Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Any thoughts on the Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph??

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I highly recommend the newest ProChrono from Competition Electronics; the model with bluetooth connectivity built in. It's a good chrono when used stand-alone of course, but when paired with their smartphone app it really works well and you can go back and access your shot strings months later.

I replaced my older ProChrono around Christmastime, and considered that Caldwell, but went with the ProChrono again based on the reliability and good results I had with it. (The old one still works fine, but I wanted two of them.) On the other hand, I had the opposite experience with Shooting Chrony units and would never buy or recommend another.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never heard a bad word said about the Caldwell. But I'd get the ProChrono DLX, or Digital, but not the Pal.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Yondering
ProChrono again based on the reliability and good results I had with it. ... On the other hand, I had the opposite experience with Shooting Chrony units and would never buy or recommend another.

This precisely mirrors my own experience.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I highly recommend the newest ProChrono from Competition Electronics; the model with bluetooth connectivity built in. It's a good chrono when used stand-alone of course, but when paired with their smartphone app it really works well and you can go back and access your shot strings months later.

I replaced my older ProChrono around Christmastime, and considered that Caldwell, but went with the ProChrono again based on the reliability and good results I had with it. (The old one still works fine, but I wanted two of them.) On the other hand, I had the opposite experience with Shooting Chrony units and would never buy or recommend another.

I've had the ProChrono Digital for around 20 or so years and second the reliability. I'm thinking of replacing with the bluetooth version myself. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these as a reliable, inexpensive chrony.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
FWIW, I started out with the entry level PACT over 25 years ago. It's still going strong.

But, I almost never use it anymore. I bought a Magnetospeed Sporter. Works indoors, if need be, or in the rain/mist (where my PACT has been prone to suspicious readings), and I don't have to wait for a "time out" at the range to march out and put up my tripod with sky screens, or to take them down when I'm done.

I personally don't know anything plus/minus about the Caldwell, but if that is the price range that you need to stick to, it seems a reasonable choice.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by M1Garand

I've had the ProChrono Digital for around 20 or so years and second the reliability. I'm thinking of replacing with the bluetooth version myself. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend these as a reliable, inexpensive chrony.

I didn't think the bluetooth version (the DLX I think) would be that much more useful, until I got it. Without bluetooth it works exactly like the Digital of course, but I rarely use it without pairing to my smartphone app now.

For the OP, in re. to the price comment above - the Pro Chrono DLX is only ~$125, and worth every penny.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I didn't think the bluetooth version (the DLX I think) would be that much more useful, until I got it. Without bluetooth it works exactly like the Digital of course, but I rarely use it without pairing to my smartphone app now.

For the OP, in re. to the price comment above - the Pro Chrono DLX is only ~$125, and worth every penny.

That was my thought as well. I normally jot down each velocity next to my load data after each shot and I figured with the phone app, this would go right to it. I've seen them on sale several times for around $110 so I think next time I see a sale, I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input guys. I’m going to order a pro chrono DLX based off of the reviews and you guys’ experience.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by ShortMag11
Thanks for the input guys. I’m going to order a pro chrono DLX based off of the reviews and you guys’ experience.

Awesome, I think you'll like it.

If you really want to splurge - the indoor lighting kit (uses infrared or UV light, I forget which) is a nice addition if you shoot indoors or in areas with poor lighting (like lots of tree cover and/or dark rainy days.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I like my Magnetospeed sportster. It saves alot of time and hassle when I shoot at a public range. Keep in mind the #1 thing every chronograph owner learns: There are only two kinds of chronographs, those that have been shot and those that will be shot wink

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Dinny
I like my Magnetospeed sportster. It saves alot of time and hassle when I shoot at a public range. Keep in mind the #1 thing every chronograph owner learns: There are only two kinds of chronographs, those that have been shot and those that will be shot wink

Thanks, Dinny

Nooooooo 😂

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot mine a few years ago. It had an exit wound, but no blood trail. I’m more careful now with bullet placement!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShortMag11

Great choice, you won't be disappointed.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lastround
I shot mine a few years ago. It had an exit wound, but no blood trail. I’m more careful now with bullet placement!

I killed my first one as well. No trailing needed when you hit one with a 520 gr. bullet from a 45-120. It was one of the first "Chrony's", yellow in color with quite a bit of plastic. It rained both materials for almost a full minute. Everything was bloodshot.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use this chronograph

http://www.opticsagent.com/Caldwell-Ballistic-Precision-Cald-720002-Bal-Chronograph-G2_p_425221.html

I like the inverted read set up as it tends to always read the velocities. it sync to a smart phone app via blue tooth. Allows automatic saving of shots in a file which you label. Automatically saves weather data. Allows you to add a photo to file...I save a picture of the group to the respective file. Gives velocity of each shot, average velocity, spread, SD and energy if you have entered in a bullet weight. if you experience a shot you want deleted from the file, that is easily done. Also allows for notes. This allows me to go back at any time and review my chronograph activities on my phone.

Last edited by Lennie; 03/07/20.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
C
C
Originally Posted by Dinny

Thanks, Dinny

Luckily I've never shot a chrono but I've ruined my fair share of sky screen rods haha. Switched to a MagnetoSpeed a couple years ago to eliminate that and not have to worry about lighting conditions. The only thing I don't like is my POI does shift when its on so I don't trust it work up loads and chrono at the same time. I just work the load up and the gather my chrono data after the fact.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Originally Posted by lastround

I killed my first one as well. No trailing needed when you hit one with a 520 gr. bullet from a 45-120. It was one of the first "Chrony's", yellow in color with quite a bit of plastic. It rained both materials for almost a full minute. Everything was bloodshot.

Yup, I shot my first one too; heavy 45 Colt load for me. Best thing I ever did with that old Shooting Chrony; it got me off my butt to buy something better.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

140 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 20 invisible), 1,984 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.