-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Due to a death in our family, I had to fly East a couple of weeks ago.as this virus thing was up-ramping. Went to a med tech store and got a box of 10 of the N95 masks (not inexpensive), and wore one while on airplanes. During that trip, saw not one other person wearing a mask.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I work for St. Luke's Health System which has several hospitals and other health care facilities throughout SW Idaho. Saw an email today that the Wood River Medical Center in Ketchum (Sun Valley) is essentially shut down and that "the entire emergency department" has the corona virus. They are transferring some patients to our Magic Valley hospital in Twin Falls.

The website for this hospital has a front page announcement: "In support of a safe environment for our patients and caregivers, effective immediately we will be temporarily suspending normal operations at St. Luke’s Wood River. Our emergency department will remain open..." so I guess they're going to use other than their normal ED docs and nurses.

This is hitting closer to home.
The Times-News newspaper in Twin Falls is very quiet about what's going on. The last article I can find about the situation in Blaine County was on Friday & a lot's happened since then.

My wife is needed knee surgery and we'd planned on having it done in Ketchum. Lets just say plans have changed. She has an appointment with a different surgeon in Twin Falls next week. It'll be done at one of the outpatient surgery centers in Twin Falls most likely. They don't get sick walk-in's at surgery centers so they're a lot more isolated from the virus.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bamagun01
The other [case] attended Catholic Mass last Saturday evening and the church announced it on Friday. Basically the test were performed on Monday and the results were confirmed on Friday.

This is exactly an example of what is wrong in how people and the testing system are handling this virus. So a full week before the test is confirmed and announced to others, while everyone gets together and spreads it to each other. That'll be an "outbreak" for sure now.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I work for St. Luke's Health System which has several hospitals and other health care facilities throughout SW Idaho. Saw an email today that the Wood River Medical Center in Ketchum (Sun Valley) is essentially shut down and that "the entire emergency department" has the corona virus. They are transferring some patients to our Magic Valley hospital in Twin Falls.

The website for this hospital has a front page announcement: "In support of a safe environment for our patients and caregivers, effective immediately we will be temporarily suspending normal operations at St. Luke’s Wood River. Our emergency department will remain open..." so I guess they're going to use other than their normal ED docs and nurses.

The Times-News newspaper in Twin Falls is very quiet about what's going on. The last article I can find about the situation in Blaine County was on Friday & a lot's happened since then.

My wife is needed knee surgery and we'd planned on having it done in Ketchum. Lets just say plans have changed. She has an appointment with a different surgeon in Twin Falls next week. It'll be done at one of the outpatient surgery centers in Twin Falls most likely. They don't get sick walk-in's at surgery centers so they're a lot more isolated from the virus.

The last report, as of 5pm today, is that Blaine county has 21 cases. Sounds like someone got sick and rushed to the ER to infect all the staff.
There are 3 new cases in other counties in people who have been in Blaine in the last couple of weeks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bamagun01
We have two confirmed cases in our county. One of the cases lives in my neighborhood only a couple of streets over. The other attended Catholic Mass last Saturday evening and the church announced it on Friday. Basically the test were performed on Monday and the results were confirmed on Friday.

My wife is a RN at the local hospital and she specializes in “hard to stick IV” patients, pic lines, mid lines to ill patients. She and another nurse are the only ones who perform these tasks. So basically they work everywhere from the ER to ICU on any and every patient that needs assistance. To say they are more likely to be infected or exposed is an understatement. I am concerned but that is her profession and she is a very dedicated employee ( 22yrs). She returns to work in the morning.

If she becomes infected that will quarantine our entire family. Myself, three kids and possibly my mother whom I see daily. My mom has crones and is 76 yrs old. I’ve been in my restaurant daily working with my managers and employees trying to maintain as many sales as possible. We are only able to serve carry out only because of state mandates. What is disturbing is someone can have the virus and possibly infect someone and no one would know until a week later.

Prayers for all!

You need to find a spot for your mom to shelter in place away from all of you!

Do this with no exceptions!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Reschedule and stay home.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The local hospital (Portneuf) has announced they will do no more corona testing or care. If you're sick, call the health department. They won't even let you in the door. They have been running doctors off by the dozen over the last couple of years, and I expect this to do them in. Incredible level of arrogance and myopia at the management level. Profit at all costs....

For profit health care has it's drawbacks.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
No time to have an elective surgery if you are wise. Too many assymptomatic carriers running around being just one of several reasons...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Amen to that Dutch! Captive audience for one with few alternatives. One's health is about as personal as it gets. People grasp for straws in desperate times and "straws" just keep getting more expensive for some reason...

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Third party payers don't help the situation (costs) either... too easy to believe you are spending someone elses $$$, not your own!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm an ER nurse myself. A very good friend who happens to be an ER doctor shared this article with me recently. Great read and gives some light at the end of the tunnel for us healthcare workers.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/keeping-the-coronavirus-from-infecting-health-care-workers

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 280Rem1
If the masks don't protect you from the virus, why do all the healthcare workers wear them? Think about it. They don't want all of us buying them up.

Prezacgly.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx
If the masks don't protect you from the virus, why do all the healthcare workers wear them? Think about it. They don't want all of us buying them up.

Prezacgly.

Lots of confusion, although there are at least 3 posters on this thread who know precisely what they are speaking of.
The N95 will absolutely protect the wearer if worn and fitted correctly. Many of the “sewing projects” are making cloth masks to go over the N95 to protect them from becoming soiled - they are in such short supply, that if not soiled they are being used for multiple encounters. Part of the reason for the shortage may be the hoarders. The reason the general public is told they don’t need the N95 is that if you maintain normal distance from someone your likelihood of transmission is exceedingly low. Remove that distance and add coughing and aerosolization of respiratory droplets while manipulating an airway multiple times a day and the likelihood of transmission increases significantly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Plan on a delay, likely 2-3 months or more. Elective surgeries have all but ceased based on a CMS directive that came out late last week. Conservation of PPE and risk of asymptomatic covid-19 patients infecting staff or other patients motivated this directive.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Prezacgly.

Lots of confusion, although there are at least 3 posters on this thread who know precisely what they are speaking of.
The N95 will absolutely protect the wearer if worn and fitted correctly. Many of the “sewing projects” are making cloth masks to go over the N95 to protect them from becoming soiled - they are in such short supply, that if not soiled they are being used for multiple encounters. Part of the reason for the shortage may be the hoarders. The reason the general public is told they don’t need the N95 is that if you maintain normal distance from someone your likelihood of transmission is exceedingly low. Remove that distance and add coughing and aerosolization of respiratory droplets while manipulating an airway multiple times a day and the likelihood of transmission increases significantly.

Finally someone got it right! fitted correctly

The N95 will absolutely protect the wearer if worn and fitted correctly

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 76 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.