Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
In the past, I never loaded a Barnes under 165gr. My next '06 is going to get a tryout with some 150 TTSX I have on hand. But, being the OCD tinkerer I am, I will try all I have on hand of other makes/types/weights, ha.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
What would you all consider the best hunting bullet for the 30-06 that also has the best ballistic coefficient? I’m just kinda curious

BC should be of little concern unless you are planning on shooting past 500 yards consistently. Accuracy and terminal performance are usually much more of a consideration. That said, I prefer the TSX or TTSX in 150 to 180gr depending on the application. I have found them to consistently provide near match grade accuracy in a number of rifles and stellar terminal ballistics.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Looking like Nosler gets the nod

While I would never fault someone for choosing a Nosler Partition, neither do I consider it, for my purposes, the best hunting bullet for a .30-06. Or any other cartridge.

Accuracy is one issue. I’ve never had a rifle where a Partition provided better than acceptable accuracy. Other bullet designs have consistently provided excellent accuracy in multiple cartridges.

Coyote Hunter,
My 06’ did not give me great accuracy on all partitions from 180 grain and smaller.
Groups were certainly “ok”, but weren’t great.

Then, some of the threads on the fire highly touted the accuracy of the 200 grain partition....
I tried the 200 grain spitzer, and it was dead-nutz accurate!

You might pick up 50 blems from Nosler and give it a whirl.

Cheers to you and yours!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I have three of them. But, they are all stamped 300 WSM.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You have my deepest sympathy

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You have my deepest sympathy

I love ‘em.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
What would you all consider the best hunting bullet for the 30-06 that also has the best ballistic coefficient? I’m just kinda curious

BC should be of little concern unless you are planning on shooting past 500 yards consistently. Accuracy and terminal performance are usually much more of a consideration. That said, I prefer the TSX or TTSX in 150 to 180gr depending on the application. I have found them to consistently provide near match grade accuracy in a number of rifles and stellar terminal ballistics.

The 175 LRX in the good ol 06 would be a pretty good pick, if you could work up a good accurate load for said rifle. Hell, I might just do that...
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

While I would never fault someone for choosing a Nosler Partition, neither do I consider it, for my purposes, the best hunting bullet for a .30-06. Or any other cartridge.

Accuracy is one issue. I’ve never had a rifle where a Partition provided better than acceptable accuracy. Other bullet designs have consistently provided excellent accuracy in multiple cartridges.

Coyote Hunter,
My 06’ did not give me great accuracy on all partitions from 180 grain and smaller.

Then, some of the threads on the fire highly touted the accuracy of the 200 grain partition....

Cheers to you and yours!

Great advice. I should have picked up more than 500 the last time they were $13.45/bag!!!!!!!! Damn, now you are lucky to find them under $20/bag...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Blacktailer

The 175 LRX in the good ol 06 would be a pretty good pick, if you could work up a good accurate load for said rifle. Hell, I might just do that...
Originally Posted by Old_Crab

Coyote Hunter,

Cheers to you and yours!

Great advice. I should have picked up more than 500 the last time they were $13.45/bag!!!!!!!! Damn, now you are lucky to find them under $20/bag...

+1 for 175g barnes lrx. I have had great results with them.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Curious. What would be the difference in performance out of the 30/06 between a TTSX & LRX bullet? They sound like they are damn near identical from what I just read over on Barnes website. Maybe the LRX is just a bit more streamlined? Not sure.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My most consistently accurate loads in two ought sixes, were with Speer 150gr Hot Cor spitzers, over 57grs of IMR 4350. Shot great in a M760 I had and the US Rem 1903 sporter. That was probably 35 years ago, but at the time that bullet was fairly inexpensive and those were my primary deer rifle choices over several seasons.

Performance on whitetails was great. Loaded hundreds of them for a farmer cousin back then, no complaints from him.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've used the '06 with a 150 driven just past 2900 fps--usually by H4895--for decades now. I've used basic Sierra, Hornady or Speer bullets along with Nosler BTs, all of which will flatten deer 30-300 yards with a good hit.

I picked up a late production Remington 7400 Synthetic and have been wringing it out. Runs fine with factory loads and the above reloads. So far it's looking like 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 for three shots cold; and that is with the old Tasco that came on it. Plenty good for a beater farm gun that just might get aperture sights anyway.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
FWIW I've used something similar for quite some years: a plain vanilla 150 gn (most often a Winchester Power Point, but I've used others) at about 2900 fps. I've killed literally hundreds of pigs with it, a good number of fallow and the odd red stag, and sundry other game. It has proved very reliable. I've used other loads too, from 110 gn to 220 gn, and seen 240 gn used, but that 150 gn load is my go-to.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Curious. What would be the difference in performance out of the 30/06 between a TTSX & LRX bullet? They sound like they are damn near identical from what I just read over on Barnes website. Maybe the LRX is just a bit more streamlined? Not sure.

Supposedly the LRX opens up slightly better at lower velocities... Thus, making it a better longrange barnes option..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The LRX are more streamlined and have a higher Ballistic Coefficient as a result. Both have been very very accurate in every rifle I've tried them in. Easy load development for both as well.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had great results this past season with 150 gr. TTSX in factory ammo. Very accurate and devastating terminal performance. I only wish Barnes had factory .30-06 in 130 gr. TTSX as they do in .308.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I had great results this past season with 150 gr. TTSX in factory ammo. Very accurate and devastating terminal performance. I only wish Barnes had factory .30-06 in 130 gr. TTSX as they do in .308.

I was thinking the exact same thing on those 130s

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by HCDH66

I was thinking the exact same thing on those 130s

Otherwise, I may have to purchase a .308 😂

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
R
R
nothing wrong with the 30-06. I've shot more deer with an '06 and a 270 than every other cartridge combined.

"One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship." - George Orwell
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Certainly the 30-06 is a great cartridge and I consider it overpowered for much of the big game it is used on.

Could you define the correct power for those big game animals? It would make it easier to decide if a cartridge is overpowered or underpowered.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Well well I guess if you just go around and skull f**k everything you shoot it probably is. So go pass go get a 223 collect the ego trip and shoot a bunch of deer thru the ears or the lower jaw shot off or just tell every one it was a clean miss when in fact it wasn't. When you get asked how you missed just tell them you farted caused by all the smoke that got blowed up your ass by some one who only believes what they think to be the only answer. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,319
Posts18,505,792
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.