Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by blairvt
Are they worth it. I can't believe what they want for Sitka and the like. I usually hunt with a pair of my old military fatigues and and some silk type long johns. If it gets really cold I have some coveralls I think I paid $50 for years ago. Seems to work for me. Other than just having to have the latest and greatest are they worth it?

Every hunted at 6 to 10 k feet in the mountains in the fall? Try wearing cotton clothes and tennis shoes and pack out an a deer or elk in a snowstorm

Hunting a 100 yards from your vehicle at sea level in a heated and baited tree stand is a bit different.

You pick up great gear more than 50 per cent off on camofire, REI, etc

Last edited by ribka; 03/06/20.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SeanD
Depends on what kind of hunting you do. For backpacking on 7 day plus trips in snow/rain - yes. If you are happy with your cotton , definitely not.

Plus 1.

I found out a long time ago being able to stay out when its cold, wet, and snowy, upped my odds of punching a tag in this part of the world.

Also helped pack, yes pack, a young guy back to the road who was wearing Carhartt cotton coat and pants on a lion hunt. He was soaked and suffering from hypothermia.

Good clothes whether it be wool, synthetics, etc.. can be vital in some areas.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Salmonella
The eastern whitetail hunter in a treestand doesn't need $500 Kennetrek boots.
They are perhaos the best article of hunting clothing ive ever owned for western mountain hunting.

Nope they sure don’t. lol

Do western guys need 4 pack horses, a 10 man wall tent, 2 guides, 3 french hens, a Sherpa with a rickshaw of novels, yeti coolers, and $550 Schnee boots?

laugh

Of course they do! How else are they gonna get that “feeling of superiority”?? Bragging about their Swarovski’s and their Porsche’s???

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I would general say yes. I know when I was a young man and could not afford top end gear I spent many miserable days afield. I just thought at that time that was the way it was. Then came the day when I had a little more disposable income and started purchasing better gear, including wool base layers and outer wear. I am amazed today when I can hunt in weather, at 68 years of age, that would have sent me to the truck years ago. I also find that the good gear lasts much longer.

I met a women last year on a plane trip to Fairbanks Ak. She was a local that had lived there all of her life and her husband was a guide and bush pilot. The conversation of course came to the weather in Fairbanks and how do you stay warm. Her response was a quote from her husband that "there was no such thing as bad weather, only bad gear". I had to nod when she said that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CEoW717
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I'm a wool guy, so that really expensive stuff is not for me.

And I'm not a stand hunter, so I'm moving most of the day still hunting from spot to spot.

I might consider looking into it for a backpacking hunt................but I got along without it WAY back in the 70's and 80's doing 4-9 day trips in the Sierras just for fun.

Wool pants, Merino long johns, Pendleton shirts, wool jackets and hats and I'm good to go, especially with some decent rain gear and if I'm not hunting in SE AK during the wet part of the year.

Geno

Buy some Filson wool... now that’s expensive.

I got a really nice Filson vest and pants from a 'fire member here for a very decent price.

I'm a cheapskate. grin

Actually, he was quite happy with the deal too.

There are other brands of wool too. And thrift stores.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
The most expensive stuff I have bought is Cabelas Premium about 5 years ago or more. I’d buy them on sale and with credit card points. It’s worth whatever methods you employ to stay warm and dry. I chose clothing .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I used to wonder the same thing. Finding the answer that works for me was worth every penny of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To a point. But a cotton Ralph Lauren Polo looks a hell of a lot like one from JC Penney. Unless you’re at the yacht club.

Look at the classifieds at Rokslide. Those knuckleheads sell their monkey suits like little old ladies at a quilt convention.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hunt nekked myself.

Cold or rainy days.

Steve O leopard skin thong.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My first 20 years hunting elk I wore a a red and white ski jacket with blue ski bibs. I had Sorrels for boots and warm wool gloves and got 12 elk during that time. Then I switched to expensive garb. In the next 8 years I got 6 elk. Then while I still went, I didn't really go our hunting and I got two more. So, from experience I can say it has made no difference at all in my success rate. But I do look better going out every day than I did before...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hunt nekked myself.

