Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Whats your go to for an elk bullet and weight in a 308 win?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
165 Sierra SBT,

45.5 grs Varget,

GM210M

Lapua brass

at 2810 fps

Model 700 with Hart barrel.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
No elk, but an interesting bullet. I wrote a review. CEB Raptor acts like a Partition, except it's a mono.

Expensive, but how many do we actually shoot at game. Work up a load, practice with cheaper bullets.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/308-135gr-er-extended-range-raptor

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My old hunting Pard has tried several in his 1970 Browning BLR, he settled on the 150 Corlokt. From antelope to Bison out here! I 've used the 150 Corlokt on a small Texas deer just fine, but a handloaded 165 NBT on an Axis buck. My BIL in E. TX uses nothing but the 150 SGK on deer/hogs. I would be tempted to try the 130 TTSX in a 308 nowadays, "maybe" 150 TTSX on elk.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up 2 boxes of 165 nbt but am thinking a mono. My primary concern with a mono is enough velocity, especially in bullets weighing over 150 grains.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In my post above I failed to note I did kill elk with my load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
168gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like the 165 or 180.

The Hornady FTX 160 in my 300 savage has killed more elk than my 308 however. I been using mostly 165 in my recent loading endevours of the .308.

165 grain NP 45.5 BLC2 cci 250

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by baldhunter

You are killing elk with Ballistic Tips?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Any 165 over 46.0 Varget. I've used Accubonds, Speer Hotcores, Hornady Interlocks. My rifle is currently loaded with 165 Sierra Gamekings.

My favorites would a 165 Partition, Accubond, or Ballistic Tip, in that order.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, the 165 Partition is a dandy bullet in my 308 as well.
For next year, I'm going to start working with Sierra 165 GameChangers. Must be the Loony in me coming out.

There are no bugs on any of my .308 loads. Most shoot pretty well.

I hope everyone is having a good day.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reba
You are killing elk with Ballistic Tips?

The 165/168 Ballistic Tip is a lot tougher than the 165 Sierra BT you’re using...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
150 TTSX BT and H4895. Very accurate in my NULA .308 and works well on elk. Same for the 168 TSX BT and H4895.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

For next year, Sierra 165 GameChangers.

That looks like a great bullet, as does the Federal 165 Trophy Bonded Tip.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H 4895 and 165 Ballistic tips killed elk for me in a BLR 308. Range was 60 yards.

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/04/20.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back in the day when the only centerfire rifle I owned was a .308 Win (which I still have), I killed deer and elk with 165gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws and Speer Grand Slams; all factory loads. Never lost a critter and most expired in place. I think those loads were about 2,700 fps. I'm sure the Trophy Bonded Tip or Speer Hot Cor of today would perform just as well. All I have currently loaded is 140 gr Barnes MPG frangible bullets for varmints and such. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys. May stick with 165 bt or go to accubond.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
180gr partitions. Killed several elk with my 308. Never a problem. Have used the same bullet in 30'06 for 40 years, same result. Lots of great elk bullets out there, but for me, nothing beats the partitions. Ymmv

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nosler partition in either 165 or 180 grain weight.
Like hotsoup above, I can't say these are the only ones, but I can say they worked perfectly for me every time I've used them so I see little reason to change. Perfect performance can't be improved on very much.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like 150 grain bullets in the .308 Win. Partitions or a monometal for elk. I used 165's on a couple of elk and didn't see any difference.

Cup and core for everything else. Hornady flat bases and Winchester 150 gr Power Points when available),

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 03/05/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As far as the the Nosler B/T, I use the 165 grain in my 309-JDJ This TC shoots great, TC has a 14" Shilen barrel.
I've used it on two deer.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by baldhunter

That's a load I'll have to try. 2800 fps/168 gr. out of a 308 is smoking.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
155 Lapua Scenar...

