Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Our resident liberal complaining about falsifying history to make it diverse?

Resident liberal? I vote pro-life pro-gun and pro environment in that order and believe every individual should be equal under the law, free to pursue excellence and rated upon their own personal merits, if that makes me a Liberal so be it.

Anyways, while I’m complaining about the movie I might as well observe that it bothered me that the Black guy, who gets about as much screen time as Harrison Ford, Is kindly, wise and comical, and lives in a tent with his generically indigenous girlfriend, hardly the message I would want to convey to the kids at home this movie is aimed.

They are even shown sharing a bed albeit fully dressed

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Disney is a disease.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Disappointing. All these great large screen TV's, and content continues to decline.
A really good new movie seems about as rare as an electable democratic presidential candidate.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Is that true? A third of American cowboys were black? I knew there were some black cowboys. I know about Bass Reeves, a badass black lawman. I never heard that 3 out of 10 cowboys were black.
After emancipation, thousands of newly freed blacks went west and added to the number of freed slaves in TX. The west was being settled and ranches were badly in need of cowboys. The freed slaves fit the bill nicely. A lot of them also joined the army. They were called Buffalo soldiers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, I found the Black guy more believable because he was African, I knew some kindly, good natured people much like him in Africa. And I also know Black folks were represented everywhere on our Frontiers, these same people far removed in mannerisms and outlook from any ‘Hood culture.

It was the context and the obvious message of it all that troubled me.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was the dog CGI?

Yes, along with all the animals. Looks stupid. You can tell from the trailers on TV.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I should mention that most of the cowboys, both black and white, were just that - cowboys. They tended cattle. The tv westerns were just fiction. Real cowboys cowboyed. They all carried guns but most couldn't shoot worth a darn. Most of them couldn't afford the ammo and the practice time to get even remotely proficient. Quick draws were almost non-existent and shooting from the hip? What a joke.
Any of them who went to the Klondike would have likely been hard working miners, whether prospecting for themselves or hiring out to work in other mines.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I can see that happening. The slaves have all been freed in 1865, these guys can for the first time, go where they want to go, and they can wear a gun! Now that would be freedom. So they went out west and herded cattle.
Don't see many of 'em in our western movies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Was the dog CGI?

Yes, along with all the animals. Looks stupid. You can tell from the trailers on TV.

Just from the trailers, yea it looked that way. Looked cheesy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by Morewood
I don't know how many black Frenchmen ran dog sleds delivering mail in the Yukon but I imagine there weren't many.

Political correctness in the year 2020 means that you have to include at least one Negro in every movie, television show, commercial, or anything else that the public will see. The authenticity of the scene being filmed does not matter, as most of the people who pay to watch that stuff have been so brainwashed, that they don't know the truth anyway.

Yep...you nailed it!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Birdy and I have a friend who is on history staff at Texas Tech univ. He does buff soldier at ft. Concho. He is an awesome guy. And knows his schidt! I’ve also done several other eras of living history with him too. He is quite the character. It’s amazing what he can pull out of his small wedge tent!!! We always ask him how the hell he gets all that stuff in there! Like Fibber Magee’s closet!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sactoller
I don't know how many black Frenchmen ran dog sleds delivering mail in the Yukon but I imagine there weren't many.

Political correctness in the year 2020 means that you have to include at least one Negro in every movie, television show, commercial, or anything else that the public will see. The authenticity of the scene being filmed does not matter, as most of the people who pay to watch that stuff have been so brainwashed, that they don't know the truth anyway.

Yep...you nailed it!

It's not at all far fetched. A black frenchman running mail in real life is entirely possible. The book is fiction and London didn't assign any race to the man. If London wanted the man to be an Indian he would have said so but for the rest of his characters he said nothing. A black is entirely possible.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Read the book over 60 years ago, when I was maybe 10 or 12. Close enough for me. Read so many books in the school library, tended to get in trouble over not doing homework and other bits of mandated crap. London, Jim Kjelgaard and most of Zane Grey's mythologies, were favorites back then.

Ain't been inside a movie theater in years and sure as hell wasn't gonna break the habit for this POS?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Any Jack London story could not be told today in his own words. The harsh realities of life and the day to day struggles in those environs does not fit the 21st century agenda. People dying because they are stupid will not be tolerated.

Founder

WS

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Any Jack London story could not be told today in his own words. The harsh realities of life and the day to day struggles in those environs does not fit the 21st century agenda. People dying because they are stupid will not be tolerated.

Was there a scene in the book where someone fell into a lake, got out, and then froze to death? I think I read that in high school.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can you see them making a movie from Batard?

― George Orwell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Was there a scene in the book where someone fell into a lake, got out, and then froze to death? I think I read that in high school.

Best I remember from the story, the chick and her two male companions eventually all fell thru the ice and all succumbed due to their stupidity.

Edit. I believe her name was Mercedes. Been about 10 years since my last read.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 02/28/20.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by sactoller

Yep...you nailed it!

It's not at all far fetched. A black frenchman running mail in real life is entirely possible. The book is fiction and London didn't assign any race to the man. If London wanted the man to be an Indian he would have said so but for the rest of his characters he said nothing. A black is entirely possible.

Some people are shocked to know that Sandwich Islanders aka "Kanakas" we’re employed in the fur trade in the NW early on like 1810-11 ish. Lots of em!

Founder

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With Jamie Fox as Black Leclere.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone
With Jamie Fox as Black Leclere.

Nope, Jamie Fox would bring in modern ‘Hood speak, Most any African could do it better, or Denzel Washington.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (204guy, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,801
Posts18,496,314
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.