Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Your going to be lucky to drive through some states at this time the way they are stopping travel bans!

GB4

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is the time period we most like to roam the west prior to Memorial Day. Unfortunately this year is truly different and I wouldn't expect folks to be very welcoming. This is a novel situation stay home and don't stress the system.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I’m glad I’m getting firsthand reports. I’ll be postponing the trip until things clear up. The main reason for the trip was to look at property to buy and I’m guessing real estate agencies are closed now too. Damn it’s a kick in the nuts. I was pretty excited to make the trip in a few weeks. Thanks for the info. I’ll bring this back up when things settle and get some more intel.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Some great suggestions here. I grew up in western South Dakota and currently live in 👥 Bozeman so I know many of the places people are suggesting. I don’t think I would cancel the trip if I were you, but I would definitely postpone it for a few weeks until things stabilize a bit. As varmint guy said, take a few days in the Black Hills. Definitely see Mount Rushmore and the Badlands and Crazy Horse, but also take a little time to spend in some of the smaller towns like Custer and Hot Springs and Hill city. Camp on lake Angostura during the week and you will have it to yourself; ride the 1880 train between Hill City and Keystone; First Stop Guns in Rapid City is an amazing gun store, if you’re a gun guy definitely check that out.

In Montana, the Little Bighorn Battlefield is pretty moving. Plan on spending an afternoon there. Beartooth Pass and Cooke City if you can get to them are also pretty impressive places. White water rafting on the Yellowstone or the Gallatin in May or early June when the run off is fast and high is also a gas. A guided flyfishing trip on the Yellowstone or the Madison or the Missouri would be a lot of fun too. Lots of fish. Good bear hunting south of Livingston too.

Lots of places to eat around Bozeman: Storm Castle and Western Cafe are both great breakfast places. Feast is my current favorite restaurant; Squire House is also excellent. Both are pricey. Back country burgers is not, and is a great burger joint. Café Zydeco is a Cajun place in Bozeman that is excellent and reasonable. I’ve had gumbo ppl in New Orleans that isn’t as good.

In short, there is more to do out west than any 1, or 10, people can advise you on. Come with some hiking gear, come with your bear rifle, come with a varmint rig, come with your fishing gear and just explore.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (BALLISTIK, batch, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,141
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.