Public landowner...
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have worst luck with bullets, i tell ya. Tried a 180 grain partition on a hog hunt out of an 3006. Shot a 150 lb. hog at 30 yards or so. The partition failed to pass through hog. It dropped on spot but was squealing. I walked up snd placed another bullet behind shoulder which failed to penetrate completely. I stopped using them after that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Dancing Bear, it's Interesting you should mention the 150 grain Winchester Power Point.

Many year ago when I was shooting a lot of 30-06 and 308 in M-1 Garand, M-14 and FALs I bought (if memory is correct)16,000 of them from Black Hills. I found them to shoot to the calibrations of the issue sights and they were about 2X and in some guns 3X more accurate then most FMJ Ball ammo. I did kill a few deer with them, but mostly I simply loaded ammo for my match and fun shooting for all my 30 cal military rifles. I am almost out of them now.
But 5 years ago I was with my wife and a few of our friends on an elk hunt and I had thrown in my Mossberg MVP rifle as an "extra' so we'd have one more gun in camp. As it turned out we got into an area where the elk were not moving and in our hunting we'd seen them over on the far horizons from our position, so we all decided to move the camp over about 5 miles, but you had to "go around" to get to the place we wanted to set up the new camp so we threw all the stuff into out 3 trucks and drove around the mountains to get over on the other side. We all had gun cases for our main rifles and for a stupid and non-thinking reason, we put them into the trucks first and laid all the camp gear over the folded tents and drove over. We thought we'd be there in less then an hour. The MVP with it's long magazine didn't firt a case and has a plywood stock, so I never bother to case it and it ended up on the top of the pile, last thing thrown in before we left to relocate the camp.
Well guess what......... We get about half way there and jump out a heard of elk about 75 in number and all the rifles except the MVP are buried on the bottom of the pile. The MVP uses the same magazines as an M14 and those old M14 mags were all loaded with my ammo from the old days with 150 grain Win P.Ps. So I and my wife jump out of the rig and get after them. I drop my 2 cows and hand the rifle off to her, she kills her remaining cow for that year, and we give the rifle to our friends who go after the elk and cut them off about 1/2 mile up and they kill their elk (20 rounds in that mag was a blessing that time because all the extra ammo was also on the bottom of the pile in the 4Runner)
We filled every elk tag we had in about 5 minutes.

As a rule, in my experience 150 grain lead core 30-06s, 300 mags and 308s do not exit elk. Well most of the WW points did. I butchered all those elk myself and I recovered only 2 bullets. I have them on my mantel piece right now. One weighs 131 grains and one weight 129 grains, and BOTH of those 2 bullet broke large bone which is why I assume they didn't exit. The total of hits on those 5 elk were 9 rounds and of the 9, 7 went clear through and exited. WAY better performance then I expected from a 150 grain lead core bullet on elk. And with recovered weights of 131 and 129 grains, I have to say the performance of those 2 bullets was the full equal of any Partition I ever used. Not bad for bullet that cost me only about 6 cents each in the days I bought them.

I started hunting elk with my Dad before it was even legal when I was 9 or 10, and I have killed a lot of them and I have seen about 5X more killed by other hunters than I have killed myself. I have seen a lot shot with 30-06s and quite a few with 308s and 300 mags. Yet for body shots with 150 grain leadcore 30 cal bullets I don't think I have EVER seen a Remington Corelokt, a Sierra, a Federal Power Shock, a Hornady or a Speer bullet exit an elk, but 7 of the 9 WW Power Points did. Up until that hunt I just assumed the PP bullets were about the same as everyone else's 150s. Of the 9 shots fired some were not perfectly placed, yet the penetration was so good that they still got through and hit vitals and left exits.

So I can't say this is definitive information, but it certainly was enough to get me to have a far higher degree of respect for the old plain vanilla 150 grain Power Point bullets made by Winchester.

Last edited by szihn; 03/05/20.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Great account of events szihn . For myself it seems the 165 gr bullets seem to be a great fit in both the ‘08 & ‘06 . Like my usual preference I like bonded bullets on elk sized game.

