Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L

Is there anything that can be done on the Winchester 70 Safari Express to have another round in the magazine, making it a 4 shots magazine?

I believe that there is a custom route to have it done (with new stock etc).

But I would prefer something easier and cheapier... new springs? New flooplate? Anything?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As I recall there is a thread about this very same subject over on AR in the Gunsmithing forum. Believe the 'smith that has an aftermarket solution not involving a custom floorplate is Duane ????.

Also, which mag spring are you using - the one with the big 'hump'? If so, substituting that for a 'regular' spring would be my first thought for a DIY fix.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your going to spend the money for 4 shots, you may as well go for 5 SHOTS.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
change to the non-magnum spring

Who is John Galt?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
One reason I like the PF models, The 4th round lowers enough into the magazine to chamber easily or simply drops into the chamber to create a 4 round final stalk on dangerous game.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by mrfudd
change to the non-magnum spring

Bingo--find the spring without the hump.

X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I used a Rem 700 magnum mag spring in mine. It easily holds 4 down. I've cycled it enough to know it works, but I'd cycle it alot more before hanging my life on it. Just part of proving a rifle though. Mine's a 375H&H by the way.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Uhmmm, sorry but I dont have a Win mag spring here, so I dont know how the original spring with hump are...

I liked the idea of changing the spring!
But, for what spring?

X2mosg, the Win 70 I think to buy is the .375 H&H, so your experience on changing the original spring to the Rem 700 mag springs sounds good! Any other modification or it is just a simple change?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start with this - P/N -U356420930 MAGAZINE SPRING L/A from Winchester. This is the mag spring w/o the 'hump'. $4 from Winchester Parts Dept.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
LRC,

If you can I'd do what WiFowler is suggesting. If you can't get that one, the Remington will take just a little bit of Dremel/grinding work on the leading end that fits into the floor plate. The end has to be tapered or stepped down to fit into the little "pocket" on the front end. Takes about 5 minutes to do it. No big deal.

David

P.S. On second thought, it may have been the end that fits into the follower. Either way it's an easy adjustment to make.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You may be thinking of Duane Wiebe, Sound Metal Products. He offers bottom metal for the Win M-70 in standard and 375 H&H length cartridges that hold 5 rounds.

I have no experience with the product but Wiebe has a significant reputation as a metalsmith.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
THanks Wildcatter264!!!

I already sent him an email asking more info about it.

He has a product called XRM that looks like a new magazine box (plus a new spring) to make the Win70 holds one more round.

I will post here as soon as he answer my email.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
As promissed, here is Duane Wiebe answer about the XMR magazine:

"We designed he box for the "classic" Apparently there's enough brilliant changes in the (FN) that the XRM is not compatible. If I can get a hold of a newer model, we might see what can be done"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Assume your rifle is a 375? I queried him on my 416 New Haven and he thought his box would not work but wasn't sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just replaced the magbox and follower with the correct Winchester parts.Redneck provided the part numbers as I recall in the gunsmithing forum.
It works so slick I might get 4+1 engraved in the follower.
I also picked up the Ultramag box, in case I get 404 fever.

Last edited by jeff270; 04/03/11.

Life is life and fun is fun but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.
Bror Blixen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tony
. . . I queried him on my 416 New Haven and he thought his box would not work but wasn't sure.

I've had some communication with Duane regarding a 4 round magazine for NH M70 Classic L/A Magnum chambered for 416 Ruger. He said it was not a round that he had tried and that currently he was lacking an action to try it out on. I'm considering sending my action to him so that he can try . . . but that would further delay getting the whole works to Redneck for the re-barrel. frown

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by Tony
. . . I queried him on my 416 New Haven and he thought his box would not work but wasn't sure.

I've had some communication with Duane regarding a 4 round magazine for NH M70 Classic L/A Magnum chambered for 416 Ruger. He said it was not a round that he had tried and that currently he was lacking an action to try it out on. I'm considering sending my action to him so that he can try . . . but that would further delay getting the whole works to Redneck for the re-barrel. frown

I was thinking the same and may do so when I get home as I am currently reworking a stock for it and can be without the barreled action for a bit.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Bringing this back from the dead. Anyone have one of these they would sell or can point me in the right direction for a 4 shot spring. Rifle is South Carolina made 375.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,203 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.