Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Turkey hates us.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a RIA 1911-A1. Never been shot in its original configuration as a 45ACP. Put a Kimber 22LR conversion on it the day I bought it and that's the way its been ever since. No complaints. My next RIA is going to be one of the HiCap 2011-style guns. Not sure if I'll stay the way with a 9mm, or go to the 40S&W. Seems like 40S&W is always available at the LGS, whereas in 'hard times' and panics, the shelves are bare of 9mm.

Along the same lines, i.e. 1911s made in the Philippines, I have a Metro Arms American Classic II in 38 Super that is the cat's azz. Had it for about a year, shoot it almost weekly, and have never had a hiccup. If I could find one of the STI DVCs (discontinued). Id have a 38 Super in a 2011-style gun.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A member here has had a RIA 1911 for quite some time with good results

Look for "Old Chocolate" as it is referred to in the search engine...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by bcolorado

i was shooting old chocolate one day, front sight fell off. I still kid him about that.
and no, he still won't sell it to me. or will it to me. something about a conflicting claim by a guy in colorado.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by bcolorado

i was shooting old chocolate one day, front sight fell off. I still kid him about that.
and no, he still won't sell it to me. or will it to me. something about a conflicting claim by a guy in colorado.

I thought Bricktop had first dibs.

IC B2

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wanting a 1911 in 9mm but not wanting to break the bank I purchased a new RIA 1911A1 a couple of months ago and so far (knock on wood) after aprox. 900 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. TMJ I've not had any problems with it whatsoever.

Out of the box it had a pretty darn good trigger and it rings the gongs at 25 yds. consistently which is all I expect of it........the only thing I've done to it is paint the front sight blade yellow and nudge the rear sight a little to the right.

So far I'm happy with my purchase.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW I consider Rock Island 1911s as fully equal to entry level Springfields of like configuration, This is not to say either of them won't require a little tweaking for best results. Check the 1911 Articles pull-down if further explanation is required.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/

The MetroArms Classic II is probably the best non-Colt 1911 I've had ahold of.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/the-metroarms-american-classic-ii-1911-pistol/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I nearly bought one several years back, a Bud has a 10mm double stack, they come with and without a rail, he had a rail less, it shot very nice, AFAIK he's still shooting it, haven't seen him in 6 months or so.

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
RIA 1911’s slides are not heat treated........if that means anything to you.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
It sure meant a lot to Bricktop.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I nearly bought one several years back, a Bud has a 10mm double stack, they come with and without a rail, he had a rail less, it shot very nice, AFAIK he's still shooting it, haven't seen him in 6 months or so.
I'd like to have one like that, but with the rail.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Ten-fo EE, they're big robust 1911's, Buds shot plenty well for 50 yard hunting in my hand with factory ammo, would you rail a light or laser?

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never owned a laser, but would try one. I've got a couple of lights and I'd like that option on it. I don't have a 1911 rail gun of any kind currently.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Ten-fo EE, they're big robust 1911's, Buds shot plenty well for 50 yard hunting in my hand with factory ammo, would you rail a light or laser?
Dunno if they make a Super, but wouldn't mind having one in that caliber also. Wouldn't even need to be a double stack, but would not snort if it were.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JLimbo
At the camp fire hog hunt several weeks ago G'Dub had a Rock Island with the sweetest trigger ever.

Most likely reworked but barrel to hood was tight and with GI sights that GDub probably didn't see he kicked a bunch of ass. GDub rules.

Bears quoting...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never owned a laser, but would try one. I've got a couple of lights and I'd like that option on it. I don't have a 1911 rail gun of any kind currently.

I like lasers (I have Crimson Trace laser grips installed on 3 1911's right now), but...if it's for every day self-defense or hunting I would vote NO.

Lasers are pretty sweet at an indoor range and in your home. However, lasers, especially the red ones, are extremely difficult to see in outdoor daylight. I've dinked around with red lasers outside and found that beyond about 50 ft, they're dang near invisible. It takes too long to acquire the dot and get it on target. Additionally, lasers are illegal for hunting big game in most states.

Where lasers shine (pun intended) is indoors--either the range or your house. However, even indoors, the red lasers don't show up well on certain colors or finishes. Certain black targets, especially, seem to absorb all the red light.

Another useful aspect of lasers is for general practice. They are great for dry fire, identifying a flinch, and helping a shooter understand their normal wobble zone.

As for the .38 Super in a 1911, I've not owned one, but my buddy has--it was sweet. Of course it's predominantly a handloader's proposition, which means finding all your brass each time you shoot. Given modern ballistics, if all of the gel testing and meat target testing is to be believed, the .38 Super doesn't hold any advantage over the 9mm--other than a "cool factor" which is off the charts. My buddy had two 1911 Supers at one point--a full-size and a commander, but tripped both due to them being a pain to get ammo for. Currently if her carries a 1911, it's a Nighthawk commander in 9mm.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Waders

I like lasers (I have Crimson Trace laser grips installed on 3 1911's right now), but...if it's for every day self-defense or hunting I would vote NO.

Lasers are pretty sweet at an indoor range and in your home. However, lasers, especially the red ones, are extremely difficult to see in outdoor daylight. I've dinked around with red lasers outside and found that beyond about 50 ft, they're dang near invisible. It takes too long to acquire the dot and get it on target. Additionally, lasers are illegal for hunting big game in most states.

Where lasers shine (pun intended) is indoors--either the range or your house. However, even indoors, the red lasers don't show up well on certain colors or finishes. Certain black targets, especially, seem to absorb all the red light.

Another useful aspect of lasers is for general practice. They are great for dry fire, identifying a flinch, and helping a shooter understand their normal wobble zone.

As for the .38 Super in a 1911, I've not owned one, but my buddy has--it was sweet. Of course it's predominantly a handloader's proposition, which means finding all your brass each time you shoot. Given modern ballistics, if all of the gel testing and meat target testing is to be believed, the .38 Super doesn't hold any advantage over the 9mm--other than a "cool factor" which is off the charts. My buddy had two 1911 Supers at one point--a full-size and a commander, but tripped both due to them being a pain to get ammo for. Currently if her carries a 1911, it's a Nighthawk commander in 9mm.
I've had two Supers, that I can think of. I just don't have one at the moment. I consider it a top-notch cartridge, on a par with the 10mm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Colt Government in 38 Super with Zombie grips.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Word is they are spot treated, but not fully heat treated. Good enough for the calibers they come in. Not for the 45 Super, 460 Rowland, etc.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Their 38 Super pistols are way cheaper than anyone else’s!

Last edited by hanco; 12/18/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
What about the polish ( or is it Turkish) made revolver in 9mm?

Anyone tried one?

These are made in Czech Republic by Alfa Proj. I have shot 9x19 quite a bit and the only thing I noticed the chambers had to be cleaned thoroughly after about 250 to 300 rounds otherwise cartridge insertion and case extraction became difficult. Little solvent and brass or copper brush depending on solvent used is all that was needed. No other issues.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,505 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.