Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I just soak in water like the OP. No Chemicals. Skulls come out with a natural color and very nice.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A couple from this falls wolf. He was just losing his baby teeth. These are right out of a hot soak in dawn and water using 30338's bucket heater, which rocks by the way.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Just finished this one up last week

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Cool wolf and good looking muley buck. I need to buy a hanger or two I guess. That sure looks good.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't read all the posts, but does anyone have any experience "macerating" a skull in the ocean? I'm thinking that the crabs and other small invertebrates might help speed up the process and skip the rotting part. Haven't tried it yet but seems like it might work pretty well. I have a few skulls I'd like to try it with.

IC B2

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Seems like you would lose the ability for the bacteria to clean out all the tight spots, but I know nothing about ocean cleaning. If you do it, post up some pics and let us know how it goes. Seems like a few years back I saw someone doing that off a pier. Just didn't see closeups of final product so I can't say for sure on it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Finished my bull bout a month ago

Finished product is a hellava lot better than boiling

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Soaked an elk skull from May into last October, and then hit it with the car wash wand. About 75% effective. Will probably have to soak again through all of this coming summer.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great looking mount Judman.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 30338
I'd buy this one and turn it to 100 degrees to macerate, any above 100 and you kill bacteria. Then when cleaned of all rotten flesh, I'd wash bucket out good, pour in dawn soap, turn heat to 150 and degrease for a couple of days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OYEABGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd put this heater on the very bottom of a home depot bucket which is what I do. If you read through the thread, its going to smell like hell for 3 days. I am now swapping water at 3 days to cut odor down. Don't pour it out anywhere a dog could get it or you'll be doing a lot of baths.

The best bucket heaters I've found are actually for heating up honey. They wrap around the bucket. Use a food grade bucket.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 1minute
Soaked an elk skull from May into last October, and then hit it with the car wash wand. About 75% effective. Will probably have to soak again through all of this coming summer.

Gotta have some heat pard

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Thegman
I didn't read all the posts, but does anyone have any experience "macerating" a skull in the ocean? I'm thinking that the crabs and other small invertebrates might help speed up the process and skip the rotting part. Haven't tried it yet but seems like it might work pretty well. I have a few skulls I'd like to try it with.

It varies a lot, depending on what's down there. Have done lots of fish that way in a shrimp pot. If there are sand fleas, they will strip it clean, and in a hurry. They are the maggots of the ocean. Might want to wrap it in some sort of mesh if trying to keep the teeth. We tried a frozen bear skull, and all it got was wet.

Found a goat skull (and the rest of the goat) on the beach once, and it was clean as a whistle.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Finished my bull bout a month ago

Finished product is a hellava lot better than boiling

Damn those dark horns look nice with a white skull. Looks really good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks kurt, hard to beat the coloring of Roosevelt and blacktail bone. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Yes, I have done it ONCE... not impressed. Boil it and then use hydrogen peroxide and let dry in SUN...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Like others I’ve done several bear skulls in shrimp pots. Sand fleas will clean them up quick, like overnight if there’s enough of them. They’ll still need degreasing but the ones I did were pretty well clean otherwise. We put them in onion sacks to retain the teeth that inevitably fell out.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TheKid

Like others I’ve done several bear skulls in shrimp pots. Sand fleas will clean them up quick, like overnight if there’s enough of them. They’ll still need degreasing but the ones I did were pretty well clean otherwise. We put them in onion sacks to retain the teeth that inevitably fell out.

Yeah, shrimp pot conversations is what gave me the idea. Maybe take the bear skulls to Seward, I wouldn't think Cook Inlet would have as many "cleaners". I'll give it a try in Kodiak this fall too. Might be a good way to clean up a deer skull.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Here are some pictures of the goat skull we found. Ocean did a great job.

30338 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How many growth rings on that critter? Amazed you got the horn sheaths too . Looks great.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Sheaths were and still are tight. Will count rings when I get back home. As i recall, it didn't miss the book by much.

Page 17 of 19 1 2 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (204guy, 16penny, 1_deuce, 280Ackleyrized, 2ndwind, 300s, 27 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,622
Posts18,474,027
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.