GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Can you hit them behind the ear?

Theoretically, yes. But with open sights that's not a shot I would ever take on something other than paper. Not saying others can't or shouldn't... just not something I'm comfortable doing.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thirty years ago lived in NE PA. Matriarch of a family we became friends with kept a .32-20 propped by the kitchen door during deer season. During the time that we lived there, she took several deer that were unfortunate enough to meander thru the side yard during deer season. Meat in the freezer. Never any complaints.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was a boy I know a man who was a WW2 vet, living outside of Eureka Nevada who had killed a few deer with an M-1 Carbine. He fought in the Pacific and my dad and he used to talk a bit about the war. The m1 Carbine was not legal for deer, but he didn't care. He told my Dad and I he'd "shoot-um in the arm-pit". He had a lot of deer on his place and he shot them up close. I can't know for sure, but I doubt he ever lost one.

The 32-20 and the 30 Carbine are pretty close in ballistics so if you heart-shoot them or brain shoot them I am sure it would be OK. The real trick is to have some hunting ethics and never shoot those that you "think will be ok" but only shoot when you KNOW you are going to make the kill.
Many hunters today will not be so disciplined.
If you are, then I'd say to go ahead.

Last edited by szihn; 03/01/20.
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have shot 2 sitka blacktails with a 22 hornet. Shot placement is key.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you take only shots that are within about 50 yards or so, broadside and/or no “obstructions” (i.e. not quartering) in the way and you are proficient with the rifle then I’d say it’s ethical. It’s killed plenty of deer in it’s day and they were most likely as above. Getting the bullet where it needs to be is the key - pretty much no matter the range, caliber and/or size of animal. I have a Winchester 1873 in .32-20 that I’ve taken out for deer but the “right” opportunity had not presented itself and as others have stated it’s about humanely dispatching the animal not “stunt” shooting to brag about how great YOU are.

PennDog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It isn't something I would try, although it can and has been done. I have used my .44 Mag B92 Browning, but my load has 3x the energy at 100 that the .32-20 has.

If I were to use it, I'd probably try to keep shots inside 50 yards.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
This all pretty much confirms what I've been thinking... 32-20 is a no go next deer season.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm_gator
This all pretty much confirms what I've been thinking... 32-20 is a no go next deer season.

Definitely an ethical decision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your .32-20 is anything like my .25-20 M92, it was used back in the black powder corrosive priming days and while I'm sure that I could hit a 50 yard deer with mine, that bore isn't as pristine as I'd like. Accuracy coupled with that buck horn rear sight it would not be a big confidence booster compared with anything else in the gun safe. While Jim Jordan gunned his big buck with a M92 .25-20, if he hadn't broken it's back with one of his multiple shots, I don't think that there would have been a Jordan buck. Use enough gun. I have never found a good use for that little cartridge myself. Fun, but kind of useless imo.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
If your .32-20 is anything like my .25-20 M92, it was used back in the black powder corrosive priming days and while I'm sure that I could hit a 50 yard deer with mine, that bore isn't as pristine as I'd like. Accuracy coupled with that buck horn rear sight it would not be a big confidence booster compared with anything else in the gun safe. While Jim Jordan gunned his big buck with a M92 .25-20, if he hadn't broken it's back with one of his multiple shots, I don't think that there would have been a Jordan buck. Use enough gun. I have never found a good use for that little cartridge myself. Fun, but kind of useless imo.

Mine was built in 1911. Don't know anything about the first 50 years, but it sat unfired from the mid-60s until I got it around 2008. It has some rough bluing spots, but the bore is in very good shape and it's a solid shooter.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Or go with a "big gun", like my 38-40, 1910 vintage 1892 Winchester. It's very slick, very accurate. Bore is shiny with a few pits.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
If you are starving and it's the only gun you own, use it. If that's not the case, then find a more powerful caliber.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
While the 32-20 wouldn't be my first choice for a deer rifle, I have one in a Browning 53 and wouldn't be afraid to use it on deer. Within reason.

The 92 is a strong gun. There are a number of good cast bullets in the 120-135 grain range that safely make the 32-20 in a rifle a considerably different round than the factory loadings.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mart
While the 32-20 wouldn't be my first choice for a deer rifle, I have one in a Browning 53 and wouldn't be afraid to use it on deer. Within reason.

The 92 is a strong gun. There are a number of good cast bullets in the 120-135 grain range that safely make the 32-20 in a rifle a considerably different round than the factory loadings.

'92 is probably the strongest action in its class, thanks to JMB. You could crank up a pretty potent load. But, it would still be a 32-20, just a more powerful one.

I'd rather be shooting a full house 38-40, or even better, a full house 44-40.

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I agree. I'd rather have a 38-40 or 44-40 but still wouldn't stay home if all I had was a 92/53 in 32-20.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Martini in .32-20. It's accurate (with the right "oversize" bullet) and the Martini action will hold astonishingly high pressures because of its design- but the limitations are based on cartridge brass strength. I wouldn't be afraid to employ it in the deer woods with a hell-for-stout load with a lot more "snap" to it than what a factory round delivers, with careful shot placement, but I would much prefer one of my "regular deer rifles" given a choice.

A case can be made for using little mild cartridges like this. I think it basically boils down to how cool/calm/collected the guy is who uses one. I had an old timer friend who started his deer hunting career back in the 30's with a .25-20 Winchester and stuck with it for a long long time, killing a metric ton of deer with it. One of my uncles killed a sh*t ton of deer with a .22 Hornet. (Pennsylvania in both cases.) Their hunting prowess more than made up for deficiencies in their armament.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Agreed

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by moosemike

Agreed

May be missing something??! - one of the “funnest” guns I shoot is that Winchester Model 1873 - it has a single set trigger and with the right load can keep them clustered around an inch at fifty yards with the factory iron sights.....I use this rifle almost exclusively for pistol cartridge silhouette, fall turkeys (here in PA) and squirrels (again with the “right” load) it is a hoot and I have no doubt would kill a deer with the aforementioned caveats......I don’t have to take any shot on deer and haven’t yet but then again hunting has become much more about being out there than having to kill something (for me).

PennDog

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Like other rounds from that era, there are two levels of .32/20 loads, 1873/revolver and 1892 Winchester family. I'd steer clear of using the first type, and use the other up to maybe 100 yards. Back in the day, lots of deer were taken with the high-speed loads, but serious hunters will use something with more power and range under most conditions now. For shooting does, say over a food plot, sure, but not with the anemic factory loads out there now, which are small-game or turkey loads.

Do some research, load up some hot ones, and go for it. Paco Kelly has some good stuff on his site, IIRC.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/3220wcf.htm

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/03/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (16penny, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,957 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,737
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.