Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I searched for Amazon last night, and the computer went haywire. The screen was filled with this. A loud buzzer was going off.
I couldn't make it go away. I figured this was a scam.
I did call the number, of course some Indian guy answered, couldn't understand what he was saying. I hung up.

The computer was frozen up. It took me a half hour, I kept turning the computer on and off. Finally a few of my old settings were displayed. I kept punching up my old web sites, and finally got back online. All this crap then went away.

I guess the Hadjis hacked in to where if you did a google search for Amazon they would take your computer over.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Run malware bytes it put something on your drive.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Malware for sure. Lucky it wasn't ransomware.

Your best plan would be to go back to a setpoint made days before this happened, then run several passes of malware removal tools (both from MSoft and third party like Malwarebytes). Once you're clean, make another setpoint. Do NOT do a system backup before you get all this done or you'll simply be saving the malware for future use!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
What Rocky said. Perform a System Restore to a point prior to the bug.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best bet is to not click anything, just pull the plug.
Then plug it in and reboot.
Do not let it reopen anything

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Run malware bytes it put something on your drive.

This.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Or buy some real system protection, like ESET.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a common attack, it takes over your browser, not your computer. It fills the screen with nonsense and pops up a window. That window won't let you close your browser until you close the pop up window. When you do that it pops up another window faster than you can close your browser - endless loop. It's all done with a java script.

Easiest way out of it is to open Task Manager, go to Processes and kill the browser process, And yes you can restart your computer without loosing anything except your browser session. Google how to open Task Manager for your version of Windows. For 7 easiest way is press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and start Task Manager come up as an option. You can also right click on an empty spot on the task bar and a little menu will pop up with the option. (pressing alt-tab will get you to another window where you can reach task bar, if you have another window open)

They tell me that if you call the number the guy gives you instructions to make your computer remotely accessible. Then he reaps all your data and you're totally screwed. Could also install something like a keystroke reader that collects everything you type and phone it home. So you don't want to do that.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DavePrice
Best bet is to not click anything, just pull the plug.
Then plug it in and reboot.
Do not let it reopen anything

NOT recommended. You can corrupt hard drive files that way. The OS should repair itself and it USUALLY does but you lose data. CTRL-Alt-Del for a safe shutdown or restart.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Flogging is too good for the scum that does this crap.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Do OSs still have safe mode?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by nighthawk
That's a common attack, it takes over your browser, not your computer.
Easiest way out of it is to open Task Manager, go to Processes and kill the browser process, And yes you can restart your computer without loosing anything except your browser session. Google how to open Task Manager for your version of Windows. For 7 easiest way is press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and start Task Manager come up as an option.

Exactly, except that recent versions of Windows use Ctrl-Shift-Esc to open Task Manager. Kill the browser, then restart it and be prepared to kill it again with the upper-right 'X' if your browser restores the previous session if it shut down abnormally.

After that, you can run Malwarebytes, restart the machine, or anything that melts your butter, but killing that browser session ends your problem.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Your first mistake was to call the number on the screen, NEVER call any number on the screen or in emails unless you absolutely certain who you are calling.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ironbender
Do OSs still have safe mode?

Windoze still has safe mode.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Goggling the phone number shown has it in Lago Lago, Nigeria.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by joken2

Goggling the phone number shown has it in Lago Lago, Nigeria.

Simon could be a millionaire!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That malware takes over my phone every so often. Drives me batshit! Only way I found to stop it is shut down the phone. Usually pops up when I am on gunbroker and bump a popup.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I get the same thing but it's only when I'm on 24hrCF. I have Malwarebytes and it doesn't find anything.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had much luck with Malwarebytes, or for that matter, Norton, Avast, McCafee, etc. Largely trouble free computing came with Linux.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
24hr CampFire has been my worst spot for this sort of thing coming up of the sites I frequent. Some times of the day are worse than others, Sorry to say this looks like a very organized effort driven from foreign soil. If there is a way for us to retaliate and shut this down I am all ears. As things stand I have been frequenting The fire a lot less due ti tis chit. Unless I am mistaken the driving force is to one degree or another achieving their goals. If i was to point fingers Peoples Republic of china & Russian Organizations fall high on my list of probable originators. GRR

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 72 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.