Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Funny how many here are quick to blame the cop and the "victim" here is someone who chose to drive drunk.

What if the cop hadn't stopped her in the driveway and just a block down the road she hit and killed someone? The cop might have prevented that, but he's the bad guy? Get real.

She brought this on herself. Lawyer up and learn from it.

How could the cop tell she was drunk in the driveway unless he observed her intoxicated before she got in the vehicle?

If she was such a danger to the public, you'd think he would have intervened before then?

Common sense.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Got charged with "DUI by Allowing" after desert storm.
Little gem Montgomery county passed right before the 101st returned from desert storm as a revenue maker.

Met a chick at a bar.
Let her drive my truck to a hotel, was gonna rail the fugg outta her for sure....
Got pulled over.
Truck got towed
She got charged for DUI
I got charged DUI for allowing.

We both went to Montgomery county jail.
Bailed myself out after 8 hour sleep off.
Got truck outta tow yard.

Got a Lawyer.
Slumlord knows who he was.
Dude got disbarred eventually.
Think better call saul with a huge coke habit.
Lol!!!!

Spent about 14 months in and outta court stuff.
Bout 2600 bucks total between lawyer and court fees.
Reduced eventually to public Intox 150 buck fine
50 hrs community service which I did at Pratt Museum on Ft Campbell limbing all the trees around the Aircraft display and cleaning the wpns and displays on exhibit inside.

Got to dissassemble, clean and reassemble some pretty cool wpns
Bout the only positive thing from the entire thing aside from learning that cabs are the way to go and way less painful on your wallet.

Last edited by renegade50; 03/07/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did she say she was drunk? I must have missed that.
We don't KNOW that she was drunk and neither do you.

Blood test results will tell if she was within legal limits.

Anyway, even if she was within legal limits, her case is probably a loser. Spend a lot on the lawyer, get sentence reduced in proportion to $$ spent on said lawyer.

Last edited by Tyrone; 03/07/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Funny how many here are quick to blame the cop and the "victim" here is someone who chose to drive drunk.

What if the cop hadn't stopped her in the driveway and just a block down the road she hit and killed someone? The cop might have prevented that, but he's the bad guy? Get real.

How could the cop tell she was drunk in the driveway unless he observed her intoxicated before she got in the vehicle?

If she was such a danger to the public, you'd think he would have intervened before then?

Common sense.

A drunk person minding their business in their yard is one thing, that same person gets behind the wheel, even in their own driveway is another. This post sums up why cops are screwed, damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LazyV

Common sense.

A drunk person minding their business in their yard is one thing, that same person gets behind the wheel, even in their own driveway is another. This post sums up why cops are screwed, damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

That post points out that officer discretion is a valuable tool.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Lost my aunt to a drunk driver years ago. I have no sympathy for anyone who drives intoxicated. That includes driveways. I'm sure the officer who did not show any discretion has seen his share of worst case scenarios.

Our sheriff addressed our Rotary Club years ago and concluded his remarks by saying "If you shoot a burglar and drag his body in the house, I'll help you out. You get pulled over for DUI? I dont know your ass...". He got an ovation.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yeah, this post also points out the version of events told by a intoxicated, scared woman who is in trouble. There’s another version seen by the cop. No one on this thread has anything beyond 1% of the information of the situation but is happy to condemn one party or the other. Bottom line is get a lawyer, learn and move on.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a firepit, two actually. I don’t entertain people.

I drink alone.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Common sense.

Common sense is not driving if you've been drinking.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Lost my aunt to a drunk driver years ago. I have no sympathy for anyone who drives intoxicated. That includes driveways. I'm sure the officer who did not show any discretion has seen his share of worst case scenarios.

Our sheriff addressed our Rotary Club years ago and concluded his remarks by saying "If you shoot a burglar and drag his body in the house, I'll help you out. You get pulled over for DUI? I dont know your ass...". He got an ovation.

Yep.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Eight fugging blocks? Pathetic fugging choice.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This DUI is probably going to make the village budget for the year!

Politics is War by Other Means
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah, this post also points out the version of events told by a intoxicated, scared woman who is in trouble. There’s another version seen by the cop.

This. Ask almost anyone who got arrested, it's never their fault.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Common sense.

Depends on whether you think arresting someone or stopping them from driving while drunk is more important. If it really happened the way OP said and cop was watching her before she got in the car he easily could’ve hit his lights to get her attention, told her not to be stupid and to go into the house before she got into trouble

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
That cop isn't screwed if she fights the case and wins. He stopped her from driving that night. He got paid for his work. He will get paid to go to court and testify. After 20-30 years he will retire with a good pension. She is out a bunch on the deal win or lose and hopefully learned a lesson. I never minded it when I charged someone with something and they hired a lawyer. Didn't cost me anything and I would rather answer a lawyer's questions on the stand than some private citizen asking stupid questions.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/07/20. Reason: added answer

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Common sense.

