Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nyrifleman,,
I'm just surprised they still teach "Government" (we called it Civics) in school, any school that is.

Thanks you for introducing some of today's children to things I was taught, likely by nuns before I got out of eighth grade.

Please keep us informed of the outcome of your "experiment"

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
By asking them to interpret the following quotes.

Do I have it covered?

The Founding Fathers and the 2nd Amendment

“If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

“[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, January 10, 1788

“Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.” – James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“…the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone…” – James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“For it is a truth, which the experience of ages has attested, that the people are always most in danger when the means of injuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 25, December 21, 1787

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Also, don't leave out the fact that it is a natural right, not merely a prescriptive (Constitutional right) because prescriptive rights can be taken away but natural rights cannot (lawfully) be taken from any person. Humans do not naturally have defensive weapons (teeth and claws) but they do have intelligence and with that intelligence comes the capacity for the creation of the means of self-defense. Because these creations are the result of the application of human intelligence, they are as natural as if they were teeth or claws. The ownership and possession of the means of self-defense then, including firearms, is a natural right because above all else, people have the right to defend themselves and their loved ones. However, that right is meaningless without the means to implement it.
Well then if all of that is true and I think it is, then a man who has at some point committed a crime and served his sentence, also has the natural right to defend himself and his family.

I think there is authority for the proposition that although the right is natural and thus inalienable, the right can be forfeited by the demonstrated failure to abide the norms of civilized behavior. That said, I think that taking away the right to keep and bear arms for non-violent felonious conduct is flat wrong. Also, there are many instances of folks convicted of violent conduct who nevertheless are not intrinsically, or even by virtue of their conviction for a violent crime, the kind of people who should be denied the right to own and possess a firearm. On the other hand, there are also many who've been convicted of violent felonies who are the last people any of us would want to have a gun.
If they are too dangerous to be armed they should not be released from prison. The dangerous/violent ones will arm themselves whether it's legal or not. If they've been released they have the natural right to defend their lives and the lives of their loved ones period. You can't argue for natural right and have it both ways. A former felons wife and children have done nothing to deserve to be left defenseless.

The wife and child still retain their own right of self-defense. Can't keep people in prison interminably for a non-capital crime. Rights can be "natural" and still be forfeited. I have a natural right "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" yet those rights (my life and liberty) can be taken from me if I murder another human being with premeditation and deliberation.

Tarquin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously, guys, stripping someone of their ability to defend their life is something that should only be approached with utmost soberness. But because there is no accounting for the heart of man, it is subject to judgment.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
By asking them to interpret the following quotes.

Do I have it covered?

The Founding Fathers and the 2nd Amendment

“If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government, and which against the usurpations of the national rulers, may be exerted with infinitely better prospect of success than against those of the rulers of an individual state. In a single state, if the persons intrusted with supreme power become usurpers, the different parcels, subdivisions, or districts of which it consists, having no distinct government in each, can take no regular measures for defense. The citizens must rush tumultuously to arms, without concert, without system, without resource; except in their courage and despair.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28

“[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 28, January 10, 1788

“Besides the advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation, the existence of subordinate governments, to which the people are attached, and by which the militia officers are appointed, forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of.” – James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“…the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone…” – James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“For it is a truth, which the experience of ages has attested, that the people are always most in danger when the means of injuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.” – Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 25, December 21, 1787

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Also, don't leave out the fact that it is a natural right, not merely a prescriptive (Constitutional right) because prescriptive rights can be taken away but natural rights cannot (lawfully) be taken from any person. Humans do not naturally have defensive weapons (teeth and claws) but they do have intelligence and with that intelligence comes the capacity for the creation of the means of self-defense. Because these creations are the result of the application of human intelligence, they are as natural as if they were teeth or claws. The ownership and possession of the means of self-defense then, including firearms, is a natural right because above all else, people have the right to defend themselves and their loved ones. However, that right is meaningless without the means to implement it.
Well then if all of that is true and I think it is, then a man who has at some point committed a crime and served his sentence, also has the natural right to defend himself and his family.