Last edited by AbeJohnsen; 03/05/20.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
M
M
150gr Partitions have been the proverbial huckleberry in our family’s .308 Savage 99F. Great combination for us

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
155 Scenar - Lapua

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Regarding the 150 grain Power Point bullets on elk. Of the few elk I have killed only one never took a step. I used a .308 Win/150 grain PP on it and it exited. Hit the top of the heart. A shot that doesn't usually drop them that fast.

A young fellow I am teaching to hunt got a .300 Savage from a grandpa. He has a 7mm Rem mag too. Even so he wanted to take a deer with the .300 s. I found him 5 boxes of the 150 gr PP load. He will be well equipped.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Awesomeness in this thread so far! I love it !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by szihn
Dancing Bear, it's Interesting you should mention the 150 grain Winchester Power Point.

Many year ago when I was shooting a lot of 30-06 and 308 in M-1 Garand, M-14 and FALs I bought (if memory is correct)16,000 of them from Black Hills. I found them to shoot to the calibrations of the issue sights and they were about 2X and in some guns 3X more accurate then most FMJ Ball ammo. I did kill a few deer with them, but mostly I simply loaded ammo for my match and fun shooting for all my 30 cal military rifles. I am almost out of them now.
But 5 years ago I was with my wife and a few of our friends on an elk hunt and I had thrown in my Mossberg MVP rifle as an "extra' so we'd have one more gun in camp. As it turned out we got into an area where the elk were not moving and in our hunting we'd seen them over on the far horizons from our position, so we all decided to move the camp over about 5 miles, but you had to "go around" to get to the place we wanted to set up the new camp so we threw all the stuff into out 3 trucks and drove around the mountains to get over on the other side. We all had gun cases for our main rifles and for a stupid and non-thinking reason, we put them into the trucks first and laid all the camp gear over the folded tents and drove over. We thought we'd be there in less then an hour. The MVP with it's long magazine didn't firt a case and has a plywood stock, so I never bother to case it and it ended up on the top of the pile, last thing thrown in before we left to relocate the camp.
Well guess what......... We get about half way there and jump out a heard of elk about 75 in number and all the rifles except the MVP are buried on the bottom of the pile. The MVP uses the same magazines as an M14 and those old M14 mags were all loaded with my ammo from the old days with 150 grain Win P.Ps. So I and my wife jump out of the rig and get after them. I drop my 2 cows and hand the rifle off to her, she kills her remaining cow for that year, and we give the rifle to our friends who go after the elk and cut them off about 1/2 mile up and they kill their elk (20 rounds in that mag was a blessing that time because all the extra ammo was also on the bottom of the pile in the 4Runner)

As a rule, in my experience 150 grain lead core 30-06s, 300 mags and 308s do not exit elk. Well most of the WW points did. I butchered all those elk myself and I recovered only 2 bullets. I have them on my mantel piece right now. One weighs 131 grains and one weight 129 grains, and BOTH of those 2 bullet broke large bone which is why I assume they didn't exit. The total of hits on those 5 elk were 9 rounds and of the 9, 7 went clear through and exited. WAY better performance then I expected from a 150 grain lead core bullet on elk. And with recovered weights of 131 and 129 grains, I have to say the performance of those 2 bullets was the full equal of any Partition I ever used. Not bad for bullet that cost me only about 6 cents each in the days I bought them.

I started hunting elk with my Dad before it was even legal when I was 9 or 10, and I have killed a lot of them and I have seen about 5X more killed by other hunters than I have killed myself. I have seen a lot shot with 30-06s and quite a few with 308s and 300 mags. Yet for body shots with 150 grain leadcore 30 cal bullets I don't think I have EVER seen a Remington Corelokt, a Sierra, a Federal Power Shock, a Hornady or a Speer bullet exit an elk, but 7 of the 9 WW Power Points did. Up until that hunt I just assumed the PP bullets were about the same as everyone else's 150s. Of the 9 shots fired some were not perfectly placed, yet the penetration was so good that they still got through and hit vitals and left exits.

