Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I agree with the shooting it. I also agree, I've never had a 7-08 that I've liked as well.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve also got a 7mm-08 Ti. I tinkered with it for several years. Here is a list of things I’ve done to mine.

Remington 700 Titanium 7mm-08

McMillan Hunters Edge Stock

Jewell Trigger

Tubs Lightweight Firing Pin Assembly

Bat Aluminum Trigger Guard

Skeletonized Bolt Handle

Talley Ultralight Rings (Special Run)

Swarovski Z3 3-10x42

Factory Barrel Cut to 20"

Action Glass Bedded

Bolt Lugs Lapped

Bolt and Trigger Guard Cerakoted Black

Attached Images

You ain't about that life.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
1)

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would have shot it. I know the Ti's get a lot of praise here for being accurate. I bought a 30-06 that looked like it had rumble strips with all the chatter marks in the rifling. My plan was to buy a stock rifle and hunt the snot out of it instead of building one. Seemed like the fiscally responsible thing to do, haha. This rifle shot patterns instead of groups and I played with it for far longer than I should have. Not one to be beat, it went to Bob Green and is due back any day with a new barrel close to a KS contour and whatever else he deemed necessary. Zero doubt it will shoot when I get it back. Should have just built a custom like I originally planned, I would have less into it. LOL!

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jdunham
I would have shot it. I know the Ti's get a lot of praise here for being accurate. I bought a 30-06 that looked like it had rumble strips with all the chatter marks in the rifling. My plan was to buy a stock rifle and hunt the snot out of it instead of building one. Seemed like the fiscally responsible thing to do, haha. This rifle shot patterns instead of groups and I played with it for far longer than I should have. Not one to be beat, it went to Bob Green and is due back any day with a new barrel close to a KS contour and whatever else he deemed necessary. Zero doubt it will shoot when I get it back. Should have just built a custom like I originally planned, I would have less into it. LOL!

Think I woulda tried fire lapping.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Never thought of it. Would have been in interesting test. The whippy barrel on them is the only thing I would have done different from the outset if I was Remington. Something along the lines of the KS contour would have been perfection. Time will tell.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vact2002: I have a Remington 700 "Mt. Rifle" in caliber 7mm/08 and enjoy it very much.
It is accurate and the cartridge very efficient and mild of recoil.
I am in the camp of folks who buy some Rifles to shoot or Hunt with then they get shot immediately - testing for function and accuracy. If they pass those tests I keep'em if they don't then down the road they go!
The Rifles I buy as an investment or collectibility of course do not get shot.
I am hoping your Remington 700 in 7mm/08 shoots as well as mine does.
And by the way that was very considerate of you to give fellow CampFirers "first choice" on the 7mm/08's you have sold in the past.
I say give that nifty Rifle of yours a day or two at the range!
Some Rifles "don't need to be shot" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with "unfired Rifles" being in ones possession.
Either way enjoy your Rifle and tinker away if it pleases you and enhances your hobby!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You say a previous owner fired the rifle so it's not unfired? You just a bit gun-shy? Hell, I'd shoot it!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone makes a big deal out of him not shooting it, and I also find it odd.

However, if he bought it new, sent it to a big name gunsmith along with
$2-3k and had been waiting 3 years to get it back...

He would be a freaking hero to some.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am more impressed with his restraint. I am like a kid on Xmas morning when I get a new gun. Out shooting it in my pajamas ASAP!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am a rifle loonie who feels compelled to tinker with my shooters. I seldom keep a rifle in its factory specs unless it was purchased as a collectible piece or to put aside to sell somewhere down the road, rather than as a functional piece.

I regularly buy rifles and don't bother to shoot them until I've received and installed the after-market parts that I've ordered for them.

If there is a particularly good deal, I might buy several rifles for donor actions, disassembling them without ever shooting them.

None of the people who I hunt with are quite as obsessed. Some do a little upgrading, some do nothing, some think that it is dumb to spend money on a McM stock when the rifle probably came with a fully functional stock. In general, what other people do or buy is of little interest to me.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Vact2002: I have a Remington 700 "Mt. Rifle" in caliber 7mm/08 and enjoy it very much.
It is accurate and the cartridge very efficient and mild of recoil.
I am in the camp of folks who buy some Rifles to shoot or Hunt with then they get shot immediately - testing for function and accuracy. If they pass those tests I keep'em if they don't then down the road they go!
The Rifles I buy as an investment or collectibility of course do not get shot.
I am hoping your Remington 700 in 7mm/08 shoots as well as mine does.
And by the way that was very considerate of you to give fellow CampFirers "first choice" on the 7mm/08's you have sold in the past.
I say give that nifty Rifle of yours a day or two at the range!
Some Rifles "don't need to be shot" and there is absolutely nothing wrong with "unfired Rifles" being in ones possession.
Either way enjoy your Rifle and tinker away if it pleases you and enhances your hobby!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I buy more than I sell......but this always the first place I list them.......

I will eventually start shooting it and will hunt it.....most Likely 😏

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've never done that, i shoot every rifle I have owned. Including some that I was told should not be shot. Collectables. I do change things, upgrade etc, but want to know what it does first. Shoot it..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (17CalFan, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,388
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.