Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Do you have a 300 to 1,000 yard range where you can shoot close by ?

Most of the PRS shooters moved down to 6mm vs. 6.5 because you can see you hits easier...

If you do go PRS you’ll need a PRS style stock, I tried shooting it with a field stock the first year.

Not to mention a Kestrel & ballistic program.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
There is a new PRS range within like 15mins of me.

I don't know that I'd wanna play with their matches. But I doubt they'd turn my money down for a membership to use the range and shoot their steel. I will have to stop by and talk to them. Maybe watch one of their matches and see what they are like. Right now I don't see myself traveling or getting heavy into big competitions. Club shoots and such maybe.

Basically looking to get my foot in the door in the long range game right now.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Would you happen to be the same Mauser06 from a site that used to be called "The Outhouse" ?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yep. Lost the secret link to the place and couldn't get back!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I thought I recognized your writing, The site is gone, JC kind of disappeared , I hope her and her daughter are well, Kevin died of cancer 3-4 years ago, I talked to Lanse after Kevin died, nothing new there, his son was doing well, Frank (Champlain Islander ) posts on this site under the same name, North Texan got married and disappeared also, of the others I have no idea.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you haven’t shoot 300 yds a lot, I would start there first, then work up to 500 yards.

Learning shooting positions and Neutral holds is way more important that being cool...

the most beneficial shooting competition I did was High Power because it taught me positions and neutral holds,. And generally goes out to 500 -600 yards.
It is not cheap, but it is NOTHING like the cost you hit in PRS.

PRS will teach you longer range (beyond 500) in varied conditions. Past 500 you need better glass, essentially a better rifle, and something to work ballistics.
The regional PRS matches are fun and cheap, the offical PRS matches are a lot more costly and often 2 day events.

I am a proficiency and performance guy, meaning it’s not about winning, it’s about hitting the plate / gong... what not, so I shy away from competitions, but do them to learn and practice.

what ever you do have fun

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx spotshooter! Sound advice....once the fun is out of it, why bother? Just go to work! Lol.

I honestly think joining that range will be just up my alley and probably a good place to start learning. I just need to check the place out and talk to the owners and such. Again, I've ran into things like that where because I didn't compete or shoot what they shoot etc, that I was an outsider and treated as such. For the cost of the yearly membership, I'd think they'd be glad to have anyone. Lol. Your average guy isn't paying that to shoot his deer rifle at 50yds once a year to make sure it is still "minute of pie plate".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

FYI, I never spend the jingle to blueprint a 700, as it's more cost effective to sell it and buy a custom. You'll take the hit on resale.

I can usually get the accuracy I'm looking for w/o a blueprint, but then I don't scrimp on the rest of the components.

Most likely the action won't be what's holding a guy back......

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Aalf, I've been following your Shazam posts. I was going to send you a message to see how far that one was gone over aside from a good barrel. That sucker shoots!

I actually started looking around at benchrest actions and like you said, by the time you trick out a m700 action, you can have one of those. And I've found used bench rifles way lower priced than expected. I know that's a risky business... I wouldn't buy one just cause. It could be for sale for a bad reason.

I just put the Game Hunter on the m700. I don't know if I will keep the Grayboe for something else or send it down the road. Just messing around in the house, the Game Hunter feels better to me.

2 more nights of work. Probably sleep a few hours on Wednesday and then hit the range. Will likely bed it sometime over my days off.

Interested to see if it still shoots ragged holes after swapping the stock.

Last edited by Mauser06; 03/16/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,821
Posts18,496,525
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.