So I can't say this is definitive information, but it certainly was enough to get me to have a far higher degree of respect for the old plain vanilla 150 grain Power Point bullets made by Winchester.

Must be your review on Midway.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I use the 120gr 6.5 Barnes or Hammer mono to take elk cleanly. One of my hunting buddies uses a 308 with the Barnes 130gr mono at about 3100 fps. We both take our elk each season with no problem. These bullets always exit. Bullet technology changes. Any reasonable bullet properly placed works.

Last edited by Hesp; 03/06/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i use 150gr Partition Golds.Have yet to recover a single one.

George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

For next year, Sierra 165 GameChangers.

That looks like a great bullet, as does the Federal 165 Trophy Bonded Tip.

I've been doing load development with these in my 308. I really like the concept of this bullet. My 280 really likes the 160 gr version and will be stuffed with them for a while (bought 500.....).

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
180g Norma Oryx.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For next year, I'm going to start working with Sierra 165 GameChangers. Must be the Loony in me coming out.

We don't get very many elk down here in south Georgia :), but the Gamechanger has held up very well on large hogs, all purposely shot on the shoulder.. Very accurate bullet and it certainly passes muster down here. The Partition still remains just about perfect in my opinion

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
165 Nos AB here.

1 bull at ~20 yards, 1 black bear at 200 yards.

both double lunged.

I use 165BT's for deer + hogs. 165 AB's for elk. both hit same POI in my rifle with same powder, primer, brass combo's.

lots of good bullets available for the 308, but this is what shoots best in my rifle.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
My old hunting Pard has tried several in his 1970 Browning BLR, he settled on the 150 Corlokt. From antelope to Bison out here! I 've used the 150 Corlokt on a small Texas deer just fine, but a handloaded 165 NBT on an Axis buck. My BIL in E. TX uses nothing but the 150 SGK on deer/hogs. I would be tempted to try the 130 TTSX in a 308 nowadays, "maybe" 150 TTSX on elk.

SGK is a great deer-hog bullet.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just picked up a box of 165 Hornady GMX and will do some load development. No accubonds or ttsx in 165 were on shelf

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Esox357
Just picked up a box of 165 Hornady GMX and will do some load development. No accubonds or ttsx in 165 were on shelf

Personally, I wouldn't use a mono over 150 gr's in the 308.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Personally, I wouldn't use a mono over 150 gr's in the 308.

100% agree. You will see faster kills with a maximum 150 grain mono in a 308 in my experience.
R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I never took a 308 elk hunting, but if I did, I would either load up a stout 165-168 grain bullet or a 150 grain TTSX. My "beater" Savage Axis 308 shoots 175 grain Barnes LRX bullets very well at 2,600 fps. At an ounce over 7 lbs. it would make a good mountain rifle, and is 1-1-/2 lbs. lighter than the 30-06 I lugged around the Colorado mountains in 2018. Here in the Northeast, 180 grain round nose bullets get the nod for our shots at 100 yards or so.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Now you tell me 😃

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I wouldn’t worry as long as your shots stay under the 350 yrd range. I’ve found the GMX are usually pretty accurate in rifles I’ve loaded them in and the open up well down to 1650-1700fps. I would load up some and see how they shoot in your rifle if moa or better , use them.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my vast experience, one elk with a .308 and one with a7mm mag, the Nosler partition has worked well for me. The 180 gr. in the .308 dropped on the spot, then rolled down hill a couple hundred yards, and the 160 gr. in the 7mm ran about 100 yards with a double lung hit. To be fair, bot shots were at 150 yards or less. I'll probably not switch.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
duckcall,

Out of curiosity, where did you hit each of those elk?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After over thinking every possible 308 load I've settled on the 155 scenar with MR 2000. Or Varget. Tons of bullets and loads that work well. Killed two elk with the Scenar and performance was a Better Berger.
165 Federal TTB would be a close second, they shoot into tiny knots. Same powders.
Hard to go wrong with a 308 and any 150-180 gr bullets that shoot well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not much magic pixie dust is needed in a .308 Winchester.

