-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Top notch nurses and people who work their tails off should be allowed to drive intoxicated. I guess by fire logic if she was black and on welfare she should be in jail.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
OP, I feel for your daughter. People make mistakes. No one condones drinking and driving but most of us (that drink alcohol) at some point made a foolish decision to get behind the wheel when we shouldn't of. This mistake will change her life forever, just glad no one was hurt.
Find a well established attorney in the local area who has been practicing a long time. They often have connections to help them plead it down. Again, its going to cost her.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think what her BAC level will tell you what to do.

After two hours it should have peaked and slightly dropped.

If she was way over......u need an attorney. IMO

Scrutinizing the test would perhaps be the best route.

No field sobriety test?

Last edited by Angus1895; 03/07/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
don`t hire a good lawyer,hire the best criminal attorney money can buy and sue these butt heads ! she won`t get a DUI if she was still in driveway.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 16bore
Top notch nurses and people who work their tails off should be allowed to drive intoxicated. I guess by fire logic if she was black and on welfare she should be in jail.

My life includes colors beyond black and white...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
don`t hire a good lawyer,hire the best criminal attorney money can buy and sue these butt heads ! she won`t get a DUI if she was still in driveway.

Yes. You can get a DUI on private property.

Look it up. Particularly in your own state.

To say otherwise is just ignorance.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Just curious, but if the bar was 8 blocks from the house, how did the cop know she had been drinking when she backed out of there driveway?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gemby58
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by kid0917
sounds like she was still in the driveway when he stopped her?
If so he gave her a break, this will be tossed and she will learn a huge lesson.
still cost you low thousands, I am sure.

I have seen convictions here for operating tractors and lawnmowers
while intoxicated. On private property. Following injuries that
required ambulances.

The DUI log skidder was a fatality, on road.
At 3am.

No sympathy for the driver in that one.
His wife was the victim.

Had a friend arrested for having a open container of beer open while mowing his back yard. He got the cop back by filming him at a bar and driving drunk, cop lost his job.

I used to enjoy a beverage while mowing.
Then one day, it dawned in me as I was making the first pass by the
state highway. This is illegal, and there are 4 or 5 state cops that live
within a mile of here. And all but one have to drive past me.
Their being neighbors was probably what saved me.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I believe that traffic laws do not apply on private property. I think she can get the case thrown out. Very zealous Iowa policeman there.

Apparently Iowa DWI Laws also covers private property? That would be one thing to find out, was it legal for the police to charge her in her own driveway?

In some states DWI and other vehicle violations can only be charged in a PVA ( Public Vehicular Area) or on a street or highway. Not that I would do this, but in my state if I want to drink all day long and drive my vehicle on my property there is not a darn thing I can be charged with. If I drive up my drive way, sideways in a reckless manner, so be it, I can't be charged with reckless driving. Traffic laws in this state is based on PVA, streets and highways. There are some laws that cannot be charged in a PVA in this state. Most everything goes on a street or highway though.

Here is some reading for you.

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/ico/chapter/321J.pdf

Last edited by BIGR; 03/07/20.

NEVER GIVE UP
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
She ain't beating chit. Diversion. Comply and no conviction. If available there.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good attorney in the field of DWI defense will cost money. But the long-range implications for your daughter will be greater. The traffic stop in my view, if correctly described, lacked probable cause regardless if she was on private property or a public parking lot. But you need to know the laws in your state. DUI arrests usually involve a criminal component and a civil component (the breath test question). When I testified on the stand in my DWI cases, the more probable cause I had made the case stronger. The jury wants to hear the facts as to why the officer made the stop. Make sure the defense attorney gets the transcript of the officer's conversation with the dispatch center. Without discussing the case with a competent attorney, you can't make an educated decision. Throwing yourself at the mercy of the county attorney is a gamble. One bad decision can lead to long-lasting consequences. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some of these responses are soo ignorant.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
the bigger concern for OP’s daughter is going to be that nursing license. Here in Texas a dwi wont get the medical license suspended but it will often trigger a review by the nursing board as to whether there are any addiction issues. From what it sounds like she would be ok on that but it wouldn’t be fun. Get her a good criminal lawyer but also have her to talk to a lawyer that deals with the medical Board discipline so that knows going in what effect different outcomes in the dwi could have on her nursing license

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Got no sympathy for folks who drive drunk.

This will be a good life lesson for the girl if you let her learn it.

It will likely cost her thousands of dollars. Fortunately it didn't cost anyone else their life.

Yep.

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If she was truly on private property there should be no issue..if she didn’t say much the defense would be just clearing the driveway near the garage door. No intent to drive out.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A traffic stop doesn’t require probable cause, just reasonable suspicion.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by pete53

Yes. You can get a DUI on private property.

Look it up. Particularly in your own state.

To say otherwise is just ignorance.

Very true

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Good gawd. Deferred judgement or found guilty will be her choices....

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
When you get an attorney get one that has a record of winning against DUI charges. There are plenty who will take your money and don't want to go to the trouble to fight the probable cause for the stop. Public defenders are terrible about pleading defendants guilty. Even if you lose in the first court the probable cause may be thrown out in the next step. Our town probably has 60 attorneys but there aren't more than 5 I would hire for a DUI case. In this state even if she were convicted on 1st offense it would be fairly easy to go through the process to have it expunged.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Funny how many here are quick to blame the cop and the "victim" here is someone who chose to drive drunk.

What if the cop hadn't stopped her in the driveway and just a block down the road she hit and killed someone? The cop might have prevented that, but he's the bad guy? Get real.

She brought this on herself. Lawyer up and learn from it.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,422
Posts18,470,622
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.