Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I might carry a 357 carbine for protection against black bears and mountain lions...maybe. But I wouldn't go hunting for them with it. And I'd feel awful self conscious about hunting an elk with one.

HR IC

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
According to some folks here bullet placement is most important.. You should be fine. Even a .22lr should do it according to this philosophy!!! For me that is bs..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just curious, what state limits one to a 357? They will get a close range deer, would not try an Elk, unless really close. Heard of Shotgun only, and bullet size, velocity/energy restrictions but never 357 only/max.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Deer you’re fine. The 357 Mag is darn near a 30-30 out of an 18-20” barrel.

Elk, I wouldn’t.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I agree with others here. OK out to 50-75 yds on whitetail deer with good shot placement. I would not use it for Black Bear or Elk. Good chance you might not recover the animal. Bear and Elk are tough animals. They are more muscular and thicker than deer. Probably would not get a pass through with a 357. It makes it much more difficult to track them with only an entrance hole.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Deer, yes.

Elk, no.

this

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Just curious, what state limits one to a 357? They will get a close range deer, would not try an Elk, unless really close. Heard of Shotgun only, and bullet size, velocity/energy restrictions but never 357 only/max.

No limit to a 357 but several Midwest states have cartridge restrictions in place. The idea of the 357 is simply that I have a friend who is selling one and another friend in a restricted area that needs a deer (and someday elk) rifle for a young hunter.

thinking it maybe just the ticket after reading the posts here...with the assumption that the “someday elk”is not part of the equation.

GOD Bless America
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The "stay at home order" has me cruising this site more often now. I seldom contribute, just read others comments. However on this subject I feel I can contribute. I was a big game guide for 9 years, mostly deer and elk. Have been in on over 100 elk kills and the same number of mule deer and antelope. I used the 357 on 3 mule deer, all does and one good sized buck antelope. I used Remington 158 grain JHP's on all backed by 15 grains of 2400. I was not impressed at all on its killing power. Most required several hits and considerable time to die. Before these experiences I believed some of the hype and crawled into a black bears den to finish off a wounded bear with a 357. I was young and inexperienced at the time. On elk I would vote a definite "no". They can take a lot of lead to stop on occasion. However in controlled conditions everything is possible. I know a guide that killed 2 elk with a Colt Woodsman 22, and both elk were dead before the echo was gone.

Last edited by stuvwxyz; 03/26/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We haven't caught a 158 XTP in a deer yet, including some quartering shots. I load the FP version with 17.5 grn of Lil'Gun for a Marlin 1894 and Ruger 77/.357.

Why not get the .357 now and worry about the elk rifle when "someday" happens?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For elk an absolute NO!!!. For deer , maybe at 75 yds or closer & a smallish deer at 100 lbs or under. A 250 lb+ muley , no. The possibility of wounded & lost game is to high . Spend the money & get a more suitable rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Deer, yes.

Elk, no.

this

This again...and I'd forget hard cast bullets...use a good hollow point.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Are you serious?

Think about it.

Really

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
The "stay at home order" has me cruising this site more often now. I seldom contribute, just read others comments. However on this subject I feel I can contribute. I was a big game guide for 9 years, mostly deer and elk. Have been in on over 100 elk kills and the same number of mule deer and antelope. I used the 357 on 3 mule deer, all does and one good sized buck antelope. I used Remington 158 grain JHP's on all backed by 15 grains of 2400. I was not impressed at all on its killing power. Most required several hits and considerable time to die. Before these experiences I believed some of the hype and crawled into a black bears den to finish off a wounded bear with a 357. I was young and inexperienced at the time. On elk I would vote a definite "no". They can take a lot of lead to stop on occasion. However in controlled conditions everything is possible. I know a guide that killed 2 elk with a Colt Woodsman 22, and both elk were dead before the echo was gone.
If all that was from a .357 CARBINE then your shot placement sucked, plain and simple. From a carbine, muzzle velocity is generally 400-500+ fps higher than the same loads fired from a 6" revolver turning the .357 into a completely different animal. Those here saying the .357 CARBINE is only effective on deer at 50-75 yards are also full of shyt. When fired from a carbine, retained velocity/energy is significantly higher at 100 yards than the same load fired from a 6" revolver has at the muzzle. My Marlin proved effective on deer well beyond 100 yards on more than one occasion.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Blackheart
If all that was from a .357 CARBINE then your shot placement sucked, plain and simple. From a carbine, muzzle velocity is generally 400-500+ fps higher than the same loads fired from a 6" revolver turning the .357 into a completely different animal. Those here saying the .357 CARBINE is only effective on deer at 50-75 yards are also full of shyt. When fired from a carbine, retained velocity/energy is significantly higher at 100 yards than the same load fired from a 6" revolver has at the muzzle. My Marlin proved effective on deer well beyond 100 yards on more than one occasion.

Well that’s because you are John J. Rambo of the Adirondacks. 😆

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Hey carrot brain. Still trying to figure out how to tie your own shoes this afternoon ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Blackheart brought up a point that I failed to mention. All my experiences , a total of 4 not counting the wounded bear, were with handguns. Two deer with a 8 3/8" barreled revolver and 2 with a 6" barreled revolver. And he also mentioned my shot placement sucked. Damn I didn't know there were any witnesses to my shooting. And yes on two of the animals shot placement was iffy. But one doe shot through the lungs stayed alive for a good 15 minutes and was still breathing when found. The buck antelope was perfect placement and did the usual 100 yard death run. A carbine would sure be a great improvement in energy and shot placement. I take no exception to his comments on my shooting. However ALWAYSOUTDOORS call me "Rambo of the Adirondacks" which my wife DID NOT call me when she found out about my encounter in the bear den. She was of a different opinion than ALWAYS. She called me "The Forest Gump of the Rockies".

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Mule deer are not Collie sized whitetails.

Good way to ruin a kid by seeing his first beautiful deer run off never to be seen again because he was shot with a P shooter.

LC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

Hey carrot brain. Still trying to figure out how to tie your own shoes this afternoon ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If a kid/new hunter can't reliably place his/her shots in the vitals they aren't ready to go hunting period. Anybody who can reliably place their shots through a deer's lungs at 100 yards will make meat with an accurate .357 carbine.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Why not just get a decent rifle to begin with??

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,519
Posts18,491,007
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.