I think there is authority for the proposition that although the right is natural and thus inalienable, the right can be forfeited by the demonstrated failure to abide the norms of civilized behavior. That said, I think that taking away the right to keep and bear arms for non-violent felonious conduct is flat wrong. Also, there are many instances of folks convicted of violent conduct who nevertheless are not intrinsically, or even by virtue of their conviction for a violent crime, the kind of people who should be denied the right to own and possess a firearm. On the other hand, there are also many who've been convicted of violent felonies who are the last people any of us would want to have a gun.
If they are too dangerous to be armed they should not be released from prison. The dangerous/violent ones will arm themselves whether it's legal or not. If they've been released they have the natural right to defend their lives and the lives of their loved ones period. You can't argue for natural right and have it both ways. A former felons wife and children have done nothing to deserve to be left defenseless.

The wife and child still retain their own right of self-defense. Can't keep people in prison interminably for a non-capital crime. Rights can be "natural" and still be forfeited. I have a natural right "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" yet those rights (my life and liberty) can be taken from me if I murder another human being with premeditation and deliberation.
The wife/children cannot legally be armed if they live in the same house as a convicted felon. A "natural right" is not and cannot be forfeit to man made laws. Like I said, you simply cannot argue that something is a "natural right" {above the law of men/governments} and argue out the other side of your face that it is forfeit/subject to mans laws.. Period.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I must confess to a bit of schadenfreude when teaching the 2A.

I am surrounded by Libs.

Thank you for fighting the good fight. Where do you point students who ask where a militia is defined?

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Obviously, guys, stripping someone of their ability to defend their life is something that should only be approached with utmost soberness. But because there is no accounting for the heart of man, it is subject to judgment.

Very true.

Tarquin
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I must confess to a bit of schadenfreude when teaching the 2A.

I am surrounded by Libs.

Thank you for fighting the good fight. Where do you point students who ask where a militia is defined?

Paul, we have already had a conversation of a militia vs. a standing army.

I direct them to the US Constitution Center.

"What is a militia? At the time of the American Revolutionary War, militias were groups of able-bodied men who protected their towns, colonies, and eventually states."

They will also struggle with the meaning of "well-regulated."

I typically ask them if the amendment says that only militias are allowed to bear arms.

We have also have had extensive conversations on what constitutes "The People"

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Tyrone, Tarquin. this will be the basis of our discussion concerning the common good vs. individual rights where red flag laws are concerned.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It might be cool if you would dress like one of the founding fathers. maybe a minuteman, with musket.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

What definition of “well-regulated” do you teach?

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It SHOULD be self regulated.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

What definition of “well-regulated” do you teach?

P

From Constitution.org

The phrase "well-regulated" was in common use long before 1789, and remained so for a century thereafter. It referred to the property of something being in proper working order. Something that was well-regulated was calibrated correctly, functioning as expected. Establishing government oversight of the people's arms was not only not the intent in using the phrase in the 2nd amendment, it was precisely to render the government powerless to do so that the founders wrote it.

On other words, well trained or practiced.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
From another conservative history teacher to another. Keep teaching until they pry the keys from your cold, dead hands. There are not many of us left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Add...

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms each man against his own bosom. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American." Tench Coxe

George Mason: "I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials.”

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
I shall include Mason, excellent suggestion.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by kaboku68
From another conservative history teacher to another. Keep teaching until they pry the keys from your cold, dead hands. There are not many of us left.

Indeed.

I found over the years I don't need to try to influence their political views. As a matter of fact they have no idea of my political views as I do not reveal them to the class. Like others on this thread I will take a contrary point at times just to begin a conversation or debate. I just need to teach them to think. Once they do, the rest falls naturally into place.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Great job, rifleman. My civics teacher in the mid '70s was of the opposite mind, and tried to indoctrinate us to the leftist mindset. That was in Prescott, AZ; he didn't have good days when he tried that; nearly the whole class was vociferously against him. He wasn't doing it just to promote discussion, either; he was known, even among other teachers, as the most radical left teacher at the school.

Dale

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Here are the Cliff Notes for your lesson I wrote a few years back. It has a typo in it, “there” should’ve been “their”. It was late when I wrote it, and posted.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...econd-amendment-broken-down#Post12150689

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Also note that in EVERY amendment where the founders were addressing an INDIVIDUAL right, they used the phrase “the people” just as it is in the second amendment.

