Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wiseguy isn't a bad release. The Carter Two Shot is by far my favorite index finger release.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have always shot a caliper finger release but recently shot a Stan SX-3 thumb release. Man, what a clean break like a well tuned rifle trigger. Super adjustable for creep and travel. I will be switching over before the fall.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Carter Chocolate Addiction 2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Tru-Ball wrist strap for decades, roll it up to 12 o'clock when walking in or out so you can get to your sidearm if needed.

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if your close to where a pro shop has a indoor range and archer`s are there shooting ask some questions when your there maybe even shoot some ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Carter Chocolate Addiction 2

A great release I have shot many many arrows with and have killed a few animals with. But it isn't a release for everyone or even a beginner with outing trying first.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I also use many other releases. I like the Trufire Hardcore buckle-It is also a go to release. There are a couple of things that I want to say about compound bow releases:
1) Some people don't know the difference between something good and something that is not good.
2) I have found that if you start with the best possible tool when you start and get through the learning curve that you get better faster than if you start with something bad and try to make the best of it. Filson says, " Might as well get the best."
3) Bow releases are like other things in archery, largely dependent on what you like. Everybody has an [bleep] and everybody has an opinion.

mbrook Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you for the thoughts on releases. When our Governor lifts the stay at home order (proshops and gun stores are considered non-essential and therefore are closed), and if any proshops survive this craziness, we will visit a couple and start with the releases you have recommended.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had the same Scott model for 30+ years. The leather is getting a tad old and broken. Time for new one I suppose. Hope I can find the same "style". Would hate to start learning new one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mbrook
Need recommendations for a new release for my young adult son. He is getting back into bow hunting and asking for a new release. He has a Winn Free Flight glove release and is looking to upgrade. He has a 70lb max compound bow. Any thoughts? Thank you.
Anything else is a downgrade.

If he has the C10 for hooking to the serving and wants to use a loop, just cut off the ears off the release. Then he can hook it through the loop. The ears are the only difference. I did that and it works great. I asked Winn if I could do that and one of their techs told me he did the same thing.
Mine is more than 25 years old, still the original glove, and it works as good as when I bought it.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a d - shackle aluminum screw on release loop to use instead string loop, but I'm wondering if this would increase wear and damage to the string? Has anyone tried these long enough to see if it shafes or wears weak spots around the metal to string contact?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hookeye
Buddy laughed at me, shooting an old Fletchunter.
Then he tried it.
Ended up winning the IBO triple crown with one.

Went to a shoot, dealer that ran the place laughed.
Let him try mine.
He started selling them.

Another bud works pro shop, just hunts though. He tried a Fletchunter shorty wrist and liked it, then tried the "latest and greatest"
and went back to the Fletchunter after a couple of other releases.
Looks like most places don't carry em anymore.

Dunno if still available from Fletcher. Were not cheap, but not expensive either.
Never see them advertised on the TV shows either. Dunno if they ever had a "pro staff".

Think around 75 bucks.

I put proly 50K shots through one, zero problems. Sold it with the bow when I went recurve for a stretch.

To be honest, I started early 80's w a Joy Valley, and it broke a little spring.
Said EF that and went Fletchunter.

Single jaw, over center linkage w rollers. Simple and durable.
Since I got an old Oneida to mess with, will try to find another newer style "shorty" version.

I still shoot my fletchhunter, that I bought in 1993 or 94. It was the second release I bought, after the first one destroyed a serving and started misfiring. Have shot a few others, and many were cooler, but none offered any performance improvement. This makes me feel really old.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
You could go for the last version, the curved trigger 3D shorty -you won't be that old then wink
Think they're discontinued.
Shame.
But they don't advertise with celebs.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
No one can recommend something like this. He needs to try out as many releases as he can and see what he likes best.

This is excellent advice.

I started ot with a Winn Free Flite, then used a number of other trigger releases.

Finally settled on a Carter Chocolate Addiction thumb release.

Have a Stan sitting around here somewhere I tried as well, need to put a for sale sign on it.

β€œFactio democratica delenda est"
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
I got a d - shackle aluminum screw on release loop to use instead string loop, but I'm wondering if this would increase wear and damage to the string? Has anyone tried these long enough to see if it shafes or wears weak spots around the metal to string contact?

From what I have read, the aluminum release shackles are garbage. Noisy, reduce velocity, tear up your release jaws and risk injury if the screws let go.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I tried one many years ago. A few dozen shots and I took it off. Maybe they've changed them since then but it wasn't tall enough and it was hard getting the release jaws through it. I didn't have it long enough to know what it did to the serving.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
When he decides on one he likes, buy two of them. Carry the spare in the field. You don't want to be down and out when the one you're used to is broken. Additionally, it seems just when you get one you really like, they change it up on you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with a wrist caliper release and it was very accurate trigger, with a light crisp trigger. That said it was cumbersome to use and not hunting friendly for me.

I tried a thumb release but just didn't work well for me.

I went with a Scott hook wrist release, I hunt coyotes with my bow and It frees up my hand to run an e-call or mouth call and can quickly draw the bow for a shot.

My bow is quite short which really eliminates using a finger release.

My bowfishing bow is a longer recurve and there I use a finger release as any kind of release hanging off my wrist gets in the way retrieving line and a thumb release would bound to end up in the drink if I had to lay it down every time I shot the bow.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Trufire makes a good one, and I just bought the new Stan Extension 2. I have shot lit very little but so far it has moved to the top of my list of favorite wrist style releases.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perfect for me;

[Linked Image from pickabow.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.