Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judman
I guess I’m having a very hard wondering why people give a fuuck what others use? Geez I even enjoy my pile o shiit rar American. 😂😂

Because its winter and has been raining for a month straight.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Bama, when/if one shiits out, you’ll be my first text!! Then we’ll laugh like pigs!! 😂😂

All this said, the 300 prc probably won’t have a leupold. Grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Judman
Bama, when/if one shiits out, you’ll be my first text!! Then we’ll laugh like pigs!! 😂😂

All this said, the 300 prc probably won’t have a leupold. Grin

I know I've told you this but I went through this same deal with John (Hondo64d). His Zeiss (no it wasn't a Leupold) went tits up while at the range with me during our first visit in many years. It was epic.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Zed Zed Top? WTF......

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
The question was raised back on Page 3, "When did the problems with Leupold begin?"

Any answers?

Five years ago? Eight years?

If buying a second hand Leupold at what manufacture year would you stop at?

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would buy the most recent example I could find. In Leupold’s case, I don’t fall for the camp line of “they made them better back then.”

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Elvis
The question was raised back on Page 3, "When did the problems with Leupold begin?"

Any answers?

I gave eighty bucks for a gloss Vari-X II 2x7 in low Weaver Top Mount rings a couple of years ago. Seemed fair enough.
I put the scope on a 39M and the rings on a 30-30.
A 4x28 might be a better fit on the little 39. But I like the bigger ocular.

Attached Images
20191102_193141.jpg (15.51 KB, 504 downloads)
Last edited by DollarShort; 02/29/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Billy, Frank and Dusty (of Zed Zed Top) would use a US made scope, as would Brad Paisley.

Everyone's crazy 'bout a shark dressed man!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Any answers?

I am rather curious about this myself. Did the problems start with the "CDS" system? The side focus? I have heard some people say that they have re-engineered the internals of the scopes, guessing cost cutting, had to to make CDS work.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

Any answers?

I am rather curious about this myself. Did the problems start with the "CDS" system? The side focus? I have heard some people say that they have re-engineered the internals of the scopes, guessing cost cutting, had to to make CDS work.

The 2 dialers that went belly up for me were purchased about 12 or 13 years ago. They each went back 3 times,always for new erector springs at about 250 rounds. After they were fixed the third time, I sold them, and replaced them with a SS 3x15,and a SS 3x 9. That was about 7 or 8 years ago, give or take... The Leopold were vari x II 6x18 with target turrets.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by atse

Any answers The Leopold were vari x II 6x18 with target turrets.

I remember seeing mention of problems with the 6x18 models long before the widespread discussion of Leupold reliability.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Mathman: Add this to your "reports" - "I" have been using (shooting and Hunting with!) 6x18 Leupolds for over 25 years now and I currently own/shoot with 6 (six!) of them.
I have yet to experience ANY "problems" at all with ANY of them!
I have them mounted on both big game and Varmint Rifles, by the way.
I have recommended these 6x18 variable scopes to several of my Varmint shooting friends and as far as I know none of their scopes have developed "problems" either.
Puzzling to me YOUR report of "problems" you've "heard" about.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geez, this Leupold stuff is really getting old. Buy what ever the fugk you want. Hope it fugking works.Good Lord!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mathman: Add this to your "reports" - "I" have been using (shooting and Hunting with!) 6x18 Leupolds for over 25 years now and I currently own/shoot with 6 (six!) of them.
I have recommended these 6x18 variable scopes to several of my Varmint shooting friends and as far as I know none of their scopes have developed "problems" either.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

It's puzzling because you're about the last person anyone on this forum should look to for optics advice, and second to last for any advice. Your 25 years of "experience" accounts to a busy fall for some of us, especially your world class optics advice.

The 6-18 Leupold is world renowned for being a POS. If you haven't had problems with them that means you somehow got it zeroed and likely haven't touched the adjustments since...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by atse

Any answers The Leopold were vari x II 6x18 with target turrets.

I remember seeing mention of problems with the 6x18 models long before the widespread discussion of Leupold reliability.

In my infinite wisdom of a dozen years ago, I had my good friend get the 6x18 like mine. It replaced his strait 4x. He was shooting his 270, but said he was having dialing issue's with it. When I went to help him on his place a couple of years ago we sho it at 300, and 500 yds. The problem that we were having was two fold. First, after dialing for elevation, we would shoot, and the poi was about3" lower than it should be.After that first recoil it would settle in. It didn't matter cold barrel, hot barrel, shoot fast shoot s!ow. Over 2 days and many groups the pattern was the same. If you turned the elevation turret, it took one shot to settle. The second problem was return to zero. It would b e close but not on. Maybe a half inch high, maybe a half inch low, it always varied. Two years ago he gave it to his brother and got a SS 3x9. All the problems went away. He has killed 2 elk with it and really likes the scope.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
AMAZING!!! I have had Leupolds since the 1970s.. I have had some issues with a couple I bought used, they were repaired and quickly returned..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is easily agreed that a scope is supposed to be a precision instrument as a dialing optic - where as a set/forget optic doesn’t require the same level of mechanics to make it functional...The two are not the same.

Satisfaction because one scope is working for it’s intended purpose doesn’t mean jack-shît when the other scope doesn’t perform to a level of expectation described by the manufacturer. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like anybody cares, my take is as follows. In my eyes, you are not considered a liar until proven to have lied. I always assume that someone who hates a particular brand because it failed them is correct and had the failure they say they did. I always assume that someone who likes a brand because it has never failed them is correct and they had no such failures. I also assume those two individuals may have used identical items and both are correct based on their own experiences. Being one or the other doesn't make one a better man, a better hunter or even necessarily more experienced. I won't begrudge anybody for their choices that work for them or, more appropriately stated, for their choices that satisfy them.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 03/05/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Like anybody cares, my take is as follows. In my eyes, you are not considered a liar until proven to have lied. I always assume that someone who hates a particular brand because it failed them is correct and had the failure they say they did. I always assume that someone who likes a brand because it has never failed them is correct and they had no such failures. I also assume those two individuals may have used identical items and both are correct based on their own experiences. Being one or the other doesn't make one a better man, a better hunter or even necessarily more experienced. I won't begrudge anybody for their choices that work for them or, more appropriately stated, for their choices that satisfy them.

This makes too much sense for the optics forum.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 36 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.