Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used danner Canadians for years. Great boot, but heavy. Switched to Meindl Alaskans and never looked back.
Thinking out loud. A pair of Schnees packs for snowy/cold conditions and a pair of uninsulated Meindl's would be about perfect for all conditions one would expect to encounter while elk hunting.
I can get Kennetreks for free through my employers boot voucher program. However the darn things are so stiff and hard that they are plain uncomfortable just walking around the boot shop in them. No thanks.

Last edited by BWalker; 03/03/20.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a cheap azz bottom feeder. I wear hi techs altitudes. Wear out about a pair a year. I been using some Irish setter elk hunters the last two years in the snow. I like them. But gaiters are very nice to have. Especially quite fleecy type. As long as you ain't in the sticker bushes.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by SEMOmike
Guys,

I’m getting ready for DIY elk hunting trip for the first time this year. Costs for gear are already mounting, tent, cot, Badlands 2200 Backpack, new arrows and string for my bow, etc.......

I know you shouldn’t skimp on your boots, and I’m not going too, but I’m looking hard at some Belleville 693 military goretex boots around $200. Is this stupid? Should I pony up $100-$150 more for some Danner, etc.....?

Anyone serve and wear these or very similar. The ratings are great and seem to have very little breakin time. Planning on hitting some of the local conservation area trails this spring/summer to exercise and test boots/gear out. We will be packed in to our hunting area, but will hunt for 10 days on foot.

I’m hoping to make this an annual thing, but costs are mounting!

I'm wearing a pair of Bellevilles right now. Don't do it! Been wearing military issue for 23 years now and they are fine for the office but thats about it

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I broke(cracked) the soles on 2 pairs of Danner boots . Never again

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Don't overlook Meindl boots, I bought a pair for a very rugged country Mountain Goat hunt. They are a serious boot for hiking and hunting.

Agree!

Great choice.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I, along with several buddies, love Lowa GTX Renegades......comfortable, minimal break in, good support. Love em.

+1 on the Renegades.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Probably weren’t Canadians...

Pretty much anything Danner offers in a mid price range and made in China or other Asian country is crap. Pronghorns I’ve seen destroyed or not be 100% waterproof as an example. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Probably weren’t Canadians...

Pretty much anything Danner offers in a mid price range and made in China or other Asian country is crap. Pronghorns I’ve seen destroyed or not be 100% waterproof as an example. 😎

Eagle II's if such is made anymore, they were made in Potlandia Orygun. Airbob soles.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I wear duty boots every (working) day. I don’t wear Bellevilles as I just don’t care for how they fit my feet. I do wear Danner duty boots, but I wouldn’t recommend them for mountain hunting. Duty boots have changed quite a bit in the last twentyish years. Used to be you could get a heavier leather boot like the Danner Acadia but Danner doesn’t make it in Coyote so I can’t wear them in uniform. Duty boots now are geared to be lightweight and comfortable more than heavy load carrying boots.

Now, will a duty boot last a couple of years of 10-day hunts? Sure thing if you don’t wear them otherwise.

Boots are very individual. I like Schnees, my buddies Kenetrek and White.

If I prioritized elk hunting money I would get boots before glass, only because you can get some pretty darn good glass for decent money now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For all the Elk hunting (mountainous) conditions I have encountered, Danner Sierras have served me well. 200 grams Thinsulate, Goretex and can be resoled.

A word of caution if you have a high instep, you may have difficulty putting them on which a couple of my hunting buddies found.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/danner-sierra-gtx-boot_10321930#productSummary

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I've settled on one of the following 2. Mostly because I trust the Danner and Thorogood name and they are both made in the USA. I currently have a pair of Thorogood Slip ons and Thorogood 6" lace ups that are both my favorite boots to wear. There is a 20% off Danner boot sale going on right now

https://www.workbootsusa.com/dagr8b...qqYr_5wIVtSCtBh2bKQZcEAYYBCABEgIiYvD_BwE

https://www.workbootsusa.com/thorogood-814-4141.html

What are you guys' thoughts?

