Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I keep a set of electronic muffs next to my short AR.

+1

MM

My electronic muffs are in the range bag on the floor within a few feet of my loaded AR.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
6 yards? Transition to your fixed bayonet!

How did we ever fight with a A1/A2? Guess I'm just old....

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
6 yards? Transition to your fixed bayonet!

How did we ever fight with a A1/A2? Guess I'm just old....

LOL. That's what I'm talking about. Repelling boarders, i.e., someone's busting down the door, or in the house. I don't live in a mansion, so there are no grand vistas within the house. I bet no one would do any better with a red dot than with iron sights in a situation like that. But then, what do I know?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Butt stroke, parry, thrust, slash, muzzle to face, Danners and Chippewas to shins in a Harley kickstart motion.
It ain't just the incoming fire they better worry about.

The whole rifle is a system. Be prepared to use it all. Optics are WAY after those basics.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I just figured out that the maximum possible range within my home is 12 yards, which is assuming I'm opening my bedroom door with the AR in hand and see someone busting in through my laundry room's door which opens to the back porch.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimmyp
With a weapon light the red dot if set properly works pretty good. The smaller red dots set as far forward are cool cause you can keep both eyes open looking around and in the area ahead.

Add a Laser / Light Combo for the WIN!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Has anyone scientifically verified this with a timer? I'm talking about max distances of like six yards.

Of course. There is no comparison. The issue isn’t in raw time side by side- though red dots are faster. The difference is during stress, low light, moving targets, etc. Point shooting is not an answer, guns aren’t magic you must destroy vital organs.

No organization whose primary function is to shoot at close range uses irons.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Currently....

There was a day....

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Has anyone scientifically verified this with a timer? I'm talking about max distances of like six yards.

Of course. There is no comparison. The issue isn’t in raw time side by side- though red dots are faster. The difference is during stress, low light, moving targets, etc. Point shooting is not an answer, guns aren’t magic you must destroy vital organs.

Okay, thanks.

I have thee ARs. One has an AimPoint Micro T2 (stays on all the time, battery changed out once a year), one has an Eotech, and one has iron sights only. I guess I will continue keeping the one with the AimPoint T2 loaded up and ready to go. I was thinking of switching to the one with the traditional A2 sights.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Use the A2 as your shower gun...

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Inside 7 yards I prefer a Glock17 with a Streamlight TL on the rail. You can see the 300 lumen beam even in the daylight, and what is in the center of the beam is in the center of my group. Dont even search for the sights.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Limapapa
Inside 7 yards I prefer a Glock17 with a Streamlight TL on the rail. You can see the 300 lumen beam even in the daylight, and what is in the center of the beam is in the center of my group. Dont even search for the sights.

What if your battery is dead??? At OH Schitt distances, focus on the front sight. The bullet will go where it goes.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/28/20.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Use the A2 as your shower gun...

I actually keep a gun in the bathroom where I take showers. It's a Springfield TRP 1911. Never goes in the shower, but it's not far from it. It's in the towel pantry. But I've got loaded guns in various places. I'm pretty tricky that way. Also, unless I'm actually in the shower ( grin ), I always have one on me, even if I'm just wearing a bathrobe.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Electronic muffs also have the advantage of sound amplification, not heard with normal hearing.

use a Glock 40 with Underwoods at 2300 fps. for nightstand. and Holosun dot, and light, electronic muffs. (Dot has auto on/off)

For serious stuff, a NFA AK-47 with forward Ultimak scout type mount and a tried and tested Tasco 42mm Propoint, which as pointed out amounts to a more visible front sight type setup. If the they are in the "circle" its a hit.

Also keep 4th of July smoke bombs and whistlers handy

Downstairs, 300 AR pistol with 40 rd. mags, 208s loaded to 1200fps, and Blackout powder (no flash, lower pressure) Tru-Glo, laser and light combo mounted top rail, laser can be used and visible thru Dot window, if either battery goes down. (Dot site has 4 reticles, depending on lighting.)

Pool house, Troy AR-15, 1x8 Eagle Vortex. 75 gr. HPBT

And for those that are trying to run away, a Sako TRG 22, 308, and Vortex Razor located for easy access on the roof.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
If your interested:

Hearing loss is frequency dependent. The smallest, shortest, hairs which are the weakest, are killed first. Called high frequency roll off. Most of the sound information folks hear is contained in the lower frequency of the sound spectrum, as it has more "information" in it. Computer compression programs such as MPS (cosine transform), change the information to contain the largest amount between the lower range of frequency range. The FBI uses Wavelet compression to reduce storage space in the same manner for fingerprints and keeping profiles of people.

The human hearing system uses a more refined but similar system to pick out sounds from the background. (Cocktail syndrome)

The point is--- folks don't notice high frequency loss as much as low frequency, so claims that one or two shots don't matter is false, as most sound are rarely above 12000 cps.

Unless you play the violin of course.

Or staying alive is more important than hearing your wife nag.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And there it is in plain language.............................

MM

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

And there it is in plain language.............................

MM

And it's mirrored on the "shoot fast" competition circuit as well.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Red dot is faster, makes a difference in competition, and makes sense for certain professionals.

One can still handily defend the house with irons.

I'd choose a decent light before a red dot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in a unit that had three silver star recipients from Iraq or Afghanistan, one person has two awards. All from protracted firefights with the bad guys.

All came home and put red dots and laser lights on their personal weapons, and all recommend them to anyone who asks.

Everyone says their training and superior personal weapons craft were the deciding factors. All sing the praises of being able to acquire and fire on targets who were still trying to get them in their sight picture.

No one who came back after actually being in close quarters combat says anything negative about red dots or lasers for CQB.

And these are GIs, and GIs talk [bleep] about anything that doesn’t work.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I was in a unit that had three silver star recipients from Iraq or Afghanistan, one person has two awards. All from protracted firefights with the bad guys.

All came home and put red dots and laser lights on their personal weapons, and all recommend them to anyone who asks.

Everyone says their training and superior personal weapons craft were the deciding factors. All sing the praises of being able to acquire and fire on targets who were still trying to get them in their sight picture.

No one who came back after actually being in close quarters combat says anything negative about red dots or lasers for CQB.

And these are GIs, and GIs talk [bleep] about anything that doesn’t work.

That sounds pretty weighty.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,843 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.