Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Why is market volatility even a thing for anyone? If downs and ups scare you, then you shouldn't be in stocks. Invest in good companies and hold for the long-term. Profit is guaranteed. We're still probably twice as far ahead as we would be if Hillary had gotten elected. Why worry?

Why do you have to be scared to pull your money out downturns are opportunities too. You can increase buying power significantly in times like these. Money sitting on the sidelines during times like these is just as if not more valuable than money in the market during good times. Buy low sell high is the game. Letting it ride is a good way to get a 7-10% annual return over long term. However that comes with a ceiling.

You are considering yourself a better market timer than millions of other people out there, including professionals who do it for a living with the greatest technology on the planet. No one beats the market over time other than blind luck. Get in touch with Gamblers Anonymous.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So what you are saying is that the people who bought near the bottom in 2009 are no better off then than who bought at 12-18k, rode it down, and back up again? You don’t have to find the exact bottom but you can sure get in the ballpark.

I know plenty of people who are rather good at buy low, sell high. When I feel things are near the bottom I will pick up 10k worth of vti for the long term. I just bought some investment property that I need to renovate so I will be a bit cash poor for this opportunity.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
They say, It's an ill wind that blows no one good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Paddler
Pretty funny that Trump initially blamed the selloff on the Democratic debate. Now Donnie Jr is saying on Fox that the Dems are hoping that the virus comes here and kills millions of people so we can get rid of Trump. Sorry, that's just weird. Now that Pence is "in charge" I feel a whole lot better.

I don't know where the bottom is. The virus seems to be on the upswing, so I expect the markets will continue to fall in the near term. We're down about 11% so far on our investments, but luckily have enough in checking to live comfortably for several years. Being debt free is nice.

You'd probably bounce a 20 dollar check.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by mirage243
Pretty funny that Trump initially blamed the selloff on the Democratic debate. Now Donnie Jr is saying on Fox that the Dems are hoping that the virus comes here and kills millions of people so we can get rid of Trump. Sorry, that's just weird. Now that Pence is "in charge" I feel a whole lot better.

I don't know where the bottom is. The virus seems to be on the upswing, so I expect the markets will continue to fall in the near term. We're down about 11% so far on our investments, but luckily have enough in checking to live comfortably for several years. Being debt free is nice.

Uh oh, you got me. My wife writes the checks around here. Guessing you're a dumbass cracker, which means you're a Trumper. Good luck with that.

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh, honey.

Your hair looks fine...........

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oh, honey.

And yours looks like sh*t. Just like the rest of you. Are you morbidly obese or just plain obese?

The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport. Saxton Pope
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mirage243

Uh oh, you got me. My wife writes the checks around here. Guessing you're a dumbass cracker, which means you're a Trumper. Good luck with that.

"wife'? ha ha. Does your tranny know you call him that? Guarantee you play the"bottom bish" in that relationship

Id pay a $100 to see Piddles call Jim fat to his face.

Last edited by ribka; 03/01/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Monday morning should be tell us a lot.

Matthew 6:33, still works for me Richard,
wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Put all of my 401k in fixed income early last week. Still lost $60k.
I’ll jump back in after a) the virus runs through the US or b) a vaccine is found. I don’t think the market will stop falling until then.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Remember when Bill Clinton and the liberals wanted free trade well that`s why the stock market is a mess now. President Trump will fix it in time and it will come back . hopefully America has learned its lesson with free trade ? > it should be always equal trade or even a little advantage to Americans ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Calvin
So what you are saying is that the people who bought near the bottom in 2009 are no better off then than who bought at 12-18k, rode it down, and back up again? You don’t have to find the exact bottom but you can sure get in the ballpark.

I know plenty of people who are rather good at buy low, sell high. When I feel things are near the bottom I will pick up 10k worth of vti for the long term. I just bought some investment property that I need to renovate so I will be a bit cash poor for this opportunity.

So you have been holding 10k on the sideline somewhere doing nothing for how long?

It is not statistically possible to beat the market average over time among a broad swath of people. In order to "buy at the bottom" means that one was holding cash on the sidelines somehow, and rarely does cash gain in value while parked. So by holding out for awhile, the investor lost their chance to buy MORE shares and ride them HIGHER, then able to hold on and ride down and back out again.

It's just math. Unless you're better than all the other people on average over time, but alas that's called narcissism, a most common trait among gamblers.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, honey.

And yours looks like sh*t. Just like the rest of you. Are you morbidly obese or just plain obese?

I’m sure you prefer skinny little boys, but Jim’s what real man looks like.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Her old man musta turned her out again eh Stormin?

