Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Trip starts in south jersey and ends in Montana. Planning on leaving 4-15 or so. No set time to return but I figure I’ll spend a couple months out there checking things out. The reason for the trip is to look at a place to buy, hike, fish, wander the mountains and hopefully run across a bear during the spring season. I figure I’ll take the scenic route on the way out and back. I’m looking for any recommendations to make the trip more enjoyable. Great places to eat. Attractions to see....even if it’s just a drive by of the largest rubber band ball in the world or anything strange like that. It’s just me and the dog. I’m hoping to avoid major metro areas even if the detour adds time to the trip. I haven’t traveled thru much of the Midwest so I’m looking forward to it.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rushmore

1Minute
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Time an arrival in Sheridan Wyoming to have breakfast at the Silver Spur Cafe. And in Bozeman at the Western Cafe. Great places for breakfast.

Some of the neat places will still be closed off in April, like the Beartooth Highway, and the Lamar valley in Yellowstone. Where in Montana are you planning to look? It’s a big place...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Blus mesa reservoir CO

Pintado canyon CO

Dinosaur natl monument CO/UT

Flaming gorge Reservoir UT/WY

Red desert WY

Wind River, WY

Yellowstone

Big Hole River MT

Schedule yourself a float trip or 2 on the Wind and big hole rivers...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The property I’m most interested in is around the Superior area. it’s not currently on the market but I think it’ll relist in the upcoming months. I’m keeping my options open. I may find something else I love on the way there or back

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Blus mesa reservoir CO

Pintado canyon CO

Dinosaur natl monument CO/UT

Flaming gorge Reservoir UT/WY

Red desert WY

Wind River, WY

Yellowstone

Big Hole River MT

Schedule yourself a float trip or 2 on the Wind and big hole rivers...

All of the above occur on what would be described as a big loop starting in colorado and ending up in montana. you'll want some time to do it all justice

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter4623
The property I’m most interested in is around the Superior area.

Take the drive up to Copper harbor MI, and then back south and across the Superior shore of WI.
At houghton MI, on your way through you can get on a seaplane and be delivered to Isle Royale for a visit.
Be sure to Kayak out to the Sea Caves at Meyers beach near Cornucopia WI
The north shore of Superior up 61 from Duluth is spectacular

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
If you make it down to Sheridan, WY; go to King Ropes - quite a display of western "stuff" in there!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

Take the drive up to Copper harbor MI, and then back south and across the Superior shore of WI.
At houghton MI, on your way through you can get on a seaplane and be delivered to Isle Royale for a visit.

Superior, MT. I believe Ill be taking the northern route on the return trip. I’ve driven thru that area on the way to Canada to hunt but always in the fall. I’d like to check it out in summer. Beautiful area

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Anything you run across outside of South Jersey is going to look like heaven.

I wouldn't sweat it.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hunter4623: Be sure to do the Badlands National Park in South Dakota, then Custer and next do Mt. Rushmore and Chief Crazy Horse Monuments then do Devils Tower in eastern Wyoming, then spend a FULL day (before sunrise to after sunset!) on both "roads" in the Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming then a full day in Cody, Wyoming and the wonderful museums there. Then for sure try to do the Beartooth Highway in Montana (if it is open on your way out or your way back).
For sure do Yellowstone Park if open and right next door is Jackson Hole, Wyoming which is blisteringly beautiful in spring times and is open year round.
Eat at Bubbas in Jackson Hole, Wyoming (breakfast, lunch and dinners!).
Once done in Jackson Hole be sure to mosey over to "the Wind" - stunning, this area of Wyoming, and do some road exploring or short hikes.
Watch for shed horns in your travels and good luck on the spring Bear Hunting.
If you are a gun-nut type be sure and stop in at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, Montana (just north 75 miles or so of West Yellowstone).
Enjoy the scenery in the Madison River country between West Yellowstone and Ennis.
Have fun - drive careful and steal TP along the way!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I wouldn't sweat it.

Clearly you haven’t been to north jersey. This place is heaven compared to there. South jersey is the reason we’re called the Garden State

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.Come to Casper Wyoming. we have a couple of great museums on the Westward movement. The National Historic Trails Center and Fort Casper If you would like I can take you out on a covered Wagon trip on the Oregon and California trails. historictrailswest.com. If you just want to visit call me and we can meet for coffee or a drink.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I second that. Take US-2 west from St Ignace. Stay off the interstates as much as possible.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The property I’m most interested in is around the Superior area. it’s not currently on the market but I think it’ll relist in the upcoming months. I’m keeping my options open. I may find something else I love on the way there or back

I can hardly drive a half hour anywhere in the region I outlined (CO/UT/WY/MT) without finding a place I'd love to live in forever.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP, I hope you realize that what passes for spring for most people does not occur in the high country until sometime in June. If you could postpone your trip, you could see and do a lot more. I expect a lot of cancellations this summer in usually hard to get lodging in the national parks, so you could luck out if you want to spend the bucks.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Lots of great suggestions. Thank you

Cheyenne
I plan on staying out there until at least july. This should give me plenty of time to see quite a bit. I figure the experience of this group will ensure nothing slips thru the cracks which is likely if I just fly blind in this.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I wouldn't sweat it.

Take the West Virginia route. PA turnpike is about as scenic as a bobsled run.

I think the American Motorcycle Association museum is along the way in Ohio.

A good chance to stretch your legs.

Steer wide south of Chicago if you can. The traffic is killer.

Rapid City ?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In that case, given the amount of time you have, I would recommend that you read Stephen Ambrose's book Undaunted Courage, buy the journals of Lewis and Clark, and take in as much of the route as you can, much of which should be in the lower elevations. There are a lot of L&C historic sites in Montana. You could venture into Idaho a bit as well. You can do things like the Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone, the Tetons, and Cody on the back end. I am sure the Montana folks can give you insight on Glacier N.P. Have fun!

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
In that case, given the amount of time you have, I would recommend that you read Stephen Ambrose's book Undaunted Courage, buy the journals of Lewis and Clark, and take in as much of the route as you can, much of which should be in the lower elevations.

+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,304
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.