Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

His table is flawed.

It only list thickness, but provides no figures regarding the hardness of the various cup materials.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Ball powders? If not that, when?

Ball powders work best with hot primers, so yes, use CCI 450's with hard to ignite ball powers.

That is the frequently repeated internet wisdom, but is not really true. Ball powders used in the 223 case size are not "hard to ignite", and they don't necessarily need a hot primer. In most of my heavy bullet 223 loads with ball powders, a milder primer like the WSR or S&B SR have been significantly more accurate. Talking about AR15 here, not just bolt guns.

IMO this "ball powder = hot primer" thing is one of those sacred cows that needs to die. I'm pretty sure it came about from the use of H110 in magnum revolver cartridges, and doesn't really apply to most rifle cartridges despite frequent claims to the contrary without evidence.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Yondering

Ball powders work best with hot primers, so yes, use CCI 450's with hard to ignite ball powers.

That is the frequently repeated internet wisdom, but is not really true. Ball powders used in the 223 case size are not "hard to ignite", and they don't necessarily need a hot primer. In most of my heavy bullet 223 loads with ball powders, a milder primer like the WSR or S&B SR have been significantly more accurate. Talking about AR15 here, not just bolt guns.

IMO this "ball powder = hot primer" thing is one of those sacred cows that needs to die. I'm pretty sure it came about from the use of H110 in magnum revolver cartridges, and doesn't really apply to most rifle cartridges despite frequent claims to the contrary without evidence.

That's not what my groups tell me.

I also that with such a small case it might not make a difference, so i tested it. The magnum primer really does make a difference with ball powders, especially with H335 and BLC-2. There's no question they shoot better with hot primers.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/15/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW...I used to have an old 700 ADL in 222 mag that I had a lot of hang fires with using different ball powders (748, BL-C2, H-335) using various non-mag and mag primers until I tried Win small rifle mag primers.

Deus Juvat

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Winchester doesn't make a small rifle magnum primer.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rost495

Federals give slam fires

That is what they used to say about the standard 205 and the 205M, but the new 205MAR has solved that problem, I have switched to them in all but one of my AR's. can't see ever using CCI's again

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

That's not what my groups tell me.

I also that with such a small case it might not make a difference, so i tested it. The magnum primer really does make a difference with ball powders, especially with H335 and BLC-2. There's no question they shoot better with hot primers.

And groups with most of mine tell me the direct opposite - that milder primers give better accuracy. I see it repeatedly in the 223, Grendel, -08/Creed, and -06 based rounds using powders like TAC, XTerminator, Lever, H414, etc. Not always, but often enough that there is no rule of thumb to follow based on powder choice.

Seems to me it's a lot more about what the rifle prefers than a catch-all statement of "ball powder needs hot primer".

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My loading from years ago consistently showed that other than BR4 which supposedly isn't mild, that among Varget, 2230,2250, 748, WC 852 and H380, H4895, IMR4064 and N550 and N540 and a bit of TAC that 450s and M41s consistently were better, to include some use of R7.5 but only on RL15, but that using standard primers the loads opened up.

That may not be the case these days.

Was not aware federal has a specific AR primer now. I don't use Federal that much, but in some instances they have been better primers.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Winchester doesn't make a small rifle magnum primer.

Yeah, I knew that was wrong as soon as I hit post reply. Win small rifle primers...

Deus Juvat

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But the old ones used to be hot enough to be called mags IIRC..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

And groups with most of mine tell me the direct opposite - that milder primers give better accuracy. I see it repeatedly in the 223, Grendel, -08/Creed, and -06 based rounds using powders like TAC, XTerminator, Lever, H414, etc. Not always, but often enough that there is no rule of thumb to follow based on powder choice.

Seems to me it's a lot more about what the rifle prefers than a catch-all statement of "ball powder needs hot primer".

I realized I should clarify this to say I am NOT talking about Rem 6-1/2 primers or any other "low pressure" primer. Just talking about standard CC400, S&B SR, and modern WSR, etc in the small primer cases. Mostly CCI 200 or WLR (which I now avoid) in the large primers.

One example is the 77gr SMK or 75 BTHP in my 223 Wylde over a max load of TAC. With CCI450 primers that rifle shot patterns, not groups. Talking like 3+ MOA. That particular load wasn't great with any primer, but went about 1-1.5 moa with S&B SR primers as the only change, which IMO is a pretty significant difference. My rifle, my loads, etc, but I've seen it too many times to accept the common blanket statement about ball powders. Other times the CCI450 shoots better; IMO you can't know until you try them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And what you say about primers making a difference is a huge point with me. I've seen em double or more group size. I"ve seen em cut groups in half or more also. Meaning same load, swap primers.

Its one reason I tried to keep on hand at least a few hundred of every primer I could access. You never knew. And yes, we had a load once that worked with Rem 6.5s for some stupid reason.. LOL.

Tac loads for NTIT team ammo at Perry last time I shot was Tac and M41 and 77s. It wasn't great accuracy but it was certainly MOA accuracy just over and under in all the team guns and thats 6 guns as a team firing at the same time and swapping ammo out. Out to 600 but you know all that. Says something at least.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I realized I should clarify this to say I am NOT talking about Rem 6-1/2 primers or any other "low pressure" primer. Just talking about standard CC400, S&B SR, and modern WSR, etc in the small primer cases. Mostly CCI 200 or WLR (which I now avoid) in the large primers.

One example is the 77gr SMK or 75 BTHP in my 223 Wylde over a max load of TAC. With CCI450 primers that rifle shot patterns, not groups. Talking like 3+ MOA. That particular load wasn't great with any primer, but went about 1-1.5 moa with S&B SR primers as the only change, which IMO is a pretty significant difference. My rifle, my loads, etc, but I've seen it too many times to accept the common blanket statement about ball powders. Other times the CCI450 shoots better; IMO you can't know until you try them.

I've had very good result with the S&B's behind TAC as well.
I was under the impression they were on the hotter side.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never had a slam fire with a federal, but only burned about 2000 of them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The old federals it was only a matter of time for a slam fire. Or burning a pinhole and into your firing pin. Everyone in high-power competition knew that. It was a given.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had very good result with the S&B's behind TAC as well.
I was under the impression they were on the hotter side.
I don't know about hotter/cooler, but to me they seemed like clones of Rem 7.5s. Just from a couple velocity readings.

Jeff, I thought you were a big proponent of TAC?

Politics is War by Other Means
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10ring1, 270cowboy, 44 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.