Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Canny Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Putting together a classic deer rifle, Remington 700 BDL Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem. I’m wanting to put a classic style high gloss scope on it to match. I found an older Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 in really good shape. Can anyone tell me anything about these optics? Glass quality, etc.

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I believe these to be quality scopes, I have a friend that has used this as his primary deer scope since they came out in an A-Bolt stalker 280.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canny
I found an older Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 in really good shape. Can anyone tell me anything about these optics? Glass quality, etc.

I had a matte finish UCC on a T3 Tikkler in 300 WSM. This scope was made in Japan, and the image quality was noticeably better than my friend's VX-II, VX-III, and Mark IV scopes of that same time period. The Leupos were like looking through a scope with sunglasses, compared to the Nikon. I believe this was 2006 when I bought everything.

I shot hundreds of rounds of 180gr factory ammo using that rifle and scope. It was one of the most accurate big game hunting rifles that I have owned or been around, and the zero never shifted with that scope even with the dreaded vertical split rings laugh And there was a good deal of recoil with that cartridge and relatively light rifle weight grin

Sold the combo to a guy, he shot another 80 - 100 rounds, and then I bought it back, and eventually sold it off for good. Never skipped a beat.

I don't miss that rifle one bit, but wish I still had that scope.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 4th_point; 02/23/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
The Nikon UCC line were great scopes. I had several and agree that the glass was a bit ahead of leupold at the time so a little behind the last few index matched lens leupolds of recent years would be my guess.

The Japanese made Nikon's are way better than current ones to my eyes.

Spence

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't personally speak to the variables, though I've heard good things. I've run a fixed 4X40 on a 10/22 for years and have zero complaints with it.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Monarch UCC 2-7x32 from 2004, still going strong, no problems. Great target view under any conditions I've used it in. Adjustments are precise and don't shift. Philippines made, but would buy another if still available.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two Nikon Monarch UCC scopes. I'm just a "sight it in and leave hunter", but both have been flawless for 7 or years. Mouinted on 30-06 and a 30-30 they don't seem to ever drift.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a 3x9 now and I had a 2x7 with the lock ring focus that I sold to a friend that's still going.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They are my go-to Bang-for-the-Buck scope. I always keep a couple of extras in various magnifications in my safe just in case a stray rifle follows me home. Got them on several rifles. I actually prefer them over the newer Nikons made over the last several years.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I used and liked them since the pre-Monarch days. My favorites were always the 3.3-10x44 and the 4-12x40, both with Nikoplex and AO. My most used was a pre-Monarch gloss 3-9x40 that was used and abused back when I still had mobility and could get out and stalk. It had been drug through the mud and brush, dinged against rocks, hunted with in the rain -- and never once did it ever even hiccup.

The older Nikons have been key in the demise of many hogs. Here are two old prints from 15-20 or so years ago. Pardon the quality of the images. I am stuck with extremely low-rez versions as photobucket is holding my originals hostage . It seems all I can do is download the previews.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Putting together a classic deer rifle, Remington 700 BDL Mountain Rifle in 280 Rem. I’m wanting to put a classic style high gloss scope on it to match. I found an older Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 in really good shape. Can anyone tell me anything about these optics? Glass quality, etc.

cham

First of all, what does UCC signify? I've got 4 Philippine made Nikon Scopes that I'm happy with. The oldest one is a 2007 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff that's one of the clearest, brightest scopes I've owned. I put it on a .30-06 Remington 700 SPS I bought in 2007. Then I bought a 6-18x40 Buckmaster BDC Retical and put it on a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic .22-250 I bought in late 2006 or early 2007 and another 6-18x40 with a Mil dot Retical I have on a Stevens Model 200 I bought around 2011 chambered in .223 Rem. Then in around 2011 I bought a 4.5-14x40 Buckmaster I put on a.257 AI I had made in 2010. These are some of the most reliable clear scopes I own. And I own about 10 Leupolds, 1 Vortex and one Weaver and these.

Last edited by Filaman; 02/23/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
UCC refers to the proprietary Ultra Clear Coat used by Nikon on their lenses.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have had a silver UCC Monarch, made in Japan scope for over 20 years. It hasn’t as much use as other scopes on the 🔥, but I did a face-to-face with the Leupo’s at the time... the Monarch looked better then and still looks great now. I don’t have any of the “newer” made in the Philippines Monarchs... I’m sure they’re nice, but the quality doesn’t seem quite the same as the made in Japan to me. Admittedly, I’m far from an expert!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Ah ok, I missed that in my educational process. Anyway, yes they are clear. Mine I believe are all very clear and made in the Philippines. I'm married to a Filipina. I know the good Filipino cares for quality in all they do. I also know a few Filipinos here in town. Most of them love to shoot and hunt.

Anyway, I like my Nikons, they serve the purpose and my rifles that wear them are very accurate and serve me well.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
They’re solid. Great glass too

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
V
I had a few of these back in the day and They are very good scopes for the money...The best scope for the money I ever owned IMO is the excellent but now discontinued Bushnell 3200/Elite series 👍👍.....Good luck....Hb

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just to add to the pile, I've had a bunch of the Monarch 4x and 6x scopes, and have never had a problem with any of them. Adjustments stay put, glass is a notch above contemporary Leupolds, and they (at least the fixed power ones I've had) hold together. I have a 4x on a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 with at least a couple of hundred rounds through it that still adjusts as it should and holds zero.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Nothing but positives to say about the Monarch UCCs here. We have a 3-9x40 and a 2.5-10x50 that have served us well for years! Just take note: the raised block on the zoom dial does stick out enough that you can mess up a thumb on a rifle with a 90 degree bolt throw!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The old Nikon UCC scope were outstanding. I have a 6.5-20X44 that I will never part with. It is a phenomenal scope. In 2007, a German optics magazine did a full scale test at S&B using their instruments to measure scopes; none of this crappy guesstimate by people who think they can detect a difference in scopes. The tested a couple dozen scopes from the high prices S&B, Swaros, Zeiss, NF and even the cheap lowly Nikon UCC 6.5-20X44 @ $400. The Nikon had the BEST light transmission day and night compared to ALL the other scopes and even the S&B engineers were surprised.

They also tested in freezing temps, underwater, etc. That stupid Nikon had some issues when frozen but still worked, where the Leupolds died. The S&B laughed at the freezing test, as expected. It was epic. The Nikon truly surprised them all. Too bad it's not made anymore. Keep your UCCs close.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Very good scopes. I own several and have never had an issue with any of them and they get used hard.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (264mag, 257heaven, 2five7, 204guy, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,973
Posts18,499,419
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.