Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by tomme boy

Win supplies all manufacturers the basic cup that is used to form the brass.

Winchester or Olin? I ask because the rolls of brass I saw being made into jackets I saw when I toured Sierra were marked "Olin".

Winchester is a brand of Olin. Olin also loads Browning ammo.

GB1

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It has the same brass case as LC. BUT, The FC does not get the last strike that hardens the head. That is the difference between the two.

Are you speaking of the FC brass with the SCAMP dimples?
What is your source for that info?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It has the same brass case as LC. BUT, The FC does not get the last strike that hardens the head. That is the difference between the two.

Win supplies all manufacturers the basic cup that is used to form the brass.

The pure yellow FC brass without the dimples is not the same as FC.

I've read reports that it's not even made in the same plant. It's much softer, and not just the head of case that's different. It's also a different thickness and won't hold a primer like FC due to the primer pocket consisting of softer brass.

As KWG noted, when once fired factory brass won't hold a primer, it's not anything like LC spec brass.

All Federal brass is not struck the last time to save cost. They don't care if you reload.

Originally Posted by NVhntr

Are you speaking of the FC brass with the SCAMP dimples?
What is your source for that info?

Ballistician used to work for Ruger. Info from him.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Military 5.56mm brass is produced using a process called "pre-pocketing" which uses an extra strike to harden the head in the K, L, M region. The bean counters at Federal quit doing that. While the softer 170 Vickers DPH case head is OK for stuff like .44 Magnum and .30-30, it causes real problems in high pressure rounds like the .308 Win., .270, etc. Even in .30-'06 I won't use Federal brass in a Garand.

Quote from my friend

Last edited by tomme boy; 03/05/20.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Military 5.56mm brass is produced using a process called "pre-pocketing" which uses an extra strike to harden the head in the K, L, M region. The bean counters at Federal quit doing that. While the softer 170 Vickers DPH case head is OK for stuff like .44 Magnum and .30-30, it causes real problems in high pressure rounds like the .308 Win., .270, etc. Even in .30-'06 I won't use Federal brass in a Garand.

Quote from my friend

Thanks for sharing this info. It makes perfect sense with what I know of FC vs LC brass, and commercial business practices.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have found FC brass that has a larger primer pocket. The primer will barely stay in. It looks like commercial brass with no NATO stamp and no crimp. I have to wonder if the pocket was stretched by the first loading (hot load ?) or if the primer on the first loading was loose as well. If I can tap out the primer I toss it. If the primer does not fall out tapping it on the table top I mark it and glue in the primer with clear nail polish. I load it light for plinking and it gets tossed after that load is fired.

kwg

I've come across FC brass like that too; IMO it was soft enough that even the mild 223 original loading expanded the primer pocket. Attempting to reload these with anything approaching a full power 5.56 load resulted in blown primer pockets and other "pressure signs" that were really just a result of soft brass.

On the other hand I've loaded FC brass (before encountering bad batches) that loaded just fine with hot 5.56 loads. Those did not have the scamp marks mentioned above either. Seems to me there's just a lot of variation in FC brass, and I avoid using it now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I figure a lot of cost-cutting and time-saving went on during the Obama years that resulting in these problems.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Federal brass has been crap for a lot longer than that

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by kwg020
I have found FC brass that has a larger primer pocket. The primer will barely stay in. It looks like commercial brass with no NATO stamp and no crimp. I have to wonder if the pocket was stretched by the first loading (hot load ?) or if the primer on the first loading was loose as well. If I can tap out the primer I toss it. If the primer does not fall out tapping it on the table top I mark it and glue in the primer with clear nail polish. I load it light for plinking and it gets tossed after that load is fired.

kwg

I've come across FC brass like that too; IMO it was soft enough that even the mild 223 original loading expanded the primer pocket. Attempting to reload these with anything approaching a full power 5.56 load resulted in blown primer pockets and other "pressure signs" that were really just a result of soft brass.

On the other hand I've loaded FC brass (before encountering bad batches) that loaded just fine with hot 5.56 loads. Those did not have the scamp marks mentioned above either. Seems to me there's just a lot of variation in FC brass, and I avoid using it now.

I was able to get a bunch of once-fired .223 from the local prison, when the guards qualified with their rifles. All marked FC, and danged if it doesn't get loose primer pockets after only a couple of loads. I used it when I was prairie dogging, and after using it, I'd dump it down a nearby hole. I got it for free, and it was worth what I paid for it. I feel the same way about WCC, in all truthfulness, but it lasts longer than FC, or FCC.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

480 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 3,510 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.