin the first coat and put it on heavy and let it soak in for a while. Wipe off excess, and after it dries over night, paint it with poly a few times letting each coat dry for a day in between. It makes it dry better in the long run. I have done this to benches years ago, and they only get screwed up if I do something dumb, but normally they hold up well to use as a gun bench or work bench.

In general urethanes dry harder if coats are applied rather quickly rather than long drying stretches between coats. The polymers link between coats much better, rather than just within the coats. Can directions will give a strong clue about that and there are exceptions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by htredneck
Equal parts BLO, mineral spirits and either varnish or poly...

Got a little ahead of myself last night, this is what I’ll be using.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hangunnr

Got a little ahead of myself last night, this is what I’ll be using.

Skip the BLO. Hardware store BLO is low grade garbage. It will soften your finish, inhibit drying, add nothing positive, and reduce waterproofness.

Mineral spirits do not improve penetration. It is easy to test for that. A very small amount will improve flowing, but it should not be used unless needed.

Water-Based urethanes are harder than regular oil-based and non-yellowing. They would be an excellent choice for a bench top.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of the oldest wood finishes there is, looks great and can take some abuse...

Considering Chinese and Japanese used lac beetles for exquisite finishes well over a thousand years ago and polyurethanes were invented in the 1930s and started being used in finishes in the '40s you can be sure it is one of the newest finishes out there. Adding BLO and mineral spirits is only asking for trouble.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Got the top completed. Ended up going with some exterior grade spar urethane, mainly because I already had some. Oak was used to trim it out and for the box on the slide out.

Should work out nice for some light wood working and stock work.

May yet add some holes for bench dogs and clamps.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

This shop table is a culmination of parts scavenged from 4 demo/retrofit jobs I have been on over the years.
The casters came from a junk gurney from a hospital, the table body, top and computer keyboard slider came from 3 different school rebuilds.

Decided to treat myself to a new parrot vise to finish her off.....

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
That looks great! Nice job.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What's a good source for cheap or at least reasonably priced butcher block? I need a piece 60"x30" for a reloading bench.

Nice job on the bench. Looks great.

Lumber liquidators sell butcher block in various sizes and types of woods. Pricing isn’t bad when it’s on sale

I’ll stick with the BLO treatment. This is the outdoor kitchen area. Butcher block gets treated 3 times a year. A light sanding and reapply. Works in southern NJ but apparently in Alaska it’s worthless.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am going to add a number of butcher block bench tops to my shop and will probably use Home Depot, as they are local and deliver

https://www.google.com/search?q=but...951j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Originally Posted by High_Noon
What's a good source for cheap or at least reasonably priced butcher block? I need a piece 60"x30" for a reloading bench.

Nice job on the bench. Looks great.

Lumber liquidators sell butcher block in various sizes and types of woods. Pricing isn’t bad when it’s on sale

I’ll stick with the BLO treatment. This is the outdoor kitchen area. Butcher block gets treated 3 times a year. A light sanding and reapply. Works in southern NJ but apparently in Alaska it’s worthless.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just what is it about finishes that makes some people get their back up and ignore scientific facts?
What Art has to say about finishes is all scientifically proven. And it’s easy to find corroborating evidence from finish manufacturers.
Is it that “what was good for muh Uncle Fred is good enough for me”?
Anyone that challenges or poo-poos these scientific facts about finishes and the chemical make-up and performance needs to do some reading.
Technology advances, keep up or tell yourself you’re right and ignore the facts.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Water-Based urethanes are harder than regular oil-based and non-yellowing. They would be an excellent choice for a bench top.

This is what I would use. Water-based urethanes are very easy to work with and do an excellent job.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.