Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have gas in air tight containers that have lasted for years. The key is a container that seals, no evaporation of the gas. This is why carbs get gummed up when not running an engine often, the gas volitals evaporate and gums up the carb. Any engine I have that is not used for a while (weedeater, log splitter, tiller, chain saw, etc) I run it out of gas, never had a problem. If it doesn't have a fuel shutoff, put one on or drain the tank, run it till it quits.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I use Stabil. No issues!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll go with rotating the gas.
That. Non-ethanol gas is easily available here, thank God...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Originally Posted by kelbro
............ get a propane conversion kit for about $150. Propane in tanks lasts a lot longer.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Around here non-al gas is so much more expensive than ethanol that the conversion would pay for itself in short order.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I add a marine grade Stabil additive and or SeaFoam every time I bring a jug of gas home. The trick to keeping small engines running is to keep the gas tank full and run them for 5 minutes every month. I've been doing this for years and have no problems anymore. Ethanol gas sure caused a lot of problems for us in our small engines around the farm.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Huge Seafoam fan here. Supposed to be good for 2 years.

I use it in everything. I usually use non ethanol gas as my storage fuel.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Odessa
I use the same Yamaha stabilizer in all the gas I buy (up to 10% ethanol 87 Oct) and store for my boat motor, small gasoline powered yard tools, and generator. The gas in my generator is now about 18 months old and will start on the first pull. I will drain it soon and replace with fresh as 18 months is my maximum storage time by experimentation - so far everything I own will run reliably on stabilized 87 up to 18 months (I'm not willing to push it any further). I mix a few gallons of the old gas into a fresh tank of gas in my car and burn it out that way.

Yamaha +1

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
I use Stabil. No issues!

Stabil works great for what I have around the house now.

Used to use Stabil Marine and Seafoam in the boat motor before I sold the boat.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Squidge
Star Tron, "Smurf piss" as my wife likes to call, mix it with a non ethanol gas.

http://www.starbrite.com/startron

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
The key is a container that seals

NATO spec Jerry cans are good for that. None of the plastic ones designed for filling tanks seal well at all.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I use non ethanol gas that is sold here in all my small engines.However, with the 20 gallons I have,I use it up every 6 months in the Toyota and replace it.I use Stabil in it also

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
tag

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have Seafoam, Stabil and Star Tron in my shop and they all seem to work fine. Star Tron treats more gallons for the $$$.
Always use non ethanol (without exception, whatever the cost) and as mentioned when getting 5-6 gal jugs the fuel gets treated as soon as gets home, and this works great for all my small engines. The boat gas gets treated on the last tankful of the fall season, and stored full.
I have a Westinghouse 7500 generator for a house back-up and put in a propane conversion kit because we have a 500 gal tank, and piped into it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been using Sta-Bil in our sleds, mowers and wheelers for over a decade and have had zero issues starting them after long term storage.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I have a deer lease truck that is basically in storage because I haven't had a deer lease in several years. I start it about once a month and run it until it gets warm. I add five gallons of fresh gas with an ounce of ethanol Stabil every couple of months. Last year I didn't start it as much because the fuel pump quit, the alternator died and the carb started leaking. After I rebuilt the carb , replaced the fuel pump and and alternator (AC Delco still makes NEW alternators for '80 Chev trucks) it ran REAL bad. It ran good after I drained the carb and added ten gallons of fresh gas. According to live science gasoline goes go bad because of evaporation and ethanol makes it even worse. I'm going to fill up one of my 20 gal gas tanks with ethanol free gas and keep it full. That should cut way down on evaporation because the won't be any air in the tank. The fuel gauge on the other tank doesn't work anyway. I need to get this truck licensed and start driving it every once in a while instead of just letting it sit.

https://www.livescience.com/58117-does-gasoline-go-bad.html

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
As someone already said get a diesel ....I have a small generator with a yanmar...also a big multi quip I can run 2 houses on has a little kubota 4 cyl...
Problem with gas generators every time I get mine out I have to take apart the carb and clean it...I use a gas powered Honda to pump water for cattle in the summer...mainly because I had it before the diesels...and i just need to keep it running...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 76 invisible), 3,063 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,228
Posts18,485,631
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.