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Her old man musta turned her out again eh Stormin?

It’s pretty much a guarantee that you post something on every thread which makes little sense and lacks substance. You will be to 30k posts in no time, nice.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thanks for the encouragement. Its tough to stay motivated sometimes.

I am MAGA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
So you have been holding 10k on the sideline somewhere doing nothing for how long?

It is not statistically possible to beat the market average over time among a broad swath of people. In order to "buy at the bottom" means that one was holding cash on the sidelines somehow, and rarely does cash gain in value while parked. So by holding out for awhile, the investor lost their chance to buy MORE shares and ride them HIGHER, then able to hold on and ride down and back out again.

It's just math. Unless you're better than all the other people on average over time, but alas that's called narcissism, a most common trait among gamblers.

It apparently is not difficult to be better than the average of MOST other people over time.

I sure as hell am no gambler. I refuse to even buy a lottery ticket. The state takes a cut of every dollar that crosses the table.

I wish I had known twenty years ago what I know now. But I was not knowledgeable enough to recognize the bubble of 2000-2001.

I was young and just getting started with my 401 K. I had $60K in Putnam funds. I sat on the sidelines and watched it dwindle to $15K. I kept thinking "It'll come back. It'll come back". And it almost did by mid 2007.

2007 started looking like a bubble to me again, so I moved my funds (Prudential now) into stable value, where they sat safely through 2008 while my friends were crying about losing $thousands and $tens of thousands through the months.
Did I pick the highest moment in history to sell? Probably not. But I did not miss it by much.

Did I buy back into stocks at the absolute minimum in early 2009. No, but again, I did not miss it by much.

The bottom line is: Do I have more money in my accounts today because I recognized the signs of unsustainable growth and reacted to them? Absolutely.

Once again it has been easy to recognize the signs of unsustainable growth over the last year. A correction had to be coming. All it needed was a trigger. Economic slowdown in China is a hell of a trigger.

It did not take an Albert Einstein to know it was time to sell stocks by Feb 15 of '20.

Yes, I missed the peak by 2%. I should have put in the sell order for Friday instead of Monday the 24'th. But I sure as heck am not complaining. I will have a lot more cash with which to repurchase stocks in Nov, than if I had just "let it ride".

This is not gambling. This is just common sense.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by pete53
Remember when Bill Clinton and the liberals wanted free trade well that`s why the stock market is a mess now. President Trump will fix it in time and it will come back . hopefully America has learned its lesson with free trade ? > it should be always equal trade or even a little advantage to Americans ?

Yeah, okay... How much do you have invested in the market?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

It apparently is not difficult to be better than the average of MOST other people over time.

I sure as hell am no gambler. I refuse to even buy a lottery ticket. The state takes a cut of every dollar that crosses the table.

I wish I had known twenty years ago what I know now. But I was not knowledgeable enough to recognize the bubble of 2000-2001.

I was young and just getting started with my 401 K. I had $60K in Putnam funds. I sat on the sidelines and watched it dwindle to $15K. I kept thinking "It'll come back. It'll come back". And it almost did by mid 2007.

2007 started looking like a bubble to me again, so I moved my funds (Prudential now) into stable value, where they sat safely through 2008 while my friends were crying about losing $thousands and $tens of thousands through the months.
Did I pick the highest moment in history to sell? Probably not. But I did not miss it by much.

Did I buy back into stocks at the absolute minimum in early 2009. No, but again, I did not miss it by much.

The bottom line is: Do I have more money in my accounts today because I recognized the signs of unsustainable growth and reacted to them? Absolutely.

Once again it has been easy to recognize the signs of unsustainable growth over the last year. A correction had to be coming. All it needed was a trigger. Economic slowdown in China is a hell of a trigger.

It did not take an Albert Einstein to know it was time to sell stocks by Feb 15 of '20.

Yes, I missed the peak by 2%. I should have put in the sell order for Friday instead of Monday the 24'th. But I sure as heck am not complaining. I will have a lot more cash with which to repurchase stocks in Nov, than if I had just "let it ride".

This is not gambling. This is just common sense.

Why wouldn't every other person be doing close to the same then? Especially large investors and stock fund managers? You're not seeing the forest for the trees. Did you ever think that maybe you just got lucky in timing 2007 rather than it being "uncommon" sense?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have done fairly well in life by tuning out the “can’t time the market” crap. Buying low and selling high has worked fine for the market, real estate, and fishing assets. Keeping money tied up “waiting” has zero appeal to me. Way to many opportunities.

Originally Posted by Calvin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,748
Posts18,476,161
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.