Texas
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Spartacus
Not much magic pixie dust is needed in a .308 Winchester.

Sure got that right. The 308 was my first big game cartridge as a fledgling teenage hunter. As Bob Dylan said, “I was so much younger then, I’m older than that now.” Still adore the 308 after 42 years.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys.

Have a super accurate load with 155 scenar just havent tested on animals.

Want to try 165 ab as well but will try gmx 1st. Most of my shots should be 300 yards or less with a rare shot over it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mule Deer,
The 308 was quartering away and went in behind the last rib and out through the off shoulder. The second was broadside, behind the shoulders. It broke a rib on the way out, but between ribs on the entrance. I think that it helped that neither was alarmed before the shot. In case you meant where, the 308 in Wyoming and the 7mm in Montana.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by duckcall
Mule Deer,
In case you meant where, the 308 in Wyoming and the 7mm in Montana.

🤪🤪🤪

That’s funny right there.

Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Any 165 over 46.0 Varget. I've used Accubonds, Speer Hotcores, Hornady Interlocks. My rifle is currently loaded with 165 Sierra Gamekings.

My favorites would a 165 Partition, Accubond, or Ballistic Tip, in that order.
there you go. do this .

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Try the sierra 165 hpbt.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Never used sierra much slways thought they were a soft bullet? I might be misinformed though.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never used sierra much slways thought they were a soft bullet? I might be misinformed though.

The Sierra GameKing's are relatively "soft", but 308 velocities are easy on bullets. They shoot great in my 308, and I'm completely unconcerned about their performance on elk.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Brad. I ll give em a shot!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
150, 165 or 180 Nosler Partition, they all work.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
165g Sierra HPBT, Game king

150g Hornady flat base spt

165g Hornady interlock

150g Partition

All are excellent on deer.

Elk, 165 or 180g Partitions, 180g Hornady Interlock

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately im not impressed with my experience with 180 partitions.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Meaning what? Please quantify this statement.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Prepare yourself for execution via a dull butter knife...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI

LOL.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

LOL.

grin

Hunting WT's, hogs and such, try lighter NPT's and push them faster.

I just loaded 150 NPT's over a max dose of H-4895 for a hunting bud. That powder is great in the '06, as are a bunch of others, including BG.

130 gr. Honrady SP (not the varmint version) is a great WT bullet at 3K+ fps for our local WT's. Good exits, blood flow and impressive internal destruction, mostly DRT's.

So, unless I'm hunting bigger stuff, I prefer light and fast.

DF

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
165/168 Ballistic Tips will get it done near and far.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Midway Seconds are usually the best priced bullets, usually beat SPS prices.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020756911?pid=166606

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
For many years I loaded 150 grain Ballistic Tips for several friends' 308s. The dead deer never complained about lack of killing power. I personally used 180 grain Hornady spire points back in the late 1970s and early 1980s in my Remington Model 742 308. No complaints from those dead deer, either.

These days, I'm shooting 180 grain Sierras - both round nose and spitzers - in a cheap Savage Axis rifle now, along with Barnes 175 grain LRX bullets. All three shoot great. I will take the 180 grain round nose ammo to the Catskills next November. If I just had to take that "beater" Savage to Colorado, I would use the LRX load.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by szihn

As a rule, in my experience 150 grain lead core 30-06s, 300 mags and 308s do not exit elk. Well most of the WW points did. I butchered all those elk myself and I recovered only 2 bullets. I have them on my mantel piece right now. One weighs 131 grains and one weight 129 grains, and BOTH of those 2 bullet broke large bone which is why I assume they didn't exit. The total of hits on those 5 elk were 9 rounds and of the 9, 7 went clear through and exited. WAY better performance then I expected from a 150 grain lead core bullet on elk. And with recovered weights of 131 and 129 grains, I have to say the performance of those 2 bullets was the full equal of any Partition I ever used. Not bad for bullet that cost me only about 6 cents each in theers than I have killed myself. I have seen a lot shot with 30-06s and quite a few with 308s and 300 mags. Yet for body shots with 150 grain leadcore 30 cal bullets I don't think I have EVER seen a Remington Corelokt, a Sierra, a Federal Power Shock, a Hornady or a Speer bullet exit an elk, but 7 of the 9 WW Power Points did. Up until that hunt I just assumed the PP bullets were about the same as everyone else's 150s. Of the 9 shots fired some were not perfectly placed, yet the penetration was so good that they still got through and hit vitals and left exits.

