Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Forecast: Tens of thousands in U.S. might die by July

New COVID-19 Forecasts: US Hospitals Could Be Overwhelmed in the Second Week of April by Demand for ICU Beds, and US Deaths Could Total 81,000 by July

Hope that they are wrong. In the meantime, I am still 'sheltering in place' and have months of food and essentials...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Meh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as they are going to make unfounded doom and gloom predictions, I'm going to go out on limb and make mine.

Everything will be back to normal by the end of next week after DFlave reappears on the first and announces that this has all been a part of his most epic April Fools prank to date.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The government started walking back their high number claims in the press meeting yesterday. Those idiots can't even get their modeling right. There are private individual's modeling that has been dead-on-accurate from the beginning, yet the government is lost. Proof these people work for government, because they'd never make it in the real world.

They pushed this too far, and all will pay dearly.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
https://news.trust.org/item/20200326232240-2yx1f

Yes, by way, way, way less than the millions predicted by some in beginning.

Remember swine flu? That killed like 60K, and we didn’t stop one basketball game.

We are in day 9 of my 30 day “Road to Learn about C19 Tour”. I figured that it would take at least 30 days to have the data to almost fully understand what we are dealing with. Most of what is going to discussed between now and then, is just hot air. About another 3 weeks will give everyone a lot more relevant information as far as life in the US.

Do I think millions will die? Not right now. Are the measures we are taking going to help. Yes, I believe it will for a short period of time. But collapsing the economy will do way more damage.

Interesting times!

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I don’t know, but my BS meter is pegged out on this covid chit. The regular flu, H1N1, swine, bird and what ever else was way worse and the country never shut down. Something is going on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Total and utter BS. America is being hosed.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by viking
I don’t know, but my BS meter is pegged out on this covid chit. The regular flu, H1N1, swine, bird and what ever else was way worse and the country never shut down. Something is going on.

THIS, its had a bad smell from the onset. Sumthin' aint right

.... like tears in the rain
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
From an article on CNN

Why worry about coronavirus when the flu kills many more people?

The novel coronavirus is dangerous for several reasons, even if the number of deaths haven’t matched that of the flu.

The first US case of coronavirus was reported in January, and the first US death from coronavirus was reported in late February. By March 26, the US had more than 78,000 cases of coronavirus, and at least 1,135 people have died.

Since this flu season started October 1, more than 23,000 Americans have died from the flu, according to CDC estimates. Nationwide, the flu has infected at least 34 million people between October and mid-March.

But here are key differences when comparing the flu vs. coronavirus:

The CDC estimates for the flu go back to October 2019. But the first US case of coronavirus didn’t emerge until several months later.

Coronavirus is twice as contagious as the flu. Research indicates a person with the flu infects an average of 1.28 other people, Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said. But with coronavirus, “it’s likely between two and three” other people.

Coronavirus infections have a “very high mortality rate – one in six – among people who are over 80 and people with underlying chronic disease,” epidemiologist Dr. Abdul El-Sayed said.

People with coronavirus might not get symptoms for 14 days, and some get no symptoms at all. But during that time, they’re still contagious and can infect others unknowingly.

A vaccine is available for the flu, but no vaccine is available for coronavirus. Experts say the number of flu deaths could be drastically reduced if more people got their flu shots. But about half of Americans don’t get vaccinated, including most children who die from the flu.

Anyone can be affected: ‘Perfectly healthy’ Texas dad with coronavirus dies from COVID-19, family says.
This, according to Fox News, https://www.foxnews.com/health/perfectly-healthy-texas-dad-with-coronavirus-dies

Fox News, reports:
WORST OUTCOME

In a worst-case scenario, without serious mitigation efforts, hospital beds in the U.S. could be full by April and 2.2 million Americans could die of the virus – not to mention those who would die of other ailments because they couldn’t get medical care – a study from the Imperial College London concluded, according to The Atlantic.

BEST CASE

It’s possible the bulk of social distancing could be over within a month or two if the virus turns out to be “not be a serious pathogen, suddenly,” said William Hanage, an epidemiology professor at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, according to the Atlantic, but experts say this scenario is unlikely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hysterical.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
From an article on CNN

Why worry about coronavirus when the flu kills many more people?

The novel coronavirus is dangerous for several reasons, even if the number of deaths haven’t matched that of the flu.

The first US case of coronavirus was reported in January, and the first US death from coronavirus was reported in late February. By March 26, the US had more than 78,000 cases of coronavirus, and at least 1,135 people have died.

Since this flu season started October 1, more than 23,000 Americans have died from the flu, according to CDC estimates. Nationwide, the flu has infected at least 34 million people between October and mid-March.

But here are key differences when comparing the flu vs. coronavirus:

The CDC estimates for the flu go back to October 2019. But the first US case of coronavirus didn’t emerge until several months later.

Coronavirus is twice as contagious as the flu. Research indicates a person with the flu infects an average of 1.28 other people, Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta said. But with coronavirus, “it’s likely between two and three” other people.

Coronavirus infections have a “very high mortality rate – one in six – among people who are over 80 and people with underlying chronic disease,” epidemiologist Dr. Abdul El-Sayed said.

People with coronavirus might not get symptoms for 14 days, and some get no symptoms at all. But during that time, they’re still contagious and can infect others unknowingly.

A vaccine is available for the flu, but no vaccine is available for coronavirus. Experts say the number of flu deaths could be drastically reduced if more people got their flu shots. But about half of Americans don’t get vaccinated, including most children who die from the flu.

