Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
100grNP Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Recently traded for a bone stock 24" 5r in 308. I've tried 5 different kinds of match grade factory ammo that came with the rifle. Hornady, Remington and black hills168-175gr bullets. I've shot a 1/2lb of varget behind various sierra bullets from 165-180gr. Every powder charge and coal imaginable. Action screw tourqe from 45-65lbs. Swapped scope and mounts. Barrel is not touching a thing all the way down. Muzzle crown looks good to my untrained eye. The rifle will not shoot less than 1.25 groups at 100yds. What else could it be besides a bedding issue? I own several light weight model 7s that will greatly outshoot this thing.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why not glass bed it?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Could be a copper mine. Tried cleaning the bore?

Last edited by dye7barrel; 03/18/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one, 300 Win mag, 3/4 groups on the first load I tried. 168 Barnes

Could be full of copper like posted above.

Son in law has a 308. He gets 1/2 with his. He would probably get that with mine too, ain’t as good as I once was.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a couple of 5Rs in the heavy barrel mil-spec version; one's a .308 and the other a .300 Winchester. Both shoot accurately, but .308 loads must be seated to full magazine length, about 2.84" with some bullets for best accuracy. Looks like it has a freebore-type throat. I've had good results with Varget in .308s, but have generally found that H4895 often makes slightly more accurate loads even if you have to give up a little velocity.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Although I like Varget in the 308, I'd try other powders. I've found that it pays to try different components in looking for an accurate load in any rifle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I shot a similar rifle with a 20" barrel. Twist rate was on the barrel at 11.25. Throat was quite long, which I didn't like. However, it shot well with Federal Match ammo, 168 grain Sierras. The best load I found was 44 grains of Varget under the same bullet. The owner wanted to shoot 125 grain Ballistic Tips for less recoil, but they were too short for consistent accuracy. Sometimes a rifle needs a barrel bump in the stock's barrel channel to shoot accurately. I have one rifle like that now. I used two layers of silicone tape near the end of the barrel channel and it worked.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Varget is the popular choice, but for whatever reason I've done the best with H4895 and lately, RL15, about 41-42gr of that under 165-168gr bullets. F210M primers when I can get them, or CCI BR2.

I'd JB the bore and make sure the barrel and stock can't be squeezed together with firm pressure. Mag box clearance. Check that base screws aren't bottomed out.

Still, if those groups are 5-shot, 1 1/4" ain't awful, just not wonderful, or even 3-shot for most uses. Maybe that's why it was traded.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/19/20.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Maybe that's why it was traded.

Bingo

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

Bingo

That would be my guess if it doesn’t have a barrel full of copper.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Make sure the magazine box is not binding and glass bed behind the lug. Try Federal Gold Medal Match , if you cannot get sub 1" with that get rid of it.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 100grNP
Recently traded for a bone stock 24" 5r in 308. I've tried 5 different kinds of match grade factory ammo that came with the rifle. Hornady, Remington and black hills168-175gr bullets. I've shot a 1/2lb of varget behind various sierra bullets from 165-180gr. Every powder charge and coal imaginable. Action screw tourqe from 45-65lbs. Swapped scope and mounts. Barrel is not touching a thing all the way down. Muzzle crown looks good to my untrained eye. The rifle will not shoot less than 1.25 groups at 100yds. What else could it be besides a bedding issue? I own several light weight model 7s that will greatly outshoot this thing.

Some rifles can be down right picky and finding the right load can be a challenge.What is the charge weight of your loads?Brass can make a big difference too due to different case capacities and also hardness.I like to start with once fired brass when doing load work up.I find I get more run out after brass gets harder and that also can affect your accuracy.Some rifles also hate a particular bullet.Seating depth another factor,bedding and the list can go on and on.Some barrels are not going to shoot well no matter what you do.I've fire lapped a few and helped some.Welcome to the world of every rifle is different.Some are easy and some are not.Powders I've had really good luck with are TAC,Varget and Accurate 4064.I use Winchester brass,WLR or WLRM primers.I started using the magnum primers and really didn't see much difference between those two primers.Here are a few of my loads that work well in my rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Make sure the magazine box is not binding and glass bed behind the lug. Try Federal Gold Medal Match , if you cannot get sub 1" with that get rid of it.

I totally agree with the comment re: FGMM, if it does not shoot great groups with that loading rebarrel or sell it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yep, just look how many of our members happily "send down the road" just such a rifle for the next unsuspecting sucker to suffer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Yep, just look how many of our members happily "send down the road" just such a rifle for the next unsuspecting sucker to suffer.

Yeah, thats the chitty thing to do. I'd pull the barrel and use it for a tomato stake before I sold a poor shooting rifle. My buddy has a rem 700 stainless 5R barrel and that rifle loves FGMM, so the guys suggesting that ammo are spot on. However, id be on the other suggestions first, starting with a good glass bedding job. Id check to make sure its mechanically sound. IE: good crown, clean chamber, good sharp riflings, full freefloat, no binding mag box, loctited bases with proper length screws, fine tuned trigger. Then after all of that, if it didnt shoot the FGMM then, id pull the barrel. The 5R barrels are some of the least finicky barrels ive seen. Use a good "proven" scope, and not a leupold for x sake!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If that gun won’t shoot lights out with good bulllets in the 165-178 range with Varget, then something is wrong. Mine will cut one ragged hole with an assortment of loads, and I’ve never read about one that wouldn’t shoot.

I agree with the binding mag box suggestion, and I certainly agree with bedding the stock. I skim bedded mine even though the HSP stock and its bedding block.

Is your scope known to be good?

Chris
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by richardca99
If that gun won’t shoot lights out with good bulllets in the 165-178 range with Varget, then something is wrong. Mine will cut one ragged hole with an assortment of loads, and I’ve never read about one that wouldn’t shoot.

I agree with the binding mag box suggestion, and I certainly agree with bedding the stock. I skim bedded mine even though the HSP stock and its bedding block.

Is your scope known to be good?

Hes probably running a leupold

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I got burned by a rifle that actually shot well when it chambered and fed correctly which was next to never. There is no way this person did not know of that issue , no plucking way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Scope/mounts is the first thing I suspect.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would try another scope also, before it went down the road

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.