Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If David Royal can do it you can too. Get a grip exerciser, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and get plenty of sleep. laugh laugh laugh

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'll take #23 and #250 if still available. I had #22, #23 and #250 on Davids book. But, I started feeling greedy and passed off #250 to Gary, I think?

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very Cool Rory, I'm in for one! If you have any interest in spicing things up with vintage photos contact me, I know a guy.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Rory,

I'm in for for 3. Don't need any numbered stuff.

Thanks for doing this.

Jim

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What form is this going to take? Bound book, pamphlet, cell phone app?

IC B2

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, Gary! I'd love to include old ads and photographs as page fillers. How many I'll be able to squeeze in will depend on how the page count ends up. Got enough for a 800 page book, but that's not exactly something you'd be able to carry around. grin

Mike, I'm looking for this to be a soft cover bound book. After playing with different font sizes and seeing how much detail is visible in pictures - and realizing that much of the gun collector community doesn't have 20 year old eyes, it'll probably be on a slightly larger size paper than a normal paperback.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
When are you going to do the app? Just scan yer lever gun with the phone and a complete pedigree appears! grin

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Calhoun, I’ll take number 300. I meet you at Cabelas in Maine.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
When are you going to do the app? Just scan yer lever gun with the phone and a complete pedigree appears! grin

That app would melt down at Fug's.. twice. Once from quantity, a second time from all the special order non-standard guns! grin

It'd have a psychotic break at my place from all the d&t guns and recoil pads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Rory,

Just got back from Florida and was happy to see you are going to follow through with the book you first mentioned to me at the Pennsylvania fest!
Please reserve a couple of early signed copies for me. And please feel free to call on me for anything I can help with. Any particular reason you are going with the soft cover? I would love to see a hard cover matching Royal and Baileys, or Murrays. I would love to be of assistance to you.
John

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
You guys kill me... hadn't even thought that far ahead. While I type for a living, the thought of signing hundreds of books sounds absolutely horrible. I'll have to hire a professional book signer..

get a stamp

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Signing them is not that tough Rory.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, this somewhat/kind of/not so very secret project has been in the works for a couple of years now and quite a few of you know about it. Figure it's time to let the cat out of the bag to everybody..

Been working on gathering up information to create a Savage 1895/1899/99 reference guide. Been digging through a lot of stuff and starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It will be a softcover book.

Practically all of the information I've gathered has come from here and the folks here, and from catalogs, and from picking the brains of a few folks. Okay.. I picked their brains a LOT and probably will a lot more before I'm done! grin

This book when it comes out is really a book that everybody here, present and past, will have helped to put together.

Primarily, it's aim is to cover all the catalogued models and their variations, as well as uncatalogued varietions if there are a significant number of them. There won't be room for special guns, one-offs, or even very low runs in it unfortunately. I think David will cover some of those in his new book if he can.

I've gathered most of the information, but there's lots of tidbits to pull in. My first draft is done, and I'm starting to reformat it for the printer and starting to gather pictures. And whoa... there are a LOT of 99 variations to cover! crazy

So just wanted to put this out.. I've been kind of lagging the last few months, so hopefully letting folks know will motivate me to get butt in gear.

Hopefully the end result will be of interest..

How is your book going to laid out?

I like the model by model lay out of Doug Murray's book, but would prefer if it had been printed on letter size paper and sold in a 3-ring binder, so that I could add/insert notes and ads and such. I tore one of Murray's books apart and put the pages in clear document protectors so that could insert notes and ads and such.

Be prepared to be nit picked and criticized for not doing a good enough job, 'cause there seem to be more critics than well-wishers out there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kindle version? Nothing like curling up with a good Kindle and a hot toddy in front of the fire.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

A labor of love by both Rory and David. We’re very fortunate.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I like the three ring binder idea for the technologically challenged of us.

LOL
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Some good ideas, and I agree with many of them.

But I want a book that's fairly transportable. I tried out different sizes to see how well it worked with pictures and text, and I didn't think a standard paperback size would be good. So at the moment, I'm leaning towards a 6"x9" or similar page size. Anything above that becomes a desk reference - which is fine, but not what I'm aiming at to start with.

It won't be impossible for me to produce a different size in the future, but there will be a lot of reformatting and layout to do for a different book size. So initially it'll probably be on 6"x9", and then maybe a larger version can come out a year or two later.

No e-books.. at least not for a while. I don't think it's ready for this type of book yet.

Models will be ordered by the year they were introduced. While that puts some models in a weird order, it makes it easy for a non-Savage person to skim through the book looking at serial number ranges to see which model might match his.

"So easy that a Cabela's gun library guy can use it" would be a good motto. grin

And yes, Jeff, I know it'll be nitpicked and my decisions on some things will be attacked left and right (1921, anybody?). I'm definitely open to corrections, but some things we'll just always have to agree to disagree with.

Oh - and it should be possible to print corrected/updated editions every couple of years. Because we never stop learning..

PS: Actually... it might be possible to offer it in both hardback and softback with 6"x9" pages at the beginning. Don't have to reformat for the same size pages. I'll check into that.. no promises. It'd be a bit bigger than Carr's pistol book.

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/06/20.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 300Savage303

Sure, I remember running into you there. Stopped by Cabela's in the evening and nothing interesting, but was told a "guy" was bringing in a couple in the morning. I show up and meet another campfire member! Small world! Fun chatting with you and your wife, mine was shaking her head over the fact that we went 1600 miles and were still running into Savage loonies that know each other! grin

Glad you figured out your password.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6x9 is a good size for a fairly portable reference book.
Could leave 4-5 blank pages in the back of the book for notes. ??

Timing is about right too. Sounds like the last of Murray's books will run out soon.
An updated replacement will fill the niche.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 300Savage303

Sure, I remember running into you there. Stopped by Cabela's in the evening and nothing interesting, but was told a "guy" was bringing in a couple in the morning. I show up and meet another campfire member! Small world! Fun chatting with you and your wife, mine was shaking her head over the fact that we went 1600 miles and were still running into Savage loonies that know each other! grin

Glad you figured out your password.

That's not so amazing. There are only so many of us Savage guys, and we are all here, so, of course we know each other!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (12savage, 264mag, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 38 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,500
Posts18,490,477
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.