A lot of the styles you guys mentioned are nowhere near here to try on and don't come in wide sizes.

Last edited by SEMOmike; 03/03/20. Reason: forgot something
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Boots/shoes are a personal thing, but I wouldn’t want to do many miles in either.

I get along a lot better with a hiking boot vs a “hunting boot”.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Makes sense. Elk hunting usually involves way more hiking than hunting.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i always wear 2 pairs of socks and high top leather hiking boots and if new i break them in in the summer. also if possible i use a electric boot dryer every night when i can.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Try several pairs on. You will probably find different sizes are needed in different brands. With varies too. Dont buy too short but a wee bit narrow initially is OK. Try them on with the weight socks you will be wearing and after exercise when your feet are swelled.
Order several pairs from places with a good return policy or visit a place like REI etc where you can try multiple brands.

Unless you are 22 years old or less, substandard footwear in tough country is not a good idea, not good at all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite boots were Ozark trail insulated, I would buy them in the spring closeout for about 12 bucks a pair.Walmart would carry them.

Of course they quit making them. When archery hunting remember stiff high quality boots are noisy. Unless you be shooting over 80 yards remember noise. A lot of archers I know take their boots off and finish the deal with moccasins or socks.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/03/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I stumbled into a pretty good deal on a pair of Kennetreks today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by SEMOmike
I've settled on one of the following 2. Mostly because I trust the Danner and Thorogood name and they are both made in the USA. I currently have a pair of Thorogood Slip ons and Thorogood 6" lace ups that are both my favorite boots to wear. There is a 20% off Danner boot sale going on right now

https://www.workbootsusa.com/dagr8b...qqYr_5wIVtSCtBh2bKQZcEAYYBCABEgIiYvD_BwE

https://www.workbootsusa.com/thorogood-814-4141.html

What are you guys' thoughts?

A lot of the styles you guys mentioned are nowhere near here to try on and don't come in wide sizes.

I wouldn’t make fun of you in camp for either boot. Boots are very individual and you only have yourself to please.

It sounds to me like you like the Thorogoods. I’ve never worn them personally. Good luck!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by SLM
What he said.

Try on a bunch of brands. Took me a while to find the right boots. Don’t overlook insoles like Superfeet and good socks.

Skip the advice on multiple levels of insulated boots for a pack in bow elk hunt.

Originally Posted by Ralphie
Feet are different. But spend the money to get the best boots you can for your feet. I like the Kenetreks, alot. But they don't work for everybody. I would not hunt in either of those boots you listed. Get great boots and skimp on other stuff if you have to. You do not need thousands of sitka or kuiu either. I guide and hunt in Wyoming and spend lots on boots and then look for deals on everything else. STP, camofire, wrangler outdoor pants, Prana, spring sales on warm stuff. And look at other companies besides hunting brands.

Totally agree 400-800 gram insulated boots would be the last the last thing I would ever use on an early season archery hunt...............

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I bird, elk, deer hunt late season with non insulated treated boots, two pair of good wool socks and gaiters.

If stand hunting for deer of course want heavily insulated boots

Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by SLM
What he said.

Try on a bunch of brands. Took me a while to find the right boots. Don’t overlook insoles like Superfeet and good socks.

Skip the advice on multiple levels of insulated boots for a pack in bow elk hunt.

Originally Posted by Ralphie
Feet are different. But spend the money to get the best boots you can for your feet. I like the Kenetreks, alot. But they don't work for everybody. I would not hunt in either of those boots you listed. Get great boots and skimp on other stuff if you have to. You do not need thousands of sitka or kuiu either. I guide and hunt in Wyoming and spend lots on boots and then look for deals on everything else. STP, camofire, wrangler outdoor pants, Prana, spring sales on warm stuff. And look at other companies besides hunting brands.

Totally agree 400-800 gram insulated boots would be the last the last thing I would ever use on an early season archery hunt...............

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 260Remguy, 44 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.