Depends on whether you think arresting someone or stopping them from driving while drunk is more important. If it really happened the way OP said and cop was watching her before she got in the car he easily could’ve hit his lights to get her attention, told her not to be stupid and to go into the house before she got into trouble

I understand your point, but that perspective is taking all responsibility away from her and putting this on the cop. Bottom line, she shouldn't have got in the car.

Also, how is the cop to know how many times she's done this before? Generally when a person is busted for a DUI, they've gotten away with it many, many times before.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Getting a DUI on private property - what a bunch of bulls-hitt , it's no wonder this country is going to hell - people will gladly let the law/courts railroad them

And OMG if someone is doing something that they don't do - oh hell yes arrest them and pry 20K out of them for the state and lowyers . .

If someone is mowing their lawn and a cop decides to stick his nose in their business - they should be able to tell the cop to get the F off my property - then do whatever it takes to get him off your property .
Can't even imagine what our forefathers would think about the dumbfks who think this stuff is ok - SAD -VERY SAD place this country has turned into .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

https://www.grllaw.com/drunk-driving-defense/penalties-and-consequences/

Driver's License Consequences

The Iowa Department of Transportation only looks at prior drunk driving license suspensions within the past 12 years to determine if the current charge is a 1st, 2nd or subsequent offense. Zero tolerance (.02) offenses count!

Under Iowa laws, any person found to have been operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated by failing a sobriety test or refusing to submit to a sobriety test must complete a mandatory drinking and driving course.

OWI First Offense
Serious Misdemeanor

Jail sentence of up to 1 year in jail but no less than 48 hours; fine of up to $1,500 but no less than $1,250 plus 32% surcharge, court costs and $10 DARE surcharge; Substance abuse evaluation; drinking drivers course; restitution (if any).

An individual with an alcohol concentration under .15 when no accident resulting in bodily injury has occurred and no prior deferred judgment for OWI may be eligible for a deferred judgment which avoids jail time but still results in a $1,250 civil penalty, court costs; substance abuse evaluation; drinking drivers course; restitution; and probation for up to 1 year.
Misdemeanor Convictions

While misdemeanor convictions do not pose nearly the issues that felony convictions pose, they often have devistating effects on a person’s life. Employers often run background checks, and when they do a misdemeanor is a criminal offense that will show up in the final report. Additionally, a misdemeanor can cause issues with obtaining clearances such as a security clearance or a child care center license particularly if the misdmeanor offense involved any violent or sexual crime.

Collateral Consequences
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I Lose My Job?

There is no clear cut answer to this question as Iowa is a “work for hire” state, meaning that an employer does not need a particular reason to fire an employee so long as termination is not based upon a discriminatory practice. Every employer is different and has different policies when it comes to retention of employees that have been convicted of a criminal offense. Those who make a living driving a vehicle, especially commercial vehicles, are most likely to see adverse employment consequences from a DUI conviction.

Is a Deferred Judgment a “Conviction?”

No. A deferred judgment in Iowa is not considered a criminal conviction for purposes of criminal history checks. HOWEVER, many times employers will hire out of state companies to do background checks who do not understand or know how to read Iowa criminal history reports. If a person is required to sign an authorization to obtain their ARREST record, they would be well advised to check “no” on the conviction question but to none-the-less disclose that they received a deferred judgment simply so the potential employer knows that the individual is being up front and honest with them.
How Long Do I Need SR22 Insurance?

Two years.
How Long Will a DUI Affect my Insurance Rates?

Every insurance company is different on what they consider and how far back the will look to determine applicable insurance risks and corresponding rates. The general rule of thumb though is that a conviction for DUI will adversely affect a person’s “insurability” through various insurance companies for approximately seven years.
Will a DUI Conviction Affect My Professional Licensure?

Operating While Intoxicated (DUI) charges is the one criminal offense that impacts the widest range of socioeconomic classes. Whether it be doctors, lawyers, accountants, CEO’s, business leaders, financial advisors, nurses, teachers, contractors, or other well-employed professionals, no one profession avoids the glare of law enforcement lights better than any other. One question that is often brought up when a professional is charged with Operating While Intoxicated is “what about my professional license?”

There is no quick and easy answer for this question as it depends upon each professions code of conduct and individual employment contracts. Ordinarily though, professional licensing regulations are only implicated in cases involving convictions for felony offenses, crimes of dishonesty, or substance abuse issues that directly impact or involve the professional’s job performance.

A first offense operating while intoxicated charge is NOT a felony, nor is it a crime of dishonesty or one that would ordinarily impact or involve a professional’s job performance. Obviously, if the allegations involve the operation of a company vehicle or occur during the course of performing employment duties, that is a completely different analysis. An ordinary operating while intoxicated, first offense, however, should not result in suspension or disqualification of professional licensing barring extenuating circumstances.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Got no sympathy for folks who drive drunk.

This will be a good life lesson for the girl if you let her learn it.

It will likely cost her thousands of dollars. Fortunately it didn't cost anyone else their life.

^

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JamesJr
DWT, driving while texting, is just as dangerous as DUI............yet I see it every time I go somewhere. Mostly women.

^

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 4 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

683 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,601 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.