I've heard a couple of stories like that and have heard other people say what a good bullet for the money a PP was. I've killed a few whitetail with them and never gave it much thought. Sometimes the most mundane simple designs just get it right.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Esox357: Go with the wonderful 165 grain Nosler Partition!
Period.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
i use 150gr Partition Golds.Have yet to recover a single one.

George

How many do you have left?

I was so sold on that bullet in its Moly coated form. I had worked up loads in my 280 JDJ & had taken a couple of big Axis with it. I was impressed & then depressed when they took it off the market.

Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We don't get very many elk down here in south Georgia :), but the Gamechanger has held up very well on large hogs, all purposely shot on the shoulder.. Very accurate bullet and it certainly passes muster down here. The Partition still remains just about perfect in my opinion

Thanks Jorge
I just ordered some more bullets from Powder Valley.
They were Gamechangers. PV had them on sale. .308 165 grain.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 03/18/20.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teeder

Meaning what? Please quantify this statement.

Meaning the lack of penetration in a 180 lb boar from a 3006 and couldnt get a pass through on 2 pigs i shot at distances under 50 yards. I had to shoot it again at point blank and it stilldidnt penetrate. Ive shot 165 bt and 165 btsp and have gotten pass throughs at 200 yards on similar size game. They didnt work for me.

A
AMB Offline
A
If I were to go elk hunting this fall or whenever, I would use my 308win with a Speer 180gr Mag-Tip.
I have no elk experience with any bullet, but that is what I would use. They shoot well in my rifle with a dose of RL15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AMB
If I were to go elk hunting this fall or whenever, I would use my 308win with a Speer 180gr Mag-Tip.
I have no elk experience with any bullet, but that is what I would use. They shoot well in my rifle with a dose of RL15.

Welcome to The Campfire!
I have found RL-15 to work very well.
Wishing you the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used a 165 bear claw on my one 308 elk.

My daughter has killed a cow and two 6 point bulls with 150 fusion federal factory load. All three were dead on the ground inside of 40 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I used a 165 bear claw on my one 308 elk.

My daughter has killed a cow and two 6 point bulls with 150 fusion federal factory load. All three were dead on the ground inside of 40 yards.

Some might complain, didn't have a good blood trail. Dead in 40 yards. Good stuff!

Ralphie
Wishing you and your family the best.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Regardless of the brand, size, type or speed, bullet placement TRUMPS every thing else. Thanks Daniel

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’d be curious to see what powder most on here use for the .308

Low speed, high drag
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I use mostly varget, thinking about trying re 15.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Reloder 15 for some older loads and Ramshot TAC for most new loads.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been very happy with Ramshot TAC powder as well. Meters so well, and yields consistent velocities.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are so many great powders for the 308, it's an embarrassment of riches.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Its great to have options. I always started and ended with varget. One rifle would only shoot H414 well. Im interested in trying TAC.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
TAC is really very good. Varget is my first stop with a new 308, TAC is the second. TAC will definitely give another 25fps+ over Varget too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, Varget is a no-brainer. For my .223 and 375 H&H too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know Brad. Im doing some reloading this week see what i can come up with

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We quickly settled on Varget with 165 Accubonds. Wife hunts everything with it and it’s done well on several elk, mule deer and a bunch of antelope.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I tried Hornady 165 gmx and did ok but not spectacular. Next on my list is the 165 ab or 150 ttsx.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219DW, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,474
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.