Anyone can be affected: ‘Perfectly healthy’ Texas dad with coronavirus dies from COVID-19, family says.
This, according to Fox News, https://www.foxnews.com/health/perfectly-healthy-texas-dad-with-coronavirus-dies

Fox News, reports:
WORST OUTCOME

In a worst-case scenario, without serious mitigation efforts, hospital beds in the U.S. could be full by April and 2.2 million Americans could die of the virus – not to mention those who would die of other ailments because they couldn’t get medical care – a study from the Imperial College London concluded, according to The Atlantic.

BEST CASE

It’s possible the bulk of social distancing could be over within a month or two if the virus turns out to be “not be a serious pathogen, suddenly,” said William Hanage, an epidemiology professor at the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, according to the Atlantic, but experts say this scenario is unlikely.

WHY are you posting this BS?

90% of the info has been disproven as FALSE.

Do you work for CNN?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They backed off the 2.2 million figure a few days ago saying they realize that was not even close to realistic.

But what matters? Whatever it is, it is. Ain't gonna change it and I am not loosing any sleep over it.

Now sleep loss due to soreness doing things by hand around the farm I haven't done in months.. thats another subject. LOL. mid to upper 90s heat and digging post holes by hand and striping white wood off cedar posts with an axe. that will loose some sleep for ya... LOL

And stupid pluck idiots buying all the Tylenol now for 2-3 weeks. Lucky we tend to buy stuff 2-3 bottles of 500 at a time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i realize the numbers are not impressive currently, when compared to other similar health threats, and they may never exceed the prior threats. problem is they are peaking for a given region at the same time.

How many or which of the prior virus/influenza health threat(s) resulted in medical facilities being inundated with severely ill and dying patients? Can anyone ever remember this happening before? Speak up.

Or, do you not believe the news reports or frantic video clips of nurses working 24 hour shifts wth no ability to properly treat these patients? With dwindling and sick staff? Dwindling space, PPE, medications, equipment, to the point that life-saving response needs to be rationed?

Last edited by sse; 03/27/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sse
i realize the numbers are not impressive currently, when compared to other similar health threats, and they may never exceed the prior threats. problem is they are peaking for a given region at the same time.

How many or which of the prior virus/influenza health threat(s) resulted in medical facilities being inundated with severely ill and dying patients? Can anyone ever remember this happening before? Speak up.

Or, do you not believe the news reports or frantic video clips of nurses working 24 hour shifts wth no ability to properly treat these patients? With dwindling and sick staff? Dwindling space, PPE, medications, equipment, to the point that life-saving response needs to be rationed?

Much like the U.S. isn't Italy, most of it isn't NYC,NOLA,LA,CHI,SEA,HOU etc either.

Many Americans could easily go days if not weeks with little to no personal contact with another human[beyond those living with].
Although still not 100% on board I'm following the guidelines fairly closely doing my best to help calm the spread and I believe that most are.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse

Tell us more about the dead patients... as in how many?

My sources on the west coast tell me several hospitals and clinics are empty. Once test kits arrived and people tested negative they cleared out.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Better hope it doesn’t get worse honestly. Er numbers across the country are down about 35-40%. They are laying nurse practitioners and physicians assistants off at some places. They cut our hours significantly today as our volumes are down for the past 7 days. I effectively took a 23% pay cut but still obligated to work the same amount of days.

Not sure what they will do if it does get worse cause they are shooting themselves in the foot. We aren’t legally or contractually obligated to work beyond contracted hours, which I can terminate at any moment without legal ramifications. When and if the surge hits other areas it’s gonna be hard to staff. Especially if the providers start getting sick. We are being pushed around to the point that some are just quiting now. Why risk your life ??

You can blame that on corporate management groups who staff ER’s across the nation. Our CEO took a very small pay cut. Mid levels took 22% on average, docs more like 40%.

Gonna be interesting

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You are like an hysterical woman for hells sake!!! Get a grip.

Last edited by Springcove; 03/27/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have not seen any frantic ER clips, or "nurses working 24 hour shifts". Not to say it is not taking place. But anyone who really works a single 24 hr shift, is going to need some time off VERY soon.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Springcove
You are like hysterical woman for hells sake!!! Get a grip.

Just a quick reality check. I know many of us are already getting numb to the MSM blitz. Other of us live in areas that have had minimal impact, to date. Others, maybe just don't give a chit.

But the reality is, we are relatively early in the curve still. This chart (now a day or two behind) shows the recent identified cases. Each dot is a day. I don't post it to sensationalize anything, or to try to give any credence to "the sky is falling". But it does show a pretty vertical line of identified cases.

Yes, some of that is due to increased testing. But there is also undoubtedly some pretty aggressive infection rates. I don't think anyone can argue that. So for all you "the flu is worse" guys, the whole point that so many of us have been trying to make is, even with lower CFR than initially thought (thank GOD!), the sheer VOLUME could be problematic. And as you can see, there WILL be more volume. And that has ALWAYS been the concern.

I hope those of you here that are completely dismissing this as some media hoax aren't running around in your communities and being irresponsible. You will only help to prolong this mess.

Identified US cases by day: (FYI: Chart is a day or two behind - we will be at ~100k cases by the end of today)

[Linked Image][u][/u]

Last edited by duck911; 03/27/20.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’d like to know why there isn’t more testing? Locally they aren’t even testing most people with symptoms.

It’s almost like they are intentionally keeping the numbers low.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (204guy, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,496 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,424
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.