Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Ive bumped off several stray dogs with 9mm hollowpoints , and I was not impressed..........

so for myself , if looking for canine protection from a handgun , I would prefer something of larger caliber

I had to shoot a stray hound last year that had one of Wifes laying hens in his teeth, a quartering away last rib hit to exit top right skull was over and done quicker than I could get the sight back on him, a 230gr Gold Dot at 966 fps from my Gen4 21 Glock surprised the hell out of me, I have had to 12ga a few dogs over the years with high brass #4's, #1 and 00 buck, that can go without saying, it works and works fast.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I grew up on a farm in the country. Our property was at the end of a dead end county road. Townspeople were notorious for dumping dogs off there. We had farm stock, chickens, turkeys, ducks on our pond, cattle, horses and occasionally hogs. Dad and I shot a lot of dumped off stray dogs molesting our stock. Dad was a Korean War vet and loved his Gov't Model 1911 .45. I grew up shooting that Colt and it was always handy. I wasn't too impressed with hardball. It did the job, but not always with a drop em on the spot kill. Sometimes with a hit that scratched the vitals but didn't center, dogs ran quite a way before we could find it. I started handloading and casting bullets and the 200 gr. SWC at about 1,050 fps was noticeably a better killer. The old Speer 200 gr. Flying Ashtray hollowpoint was very very good at knocking big old mutts down. My first centerfire handgun was a Dan Wesson 6" . 357 magnum. A quick stepping 125 gr. hollowpoint was perfect.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yessir, and even being the marauding strays or ferals that they are, it still sucks to have to shoot one, dogs don't know rules or property boundaries, but their owners/former owners sure as hell do, would be better if we could rid the world of the pos trash feral owners! ; ]

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agree 100%!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
shaman Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Yessir, and even being the marauding strays or ferals that they are, it still sucks to have to shoot one, dogs don't know rules or property boundaries, but their owners/former owners sure as hell do, would be better if we could rid the world of the pos trash feral owners! ; ]

Amen to that. I had a neighbor that used to buy dogs on a regular basis, and then get tired of them and just stop feeding them. A lot ended up being eaten by coyotes, and a few would wind up at other neighbors. Over time, this contributed to the problem. Over the years, I've seen shep/yotes, huskie/yotes, and a bunch of others that were just blurring the lines to where you couldn't tell. The smaller ones get eaten. The larger ones are left to breed.

My buddy, the now-retired dog warden, used to say he was sending 1,000lbs of dog carcasses out to be rendered every 2 weeks. That's a LOT of dead dog.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet MOGC and shaman, it takes a real special kind of POS to let an animal starve by being dropped off somewhere, as said, it would make the planet much cleaner if we could put them down, pure TRASH breeds!

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Most anything preferably bigger than a .22 will work well. Shotgun with #4 or larger shot, M-1 carbine, Mini 14, lever action .357/.44/.30-30, AR-15, M-1928 Thompson, RPG, etc., etc.

I like the way you think.

They come out of their den and congregate at sundown. The coyotes will sound off, and I've had a long-standing fantasy about using an M2 mortar on their dog-asses. I could put my sons 100 yards to either side of the mortar pit and they could shoot azimuths as the dogs start going off. They relay that data to the pit and I could calculate the range and elevation. SuperCore is ex-Airborne, so he knows how to hang and drop.

Dad was in the field artillery. He'd be proud of me.

My dad too. And Brother. I just issued round.......8”&155 nuclear.
But tannerite if you know where the den is and it can be set up.
But if you find the den. Poison gas bombs. Not as dramatic. But effective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SargeMO
I've used the .40 S&W for everything on your list and a lot of things not on it. 180 grain HST will do the trick.

Agreed. I got a carbon fiber S&W of some kind. Light and it hits. Like it a lot.

Why is it When I read your posts I hear it in Robert Duvalls voice?

Didn’t work with slumlords picture.........

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
I've used the .40 S&W for everything on your list and a lot of things not on it. 180 grain HST will do the trick.

Agreed. I got a carbon fiber S&W of some kind. Light and it hits. Like it a lot.

Lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Most anything preferably bigger than a .22 will work well. Shotgun with #4 or larger shot, M-1 carbine, Mini 14, lever action .357/.44/.30-30, AR-15, M-1928 Thompson, RPG, etc., etc.

I like the way you think.

They come out of their den and congregate at sundown. The coyotes will sound off, and I've had a long-standing fantasy about using an M2 mortar on their dog-asses. I could put my sons 100 yards to either side of the mortar pit and they could shoot azimuths as the dogs start going off. They relay that data to the pit and I could calculate the range and elevation. SuperCore is ex-Airborne, so he knows how to hang and drop.

Dad was in the field artillery. He'd be proud of me.

My dad too. And Brother. I just issued round.......8”&155 nuclear.
But tannerite if you know where the den is and it can be set up.
But if you find the den. Poison gas bombs. Not as dramatic. But effective.

Coyote only den when whelping pups. And that's only a few females, not the whole population. They don't all live in dens year round.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I stumbled across a coyote den that had pups in it one time. I got my shotgun and a gallon of bleach, poured the bleach in the den, they promptly exited and I had a ball.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The next litter just had twice as many pups. Killing an odd coyote here and there does very little to the overall long-term population.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Lol... we don't rent pigs either.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
For some reason your situation screams 10mm to me. Id feel really well armed with my G20 and a couple of 15rd mags of underwood 200gr jhp on my side.

Last edited by Nate40; 03/07/20.

Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 222Sako, 219DW, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,998 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.