Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Still remember the day I emptied the measure of H335 into the H380 canister - or vice versa - at about that age. My dad was irritated, but understanding as he had me turn the nearly full canister into fertilizer. I still think of that to this day, as my “rule” is one can of powder on the bench at a time... Be glad that he is interested in something other than electronics.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm very thankful. As I said, he's a better man than I was at his age. Nearly three years ago when he was ten, he killed his first brown bear using ammo he loaded himself as I supervised. A 9.3x62 using 250gr TTSXs at 2100 works just fine! The cool thing was we had that bear facing us at 40 yards for 10 minutes. I told him to wait for a broadside angle, but as you can imagine 10 minutes in that scenario seems like a lifetime or two. He grew impatient and asked "Dad, can I rake him?" I told him to stand by for broadside and watched his muzzle. It never wavered, he just sat still with regular breathing watching through the scope, safety off and trigger finger straight. When the bear turned he put two perfect rapid fire hits on it and I gave it one before it went down. In retrospect I didn't need to shoot, but it was a more mother-approved outcome to avoid trailing into the dark woods. I'll never forget his excited, shaky hand running through that fur while saying how great a hunt it was. Boating home at midnight and up early for school the next day was hard, but he was still all grins.

Me at 10......I was a middling squirrel poacher.

The easy out trick is a good idea!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Sniggly
There is nothing less than GREAT POWER in returning to the discussion of this issue with your son, and telling him, "Son, I think I over reacted on this issue. I've made mistakes before too, and I'm proud of you for the attempts you made to correct your mistake. But before you move forward with trying to correct these kinds of mistakes in the future, come see me, and maybe we can find a way to tackle the problem...together".

This.

Sage advice.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail
With no school today I got the kid set up to re-size some '06 cases for Garand fodder. He's into it, and has helped me numerous times before. Idiotically, I figure "What could go wrong sizing cases?" This resulted in (I assume not enough lube) a case stuck in the die, with the rim ripped off. Or as he put it "I even broke off that part at the end the extractor grabs ahold of!" Naturally, being his father's son this wasn't reported until various efforts had been tried to remedy without parental knowledge. On the bench I found: a hammer, a bent awl, and a pair of pliers. The stem had been removed and with the protruding bit of case reduced to a shapeless yellow lump.

Attempts to remove with the stuck case remover were not successful. In the midst of a fatherly rage the die was chucked into the trash. Upon reflection I am much more amused than grumpy as he sized a bunch of cases and it beats the heck out of a day spent on video games or youtube. Like new $22 RCBS set is on the way from ebay. The M1 will sing yet.

What have your kids complicated for you?

This post made me smile also, sounds just like a kid I know. Ha!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by Sniggly
There is nothing less than GREAT POWER in returning to the discussion of this issue with your son, and telling him, "Son, I think I over reacted on this issue. I've made mistakes before too, and I'm proud of you for the attempts you made to correct your mistake. But before you move forward with trying to correct these kinds of mistakes in the future, come see me, and maybe we can find a way to tackle the problem...together".

This.

Sage advice.

Thanks Dr. Phil. (sarcasm)

Let me reiterate: I didn't get grumpy at him. He's an active, curious boy so I expect to have things worn out, broken, or lost. I got angry at tool failure and chucked the die.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HeavyDove
He tried to repair or fix his mistake with his limited knowledge of what will work or not work..........like an adult would have done.

Yep. My first rule of new at-home fix it attempt is, look over my shoulder to make sure nobody else is watching.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1minute, 204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.