Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very nice and a TON of work!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Fantastic work OM. Now all you need is to dig a mud hole to bring in the crayfish. powdr

rte Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy cow, stripped to the bare bones.

Good work!

Communist Goals

26. Present homosexuality and degeneracy as normal.
27. Discredit the Bible.
28. Eliminate prayer in the schools.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1561529/posts
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks fantastic!

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Someone asked for a few more pics. Here is some of the things I did that could have been left out, but it makes the house better.

This is a picture of the floor joist in the utility room.... 2x8's on 8" centers. Freezer, water heater, washer, and dryer in this room. If you notice, there is only 1 cinder block under the box frame. Later on, I put them in solid. Since they are on the old carport and this is an inside wall, I didn't mortar them in. On the outside walls, they are mortared in. These floor joist are on their own box frame, but the two box frames are bolted together.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The house had one sill running the length of the house on about a 12' span, under the load bearing wall on the right of the pic. I added one on each side of that sill, so now the sills are on a 6' span.... again 2x8 floor joist on 24" centers, in the original part of the house.

Where I took in the carport, I raised the floor to match the existing floor. Here the floor joist are 2x8's on 16 centers, but since this was a concrete carport, I nailed a 2x4 at the center of the joist, down to and touching the concrete. Acts the same as a sill in the middle of this 12' span. I did it after this pic was taken.

Not required in our part of the country, but I put 3/4" foam board insulation under the metal roof.

There was some water damage in places. Especially around the bathroom, some windows, etc. All of it was torn out and replaced. Window and door openings moved to where they needed to be. The 3x4" OSB replaced the 1x8's that had to be removed for repairs and then the house wrapped, before the siding went on.

Other things I did, but dont have pics of. I insulated the inside walls, between the rooms. Everything painted has a primer coat and 2 top coats..... even the back side of the T1-11.

In the 3rd pic, looking at the carport floor joist, you can see a header. It was around the old carport. 2' from top to bottom and solid. Had to run all the electric lines under the floor in the kitchen area and there are 3 circuits in there. Made things interesting.

I just tried to make it tight and strong.

Last edited by Oldman3; 02/26/20.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I like Lowe's paper much better than Tyvec.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Great work you did there. Now get settled and enjoy it.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have got one major job to complete at a later date..... blowing insulation into the attic. I've held off doing this job until we live in the house a month or so, to make sure all the electrical and ac/heater equipment is operating properly.

Now for my question. There are 2 main types of blown insulation, fiberglass and cellulose. Fiberglass is just what it says. The cellulose is shredded paper and can have fire retardant and boric acid, for bugs, added. Has anyone used the cellulose and tell me anything about it. I know the fiberglass has a R rating of 2.7 per inch, while the cellulose has a 3.7 R rating per inch. The cellulose is a little cheaper and has a better R rating.

Anyone know any pros or cons about either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you plan to go up there more than once every few years go for fiberglass batts (sp?) Just avoiding the itch and glass fibers in your skin and clothes is worth it..(You will still have to throw out the clothes you use to install, unless you wear a tyvek s suit..)

The problem with cellulose is that it absorbs moisture..

It will be warm by the time you install it...use the time to save for the better stuff.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/26/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great job Bucko!

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oldman,

care to share the story of the house? who built it, who lived in it, how long it sat empty?

Sycamore

p/s great job, lot of love in that house!

Last edited by Sycamore; 02/27/20.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Randy - you did a heck of a job! Even with me not knowing the quirks of building in LA - looks like you did very well !
I don't know how to build in that soft of an area - foundation - wise.
Wish I could have come to help you out, though, and I am a pretty good drywall finisher! Expensive, though - work for beer!
Here's hoping "rattlesnake" loves the new digs!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks great!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Great project - thanks for sharing the pictures!

NRA Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Oldman,

care to share the story of the house? who built it, who live din it, how long it sat empty?

Sycamore

I'll go back a ways..... My great uncle and great aunt bought this place in 1923. They sold some of it, but kept most. Great uncle died in the 50's and Dad bought the place, except for 3/4 acre, from his aunt in 1960, that's when she built the house, spring of 1960. They never had kids and when she passed away, Dad inherited this house and the 3/4 acre it sits on. Wife and I lived in the house for about 5 or 6 years and then we moved away. My sister and then one of my cousins lived there at one time or another. In the 90's, Dad started renting the house and there were 3 or 4 renters over the next 20+ years. .

I bought the place, the remaining 75 acres in 2007, but still lived away, and part of the agreement was that Dad could still rent the house, but he was responsible for upkeep. Fast forward to 2017, the last renters moved out and the house needed some serious work, so I asked Dad not to rent it anymore. It sat empty for about a year and that's when Rattlesnake and I decided to move to 'our place'. We had a choice of building a house, buying a trailer and moving it in, or remodeling this house.

After crunching the numbers, it wasn't hard to figure that remodeling this house was the cheapest of the options. If the foundation was good, remodel..... if the foundation was bad, tear the house down. Either way, the eye-sore was going to be removed. After gutting the house and finding out the foundation was in really good condition, we started the remodeling. It's taken us 1 1/2 years, but we're finally about thru. Hopefully by the end of next week, we'll be in the house.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Congratulations! Nice job all around. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Oldman,

care to share the story of the house? who built it, who live din it, how long it sat empty?

Sycamore

I'll go back a ways..... My great uncle and great aunt bought this place in 1923. They sold some of it, but kept most. Great uncle died in the 50's and Dad bought the place, except for 3/4 acre, from his aunt in 1960, that's when she built the house, spring of 1960. They never had kids and when she passed away, Dad inherited this house and the 3/4 acre it sits on. Wife and I lived in the house for about 5 or 6 years and then we moved away. My sister and then one of my cousins lived there at one time or another. In the 90's, Dad started renting the house and there were 3 or 4 renters over the next 20+ years. .

I bought the place, the remaining 75 acres in 2007, but still lived away, and part of the agreement was that Dad could still rent the house, but he was responsible for upkeep. Fast forward to 2017, the last renters moved out and the house needed some serious work, so I asked Dad not to rent it anymore. It sat empty for about a year and that's when Rattlesnake and I decided to move to 'our place'. We had a choice of building a house, buying a trailer and moving it in, or remodeling this house.

After crunching the numbers, it wasn't hard to figure that remodeling this house was the cheapest of the options. If the foundation was good, remodel..... if the foundation was bad, tear the house down. Either way, the eye-sore was going to be removed. After gutting the house and finding out the foundation was in really good condition, we started the remodeling. It's taken us 1 1/2 years, but we're finally about thru. Hopefully by the end of next week, we'll be in the house.

Good stuff! When is the 40 x 80 shop going up? smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, looks really good. Pretty satisfying feeling building you own house. In my first house Dad & I cut the timber out of the bush, had it cut into boards, 2x4, . We sized it more uniform with the garden tractor hooked up to the saw. Dam thing burnt to the ground while at a friends wedding. Second house was bought lumber, was never quite as special. Your the kind of man we need in this world, not afraid of getting a little dirty!!! You'll make lots of memories, & dreams come true. GOOD ON YOU!!!! I'm out, Bill. 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is some good work. I think it would be more accurate to say you built a house than you remodeled one!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Hopefully by the end of next week, we'll be in the house.

How far you having to move stuff, Randy?

Got about any style trailer I can hook up and come help if you need it.

Cost ya a beer and a steak though... grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 54 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,409
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.