Cold or rainy days.

You strip down before or after you scatter the corn?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by renegade50
Hunt nekked myself.

Cold or rainy days.

You strip down before or after you scatter the corn?

Geno

After of course!!!!!
Dont wanna put all that manly testosterone scent on my bait!!!

Want bucks coming in , dont want em scared off by dominance they might perceive from my Adonis scent!!!!dont want a bunch of lovelorn receptive does coming in to those awesome pheromones either.
Just wanta draw em in from habit and hunger.

CICI,s buffet but its only corn on it

All you can eat until the hammer drops!!!

Tactics man,,,, tactics.......
Lord of the flies schitt....

Lol!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 03/06/20.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Since hunting clothes got so expensive I buy the majority of mine on eBay, won't pay more than 50% of retail for new with tags items and look for free shipping too. I refuse to buy Under Armor or any other manufacturer's goods with their logo plastered all over, they're not paying me zilch to advertize their brand.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by dale06
I do like to have comfortable and warm/dry hunting clothes. But that can be accomplished without buying a pant,vest, and coat that can push $700. I buy on sale and look for non major brands.
Cabela’s had some pretty good mid priced hunting clothes before bass pro ruined them. I did stock up on the Cabela’s clothes.

Most of mine came from Cabela's in the good old days, too. Many from their bargain barn. Some wool pants and shirts from some military surplus outlet.

I've hunted in 40 below and 60 degree weather and never got cold or broke a sweat by layering as needed and carrying what extra I might need in a backpack.

It's not rocket science and doesn't have to cost like it either.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Mid priced stuff works ok for me
But if the top end goes on sale ill pick some up.
My problem is sizing.
Right between L and XL and am long waisted

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you spend enough time outdoors, hours away from comfort, all year long. you learn that your clothing system is your armor. Staying effective over time is greatly enhanced by good gear and if the activity is important to you the cost is returned by the value gained.

That being said great gear is available from the mountaineering/backpacking sector and available to the careful shopper for 1/2 the cost of the good hunting gear if you can live w/ drab colors and give up camo.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It works really well with heartfelt messages and pictures on Instagram.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by blairvt
Are they worth it. I can't believe what they want for Sitka and the like. I usually hunt with a pair of my old military fatigues and and some silk type long johns. If it gets really cold I have some coveralls I think I paid $50 for years ago. Seems to work for me. Other than just having to have the latest and greatest are they worth it?

Every hunted at 6 to 10 k feet in the mountains in the fall? Try wearing cotton clothes and tennis shoes and pack out an a deer or elk in a snowstorm

Hunting a 100 yards from your vehicle at sea level in a heated and baited tree stand is a bit different.

You pick up great gear more than 50 per cent off on camofire, REI, etc

It depends on what you are doing. Sitting still in the wet and cold means you will get cold.
If you are moving you will stay warmer.
And some people have more tolerance for being uncomfortable.
If you have low tolerance then spending money ma make you feel better.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
l like real wool. It stays warm even when wet. Gore Tex is handy but mine can be noisy. Elk hunting in late October/early November at rocky mountain altitudes is no joke.

If I were to spend big money, it would be on quality broken in boots that fit. Brand new boots can feel ok in the store, but not so much after a few hours.

Those cheap disposable hand warmers are helpful if I'm sitting for a while.

Stay dry to stay alive.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got good stuff but I didn't pay retail for most of it. Picked up my Woolrich mackinaw iin like new condition at a garage sale for 30.00. I have a Filson upland hunting jacket that I don't think was ever worn that came from another garage sale for, get this, 3.00. Paid a buck for the Filson cap to go with it. That jacket retails for 395.00 online. We do alot of garage sales in the summer and it's amazing what you can find for dirt cheap.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.