All the rough drafts, etc. were addressing individual possession of arms.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing that is vital is to look at the dates of the adoption of the main Constitution. Articles 1-7 (1789) and then the date of the adoption of the Bill of Right" (1791)
The Bill of Right is 10 AMENDMENTS.............. and therefore something HAD TO BE AMENDED!

That "something" is the so-called Supremicy clause and if you take the 16 minutes it takes for the average person to read every word of Articles One through Severn , you will find that ONLY the "supremacy clause was amended by the Bill of Rights.

THAT is vital to understanding the position that no federal law can ever remove the rights secured by the Bill of Rights (read the 9th amendment; “The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”

and 10th amendments ;The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people

Please note that powers that are NOT delegated to the United States are powers like what are calmed by the ATF, FBI. DEA, NSA and also by congress and the Senate as written in --1791!!!!! So they could not gain those powers in 1791, and if you read what it says, they can't EVER gain such powers.

so you can have the foundation for this defense.)

Next it must be understood that to be admitted into the Union EVERY state MUST abide by the Bill of Rights for all it's citizens too. It is no more lawful for one state to outlaw guns when another doesn't then it would be to outlaw a religion. the Bill of Rights is 10 amendments, but IT'S ALL ONE LAW!!!!! States and cities not doing so today is the result of people not reading and understanding the 9th and 10th amendments and understanding the word "amendment" so they can see the so-called Supremacy Clause was struck down way back in 1891.

So ----- no Federal law and NO state law is allowed to infringe on any of the rights mentioned in the Bill of Rights (and "others retained by the people" ) The Bill of Rights and the 10th amendment is clear on that, then and for all time.

Lastly here are the definitions of the key words of the 2nd Amendment as used and defined at the time of their writing.

A well ______________________________(successful or effective)
regulated _____________________________(accurate and properly functioning)
Militia______________________________( Every able bodied man between the ages of 17 and 60 who has not been adjudicated mentally ill or convicted of a capital or infamous crime, who has at least 2 front teeth and a trigger finger.)

being necessary________________________( Vital and indispensable)
to the security__________________________(Freedom from risk or danger; safety)
of a free______________________________( Not imprisoned or enslaved; being at liberty. Not controlled by obligation or the will of another
State,__________________________________(the condition or circumstances of a person or thing, a sovereign political power or community, the territory of such a community)

the right _______________________________(a freedom or power that is morally or legally due to a citizen. God Given. Not a privilege which can be revoked, but a condition that can not be lawfully taken away for any reason by another, and can only be surrendered by the holder for the cause of free will, as a sacrifice. A citizen can be deprived of rights criminally by act of infringement by another citizens or official, which would not constitute a waver of rights, but such acts are the very essence of base vulgarity and crime. The state of liberty therefore can be surrendered, the citizen stepping out from under the protection of law, and in fact giving the rights up, but the act of attempting to deprive another of a right or set of rights is unlawful in every instance. )

of the people__________________________( the body politic of the nation. Individual person. All the common men women and children ,all and in singular. My note:
The same context as used in the 1st, 2nd, 4th 5th 9th and 10th amendments and implied in the 6th 7th and 8th)*

to keep ______________________________(To retain personal possession, have a supply of, or to maintain for use or service.)
and bear ______________________________(To carry from one place to another; transport at will, unrestrained .)
Arms________________________________ (weapons that can be man packed by 4 men or fewer. Any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting in a military action.
shall not be infringed.____________________(To transgress, violate, defeat, invalidate or encroach on someone or something in any way shape form or manor.

And lastly look at this >>>> 18 U.S. Code § 241

If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State, Territory, Commonwealth, Possession, or District in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same; or

If two or more persons go in disguise on the highway, or on the premises of another, with intent to prevent or hinder his free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege so secured—

They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both; and if death results from the acts committed in violation of this section or if such acts include kidnapping or an attempt to kidnap, aggravated sexual abuse or an attempt to commit aggravated sexual abuse, or an attempt to kill, they shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for any term of years or for life, or both, or may be sentenced to death.

Last edited by szihn; 03/05/20.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 345dl, 219 Wasp, 46 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,810
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.