Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd like to store 30-40 gals of gas long-term to power a Honda generator to keep the fridge and freezer on if the grid goes down. Apparently anything with ethanol is terrible for small engines and doesn't last very long either (like maybe 6 months). Then, I was researching additives and frankly, it doesn't look like any of them work either. So, it looks like the best a guy can do is buy non-ethanol gas and rotate it with fresh gas so your stores are no more than about a year old. Is that the state of the art??

Tarquin

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yep. Or get a propane conversion kit for about $150. Propane in tanks lasts a lot longer.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can use Stabil or other stabilizers, but ethanol is know killer of small engines. Propane is good to go for the long run.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll go with rotating the gas.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use the same Yamaha stabilizer in all the gas I buy (up to 10% ethanol 87 Oct) and store for my boat motor, small gasoline powered yard tools, and generator. The gas in my generator is now about 18 months old and will start on the first pull. I will drain it soon and replace with fresh as 18 months is my maximum storage time by experimentation - so far everything I own will run reliably on stabilized 87 up to 18 months (I'm not willing to push it any further). I mix a few gallons of the old gas into a fresh tank of gas in my car and burn it out that way.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Seafoam vs Stabil ??????????

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
You can use Stabil or other stabilizers, but ethanol is know killer of small engines. Propane is good to go for the long run.

I read some stuff that basically says Stabil doesn't work either. I think there was a study done by the University of Nebraska and none of the fuel longevity products work very well, if at all. Mostly hype. I agree propane is the way to go. Problem is, my brand new Honda 7000eu generator is fuel injected! Don't want to mess with converting it to propane unless someone makes a kit for that engine, which it does not look like anyone does.

Tarquin
T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Odessa
I use the same Yamaha stabilizer in all the gas I buy (up to 10% ethanol 87 Oct) and store for my boat motor, small gasoline powered yard tools, and generator. The gas in my generator is now about 18 months old and will start on the first pull. I will drain it soon and replace with fresh as 18 months is my maximum storage time by experimentation - so far everything I own will run reliably on stabilized 87 up to 18 months (I'm not willing to push it any further). I mix a few gallons of the old gas into a fresh tank of gas in my car and burn it out that way.

I'll check out the Yamaha product.

Tarquin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've got a dual fuel generator. Propane and Gas. We have a bulk propane tank for the house that's plumbed to run the generator. I have 3 Jerry cans of non-ethenol gas as back up that I rotate out. I need to buy some more. wink

Carpe' Scrotum
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No ethanol, SeaFoam will stabilize for 2 years, per their literature. Do that and rotate on a reasonable timeline. Although, the propane or natural gas conversion for the gen set is the best idea for easy starting, long term plan.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have room to store it safely, buy a clean 55 gallon drum, fill it with gasoline, and every few months siphon or pump 10 gallons out and put it in your car. Replace it with fresh gas, and do the same thing again in a little while.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you want to stay with gasoline find ethanol free fuel, preferably premium and add the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer. I like Pride G.

I have a diesel, gas, and propane generator. Each one serves its purpose. I can go a year without starting the propane generator and it will start first time every time. The drawback is it uses a lot of propane, if you run off bottles it is expensive and a pain to swap out bottles. I have a 250 gallon tank, that makes it easy, but still expensive to run.

T
Tarquin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like Genconnex makes a propane adapter for the Honda 7000is. Will check it out.

Tarquin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I keep a couple of gas cans filled with non ethanol for such an occasion. I run it through the lawn mower. That keeps it rotated. I don’t use any additives. I do drain the tank on the generator and run the carb dry each time I use it, because I don’t use it much.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kelbro
Yep. Or get a propane conversion kit for about $150. Propane in tanks lasts a lot longer.

Propane costs twice as much as gas, out here anyway.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Diesel fuel will last much longer than gasoline.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Buy ethanol free RV gas. Mix it 100:1 with Stihl chainsaw oil. Store full in stainless steel drum.Good for +2 years.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Aviation gas is more expensive but lasts quite a while. Your local airport will have all you can buy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kelbro
............ get a propane conversion kit for about $150. Propane in tanks lasts a lot longer.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
My personal experience is sta-bil won't be used by me again, sea foam is worth another try, & Marvel Mystry oil used out of frustration at first has worked well for me. But don't trust any of them for 6 months. Maybe the gas used to start has a big bearing?

But rotating is the only thing I trust. 30-40 gals. for the gen to start. Fill the truck with it about once a month & then immediately refill the gen, supply as to not get caught in between.

Hell, I had 5 gal of diesel on hand just to burn brush & stuff. Maybe it's been around longer that I realize, but it isn't worth a damn. I had to salt it with gas the other day to get it to light. I was careful but the gas wasn't that volatile either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,807 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.