Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ap75
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
If all old gun finishes looked unique and based on storage, care, and handling, and different from a freshly finished oil stock you might have an argument.

All old finishes look fairly similar despite storage, care, and handling. And despite arguing for both sides your prime contention fails.

Dunning-kruger is real.

If you start making any sense this conversation may fade away lol. The stocks do look different from a freshly oiled stock if no stain is used. The fact that most of them have the same finish color is proof they were finished the same. If a stock from 1900 looks the same as a stock from 1940 what does that tell you? If age is making them darker wouldn’t the extra 40 years make the older stock different? If a stock that was sent back to the original builder every few years for refinish and some were drug around India and Africa for decades and the finish is the same color what does that tell you? In your mind you believe air and time have somehow conspired to make the finishes the same color? How do you explain the light colored wood were the finish is worn off if nothing but oil was used no stain just oil?
Most importantly this is not an opinion the light colored genuine Mauser model B stock in the photo above is mine it is in my gunsafe as I type this. The finish on that stock, what was left , looked identical to the other picture. Do you really believe in your tiny mind that you can make that stock look like the other picture without stain? Here’s your chance to prove me wrong, or go back to reading your word of the day calendar lol. What will make that stock turn that dark brown without stain? Air and a hundred years ain’t gonna do it.
I already see logic has no place in this discussion. It is possible that the polyurethane or whatever you have been sniffing has started to cause problems? Your saying rich people owned these rifles so when did the finish get away from them and turn dark brown? If only rich people owned these rifles and the original builder did the maintenance wouldn’t the finish be close to original? The rich vs poor owners really doesn’t matter it only proves lack of knowledge of vintage firearms and there owners. I’ve owned several originals and some were in rough shape I guarantee no super rich person would let there personal rifle get that rough, yet the color was the same.
Did a minwax stain salesman touch you in a “bad” way or something ? Stocks were stained.... my stock will be stained, Rigby,H&H they all used stain let what happened to you go. You cannot change the past.
Also I think your word of the day calendar is stuck on the same word as yesterday “dunning-Kruger” I have another one for you instead “Consanguinity” I think you are familiar with the term.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Reading comprehension is a gift. You attempted to put several different words and claims in my mouth. I did not say the vast majority of your claims. My comments have been short, clearly written and accurate.

Now, being an ass as Dp1975 did not work for you, but changing your handle is not going to fix your problem.

A Dunning-Kruger DX looks more likely every time you post.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you use one of the Laurel Mountain stains I mentioned over your grain filling finish, you can remove all of it or a portion of it if you don't like the result with alcohol. I don't know about the rest of this conversation, it gave me a headache.
Phil

A
Ap75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
So that’s a no on your ability to turn the Mauser stock the same color as an original without stain, lol

“Consanguinity”
You said UV light will naturally turn the stock brown, your wrong. You posted about the stock finish, age and care. The post was for the both of you I’m not quoting separate posts to say the same thing. Read my post out loud to each other and pick out the parts you think apply to you. Bottom line neither of you can, or ever would be able to make the stock in the picture look the same as the original WITH OUT stain period. You could not and cannot understand or answer the original question of the thread. You have used this thread to try and work thru the trauma you suffered at the hands of the stain salesman. This is not the place to work on your stain phobia.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 62 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,118
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.